PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone remember this?

northwest
24-02-2012, 22:25
I cannot remember what it was called but it was an anti-static treatment from way back in the late 70's early 80's and you got these little stickers that you could stick on your records to show you had treated them with this anti static treatment?
Anyhow, all of the records (about twenty or so) that I have that were treated this way are in absolutely mint condition so it was worth it, or so it appears:

http://immersible.co.uk/hifi/treatedlp.JPG

Sounded great today anyway. On the subject of treatment, I have just recieved an LP from an ebay seller (rare record it is too) and it has absolutely stank the house up - Fag Smoke! Never experienced anything quite so bad in years. :steam:

shane
24-02-2012, 22:41
Permastat.

northwest
24-02-2012, 22:48
Permastat.

Top man, thank you. They still around? ....off to consult Google

Darren
24-02-2012, 23:15
Anyone remember Cantorian discrex as beloved of Jimmy Hughs?

Audioman
25-02-2012, 00:47
Anyone remember Cantorian discrex as beloved of Jimmy Hughs?

Yes used it and thought it was quite good at the time. Eventualy just used the pads for cleaning with isopropal solution until they wore out. I think most records I used this on have been recleaned with disco antistat and/or the RCM.

sq225917
25-02-2012, 01:36
Graham, do you wear glasses and suffer from poor eye hand co-rodination? ;-)

Audioman
25-02-2012, 11:30
Graham. If you want to actualy clean records and keep reasonably static free I would suggest an RCM will work out much cheaper in the long run. A cheaper alternative is the Disco-Antistat (but rinse off the supplied fluid by passing thro purified water).

shane
26-02-2012, 11:56
Permastat was a clear liquid which you sprayed on a new LP and buffed up with the pads supplied. The idea was that it made the record surface permanently very slightly conductive, thus eliminating static buildup. I treated a few albums with it and it seemed to do what it promised, but some albums were left with a slightly alarming looking residue, and would stick to their inner sleeves. Didn't seem to harm SQ in any way though, and thirty years later those albums are still quiet, so I guess it worked! Don't think it's available any more though.

shane
26-02-2012, 11:59
Correction. It's still available. Not cheap, though!

http://www.hifix.co.uk/sku.lasso?item=6dcde39818d5a4589af67de86c895c48

northwest
26-02-2012, 12:06
Graham, do you wear glasses and suffer from poor eye hand co-rodination? ;-)

Ahh! alluding to the marks on the label I presume?
Let me put it this way, thirty years ago I was a lot younger, much more reckless and recreational pharmaceuticals were readily available. Does that answer your question?

Thanks for the advice regarding availability of this stuff but Martin has quite generously offered me the loan of his RCM (while I develop a strategy of obtaining my own!) so I am going to try that out first then take it from there.
I am very shocked to hear just how dirty some of the records are that I have obtained recently. Snap! Crackle and POP! isn't in it! terrible.

DSJR
26-02-2012, 12:16
Permastat was the spawn of the devil. EVERYONE used too much and its self-limiting aspects weren't that good, so loads of gunge would come off on the stylus with every playing. Ghastly stuff. I had more luck with the similar "Soundguard" treatment which was appied in a similar way.

A few years later, the Hunt P2 formulation, based on a dry-cleaning liquid (Halocarbon 113 apparently as analysed by an industrial chemist we had as a client) was set to try to remove all this gunk, together with the mould-release agent in the grooves. The difference to treble quality was astounding and, on album tracks I had an acetate for, the treated discs sounded more like the master acetate, so a "plus" in my book. Even P2 wasn't without its problems, surface noise sometimes increasing.

As to the Cantorion cleaner, I can vouch for it as it seemed to give the best of all the prior treatments, reducing noise but seemingly increasing clarity too. I did buy one, but CD reproduction and "life" got in the way of me trying it properly, and the kit was ditched when my Dad moved and the family home was cleared out.