PDA

View Full Version : RDC cones

realysm42
24-02-2012, 22:47
Got some of these today:

1x set of RDC 5 cones

1x set of RDC 2 cones

1x set of RDC cone cups

The 5's have gone under my dac, I've got the points facing down and attached it to unit with blu tac (I did my best to get it perfectly proportioned but much to my frustration, one corner stuck in the air by a mm, so have an 8kg weight on it for now, will leave it for a few hours to settle).

The other bits have all gone under my sub, given the drive took so long (left at 2, got back at 8.30 and my mate doesn't hang about in his motor lol). I'm desparate to try it out, but obviously can't yet, will have to wait for tomorrow.

My first setup was the excited schoolkid method chucked everythig together and was extremely disappointed. After having done the above with the weight, actually spacing the cones out properly on the dac, my disappointment has turned into pleasant surprise (and relief :eyebrows:).

What are your experiences of adding this kind of gear to your system?

I'm noticing (I think it's micro) detail is upped a couple of notches, everything sound like there's so much more going on (in a good way). All of the small details are handled better and slightly more apparent; is this the normal effect in your experiences?

jandl100
25-02-2012, 07:42
Yup, I like the RDC accessories - I've had quite a few of the cones in my time.

I started off with the smaller RDC2 cones like you have got, but after a while thought I'd investigate a 3-some of the larger and more expensive RDC1 cones.
Well, I have to tell you that it just gets better! :)

You could even get speakers with cabinets made from RDC - bloody great big things in a cubic/chunky sort of way - not cheap, not cheap at all, and I haven't heard them but reviews were pretty ecstatic.

It seems like it is an excellent damping compound.

Darren
25-02-2012, 08:23
Whereas I couldn't hear any difference at all with RDC cones under my kit.

realysm42
25-02-2012, 09:56
Whereas I couldn't hear any difference at all with RDC cones under my kit.

What did you use and how did you use it?

realysm42
27-02-2012, 00:13
Just took the cone cups and combined them with the ones on my dac, the difference isn't huge, but it's definitely noticable.

Enough to tempt me into getting the combi-bases. I'm wary of "too much of a good thing", but so far it's just coaxing more and more detail from the music :)

realysm42
25-04-2012, 22:49
Just RDC'd everything (so the speaker stands and the equipment rack).

I turned my sub off (so as not to wind the neighbours up too much). I could still feel the bass in the floor, a phenomenom I've never encoutered with my bookshelfs before. The most noticable effect this mod has had is improving the mid-range bass my speakers produce a great deal and allowing more detail out of the music; eveything just sounds more 'together'.

I can't say what effect it's had on the rack (I imagine it's all culmative) but I'm extremely happy with it overall :D