PDA

View Full Version : New Squeezebox Touch

colinB
22-02-2012, 21:03
Just got one of these tonight. Set it up in no time using it wirelessly from my laptop. Have to say im really pleased with it, especially with the spotify app.
I was going to put all my cds on my PS3 but im seriously considering using it as a stand alone player and ripping the music collection to Flac. I dont have a desktop anymore so i will have to think of what to use as media storage. Was thinking of a 2nd hand mac mini or getting a usb HDD for the laptop.
Any way , a lovely piece of kit and a bargain.

Covenant
22-02-2012, 21:37
Colin you have loads to discover. First of, have a good trawl of internet radio, if you haven't already. There are about 10000 stations some broadcasting in high bitrate. Radio Paradise and Linn Radio are a must. Shoutcast allows you to filter by bitrate.
Do you connect via a dac or analogue out?

colinB
22-02-2012, 21:42
Im playing it through toslink into my dac and having a lot of fun with it.
Im also very pleased that th headphone out is pretty good. Wishing i had not bought the headstreamer dac now as i have no need for it.
Wireless quality sounds great to me.

recoveryone
23-02-2012, 05:31
You are heading into some musical nirvana, once you get your collection all ripped and be able to use other apps.....Pandora, Lastfm..... you will ask yourself why did I wait so long. Just having all of that music as your finger tips, not having to get up and dig through hundreds of cases just to hear that one song. ENJOY!!!!

I just did some vids on the LMS and other SB items if your are interested...they are on youtube under "Recoveryone"

Bluedroog
23-02-2012, 10:38
In terms of storing your music collection have you seen the Vortexbox Appliance? There a few to choose from and they seem to offer a pretty good solution. Decent storage and a well thought out software as well as auto-ripping to FLAC. I'm sure you could get a better rip for FLACs with optimising settings etc but for computerphobes like me a system like this is very appealing. You can even use their software free so can build you own if you're either handy with electronics or even just turn an old computer into one. http://www.vortexbox.co.uk/VortexBox_Music_Appliance/p317978_706542.aspx

Another little tip is if you haven't already is to disable the volume on the Touch and set it to 100%, not just turned up, there is actually a setting to disable the control. It really cleared things up for me.

icehockeyboy
23-02-2012, 11:06
In terms of storing your music collection have you seen the Vortexbox Appliance? There a few to choose from and they seem to offer a pretty good solution. Decent storage and a well thought out software as well as auto-ripping to FLAC. I'm sure you could get a better rip for FLACs with optimising settings etc but for computerphobes like me a system like this is very appealing. You can even use their software free so can build you own if you're either handy with electronics or even just turn an old computer into one. http://www.vortexbox.co.uk/VortexBox_Music_Appliance/p317978_706542.aspx

Another little tip is if you haven't already is to disable the volume on the Touch and set it to 100%, not just turned up, there is actually a setting to disable the control. It really cleared things up for me.

How did it clear things up? :scratch:

Bluedroog
23-02-2012, 12:55
In my case I was having a particular problem with a slight hiss on my playback, I had blamed every thing from my cables, power amp and DAC. I then tried setting the volume to 100% as I had heard this was the best for sound being 'bit perfect' and it completely solved the issued. I had gone from having the kind of hiss that I couldn't live with to a perfectly clear and clean sound. I had been racking my brains for a solution and had considered attenuators before my amp and mains conditioners, in the end the Touch was the culprit and a quick flick through the options has completely changed my listening pleasure.

I realise I had a specific problem which made the results very obvious but I have read of many other people reporting good results too. It takes a few seconds to try so any one with a Touch may as well see how it works out for them if they can live without the digital volume.

colinB
23-02-2012, 14:41
Thanks lots of things to check out :)
Just to be clear, its not just a case of turning SB volume to max but actually disabaling the volume is that right?
Also if you are using optical their will be no point in upgrading power supplys i presume?

Bluedroog
23-02-2012, 14:50
Technically I'm not certain if just turning it up to 100% and disabling it dose exactly the same thing although I think it does. However there is actually an option in the settings which disables it / sets it to 100%. There is something which I believe is unique to digital volumes controls that deteriorate the signal, at 100% you get the full signal as it was intended. Again I would assume simply turning it to 100% would do the same job but may as well just disable it altogether.

It's worst experimenting, you may find that in the context of your system there's little difference and would rather have the use of the volume on the Touch remote. With my old amp I never noticed the hiss and used the volume happily. Now is a different story.

I'm honestly not sure on power supplies.

Fi-Wi
23-02-2012, 15:00
Take a look at Soundcheck's Tool Box 3.0 (http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com/2011/11/touch-toolbox-30.html) as well.

I've been told it's a great tweak.

After years of enjoying my SB Classic (and still do) I will now add a Touch to my main system to make full use of my Spotify Premium account.

colinB
23-02-2012, 17:17
Another interesting link thank you.
Someone at work has offered a itouch for £40. Its only 8gb but could be a useful remote. Ive no idea if it is compatible with windows media player though.

Ali Tait
23-02-2012, 17:25
Would you need it to be? If you just want it to control the SB, you just need the ipeng app downloaded onto it and away you go.

Bluedroog
23-02-2012, 18:06
iPeng has a lot of happy users, but somehow I prefer the basic remote that came with it. iPeng is so cheap though so you can just find out for your self if you already have the iphone / pod. For me it was worth a few quid just to show off to my mates when they come round :lol: then I revert back to the basic one. Maybe I haven't got to grips with it very well, some times I can't find how to play na track! :scratch:

But although £40 is cheap it's not the same as just trying the app, as I said, some love it, I'm not too fussed by it. Doe older version of ipod check if it works on that version of the ipod Touch.

colinB
23-02-2012, 18:12
Oh , ididnt realize the app was just a button remote interface , i imagined the albums/ artists would appear on the hand held screen just like they do on the SB screen.

Bluedroog
23-02-2012, 18:24
You do see art work, it is a good app don't get me wrong. I'm just so close to my Touch anyway and prefer buttons.

colinB
23-02-2012, 18:28
Mine is on the floor inbetween the speakers so i may need to move it before i end up doing my knees in.

Ali Tait
23-02-2012, 18:29
I haven't got ipeng, I use the android app, but if the ipeng is anything similar, it will display all that the screen will. The basic remote is ok as long as you are near enough to the Touch to read the screen. The Duet Controller (which I also have) works ok also, though it is a bit clunky and slow. My phone app works much faster.

colinB
23-02-2012, 18:41
That settles it then. Ages for the next phone upgrade so i will take up his offer.

Ali Tait
23-02-2012, 18:46
It's a good price I think.

colinB
23-02-2012, 19:08
I thought so. I imagine it does lots of other cool stuff as well that my £20 Nokia cant do.:)

Ali Tait
23-02-2012, 19:09
Aye!

Ashmore
23-02-2012, 21:30
Big vote of support for vortexbox from me. It is available as a free software download for an existing machine as well as a 'complete solution' (ie hardware and software). Really very good.

kininigin
23-02-2012, 21:41
Hi colin,

Are you finding the SBT a big improvement over the ps3/laptop?

I haven't really looked at the digital side of my system for a while,bar cables,and am wondering if it's worth it over the pc im using atm.

colinB
23-02-2012, 23:04
I find cd play back on playstation to be very good Darren, i just found the x-bar system a bit dissatisfying for tagging stuff. Streaming was a pain to. Jamast app for spotify doesnt work for some reason and ps3 media center wasnt right either. The SBtouch seems easy and the interface is great. Plus spotify is great, no drop outs.
I will use playstation for cd duties until i decide on a media storage solution.
I am curious to see if i can hear a difference between Flac files and the 320 wav on ps3. I dont expect to but i will give it a go.

Stratmangler
23-02-2012, 23:26
I am curious to see if i can hear a difference between Flac files and the 320 wav on ps3. I dont expect to but i will give it a go.

What's a 320 wav? :scratch:

colinB
23-02-2012, 23:41
Oh shit. Have i just made a tit of myself. I bought Hi fi + tonight for the first time because it had an article on computer audio for phillastiens like myself.
Reading it i realize i know bugger all about it. But like any new obsession i will want to know everything about it .

Stratmangler
23-02-2012, 23:48
I take it that you were referring possibly to a CD Flac rip and the same album on Spotify playing OGG files @320kbps?
The FLAC rip is readily identifiable and superior in sound quality compared to the OGG stuff @ 320kbps from Spotify.

colinB
24-02-2012, 00:04
Thanks. Ive been reading about WAV and my head is spinning.

kininigin
24-02-2012, 21:58
I find cd play back on playstation to be very good Darren, i just found the x-bar system a bit dissatisfying for tagging stuff. Streaming was a pain to. Jamast app for spotify doesnt work for some reason and ps3 media center wasnt right either. The SBtouch seems easy and the interface is great. Plus spotify is great, no drop outs.
I will use playstation for cd duties until i decide on a media storage solution.

If i went with the sbt,i'd be hardwiring it and using an external hdd.What i've noticed so far with different bitrates,is that sometimes you can easily tell the difference and sometimes not.I think if it has been well recorded in the first place then 320 can be fine.Below 320,it starts to get more obvious imo.

colinB
24-02-2012, 22:14
To be honest it was the spotify app that got me. If spotify had sounded rubbish i would sell it. Its also very easy to operate. I like the sound of those vortex boxes for storage too.

Fi-Wi
03-03-2012, 07:25
Another fresh SBT owner here. Easy setup and I finally have a device that plays Spotify but I must say that the display of the SB3 is FAR more superior as far as it
concerns smooth scrolling. I guess that is why they stopped producing these with costly screens.

Because the tip of my linear psu that I used with my SB3 doesnt fit the SBT, I still use the standard psu that came with it, but my first listenings sound promissing.

The fact that the SBT is more tilted than the SB3 is not one of the benefits of this device, especially when the display is viewed from farther distance.

I still have to find the setting that gets rid of the timer (total time played) in the center of the bottom of the display when playing music though.

Overall I am a happy camper.

Covenant
03-03-2012, 08:43
I cut a plastic spine binder to fit the support bar. This tilts it a bit, enough for me. Scrolling seems fine to me, I used to have an SB3 and don't remember it being better.

Fi-Wi
04-03-2012, 09:19
I'll give it a try! The Classic scrolls smoothly where as the text kind of flickers when scrolling on the display of the Touch. It's not the end of the world but it surprises me.

morris_minor
16-03-2012, 10:17
For those that are interested, here is a screenshot of iPeng running on an iPad.

This is one album view - the other is a list with much smaller covers, but which includes the full titles etc. The number of covers showing in this album view can be changed by "pinching" and whatever the reverse action's called :rolleyes:.

If anyone wants further views I'd be happy to oblige. :)

http://www.revalia.co.uk/ipeng/album1.png

MartinT
16-03-2012, 12:43
Hi guys, another new and impressed owner of an SB Touch here. I quickly got it up and running on wireless last night, feeding digital co-ax to my Caiman DAC. I must say the build quality and finish of the device is excellent.

My music file collection has only been created for the car and is all 320kbps mp3. Despite that, some of the albums sounded pretty good. Dynamically flattened compared with playing the CD, but still very acceptable. I have not tried any FLAC or hi-res files yet. I'd like to try a couple of high bitstream rate radio stations, too.

Using the Logitech app on the iPad is very rewarding, all the album art showing as on the Touch's display and everything working smoothly. I have also downloaded SqueezeRemote for my Windows Phone and will try that, too. Screenshots to come.

Can someone point me to where to disable the volume control in the settings?

Future upgrades: a linear PSU of some description; connecting it via ethernet cable rather than wireless once I've installed a 5-way network switch near my system.

morris_minor
16-03-2012, 13:22
Can someone point me to where to disable the volume control in the settings?

I've looked at both the Logitech app and iPeng, Martin, and neither have a control to fix the output at 100%.

I normally set my players up with the web GUI, and there it's easy to find under Settings > Player > Audio

The only volume adjustment the apps give you is over track gain etc.

MartinT
16-03-2012, 13:34
Thanks, Bob. I'll get the web GUI running tonight.

chrism
16-03-2012, 15:07
Hi Martin,

I suspect that Wireless and ethernet will sound exactly the same unless you suffer from drop out (sounds painful).

I have done A/B many times and found zero difference.

Regards

morris_minor
16-03-2012, 15:31
I suspect that Wireless and ethernet will sound exactly the same unless you suffer from drop out (sounds painful).

<Waits for purveyors of audiophile CAT5 to pounce>:sofa:</>

chrism
16-03-2012, 15:42
<Waits for purveyors of audiophile CAT5 to pounce>:sofa:</>

And your finding are ........ ?

Audioman
16-03-2012, 15:45
Hi Martin,

Regards

Check the specs. Cat 5 ethernet is faster. Also less security issues. Wireless is a fine solution for portability not a valid replacement for wired networks.

I was quite impressed by SB fronted systems at the Wig Wam show though I was told the SQ largely depends on addition of good linear power supply.

chrism
16-03-2012, 15:53
Check the specs. Cat 5 ethernet is faster. Also less security issues. Wireless is a fine solution for portability not a valid replacement for wired networks.

So how does this affect sound quality? I say it does not!

Regards

MartinT
16-03-2012, 16:15
I'm taking home a 5-port switch this evening so I'll do some A/B testing and let you know if I hear a difference.

Alex_UK
16-03-2012, 20:16
Wowzers - Martin is now getting into File Based Audio! :eek: ;)

Have you tried Spotify yet? Will definitely help Album Club having it on your main rig. :)

MartinT
16-03-2012, 20:19
I've just made the comparison using a WAV file of music that I know well to stress the system in a realistic way. Wireless signal strength is about 75%.

There is no doubt that the Cat5 connection has greater depth and space to the presentation and sounds closer to CD replay. It isn't "night and day" but it's a worthwhile improvement so I'm keeping it this way.

MartinT
16-03-2012, 21:11
Wowzers - Martin is now getting into File Based Audio! :eek: ;)

Have you tried Spotify yet? Will definitely help Album Club having it on your main rig. :)

First Marco, and now me. What's the world coming to? Must admit, I've enjoyed playing with the Touch and find it very good even before upgrading the PSU.

My Spotify account is still the free one but I'm about to change that. How do you find the higher bitstream sound quality through the Touch?

DaveK
16-03-2012, 21:42
All those members half thinking about following Marco and Martin T into the Logitech Touch digital age may be interested in looking at this: -

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/promotional-items/devices/7348?affid=1546795

Get the cards out lads :lol:
Dave.

Welder
16-03-2012, 22:53
Aff, you been Linux’d. :D

Well, I spose the Touch is a start. It’s a bit like watching vinyl novices setting up their first turntables. :D

dave2010
16-03-2012, 23:09
All those members half thinking about following Marco and Martin T into the Logitech Touch digital age may be interested in looking at this: -

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/promotional-items/devices/7348?affid=1546795

Get the cards out lads :lol:
Dave.What exactly is a "blemished box"? Could be a good buy - or maybe not!

MartinT
16-03-2012, 23:15
Some screenshots of it all working:

Squeezebox App on the iPad

http://www.mtc.me.uk/images/SBT_iPad.jpg

SqueezeRemote App on Windows Phone 7

http://www.mtc.me.uk/images/SBT_WP71.jpg http://www.mtc.me.uk/images/SBT_WP72.jpg

MartinT
16-03-2012, 23:16
Well, I spose the Touch is a start. It’s a bit like watching vinyl novices setting up their first turntables. :D

LOL - it's nice being a noob because you see the other side :)

Waiting for you to buy a turntable then, John ;)

DaveK
16-03-2012, 23:26
What exactly is a "blemished box"? Could be a good buy - or maybe not!

See here: -

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=307932#post307932

It might reassure you :) .

Welder
16-03-2012, 23:56
LOL - it's nice being a noob because you see the other side :)

Waiting for you to buy a turntable then, John ;)

I had rather a nice vinyl setup once Martin. I can't say I miss it.
I reckon you should get sorted pretty quick. ;)
The touch is a great bit of kit but if you find you like file based audio, I dare say it wont be long before you've built a really good quality server. You should have the building skills and I really can't see a bit of scripting and a few code changes being beyond your knowledge.
Like all this stuff,it depends on how much effort one is prepared to put into it. :)

morris_minor
17-03-2012, 10:03
Some screenshots of it all working:

Squeezebox App on the iPad

http://www.mtc.me.uk/images/SBT_iPad.jpg

I see your numbered naming convention for players allows for more devices, Martin :eyebrows:. One Squeezebox is never enough . . . :D

slate
17-03-2012, 11:42
I see your numbered naming convention for players allows for more devices, Martin :eyebrows:. One Squeezebox is never enough . . . :D

Watch them like a hawk or they will multiply like rabbits

Proud owner of
1 * Touch
2 * Receivers
1 * Controller

MartinT
17-03-2012, 12:56

LOL - you noticed that? I may fancy another one in the bedroom at some point.

MartinT
17-03-2012, 13:35

I now have a Spotify Premium account and am streaming hi-bitrate to the Touch (it did crash and reboot after I upgraded to Premium and changed the settings, but has now settled down).

It's amazing sitting down in front of the 'big rig' with the iPad on my lap and being able to call up almost anything on Spotify, like having John Peel's library in my hands. This will help me target my buying even more accurately and only order CDs I know I like.

Tim
17-03-2012, 13:42
It's amazing sitting down in front of the 'big rig' with the iPad on my lap and being able to call up almost anything on Spotify, like having John Peel's library in my hands. This will help me target my buying even more accurately and only order CDs I know I like.
:)

colinB
18-03-2012, 17:49
I now have a Spotify Premium account and am streaming hi-bitrate to the Touch (it did crash and reboot after I upgraded to Premium and changed the settings, but has now settled down).

Doing that right now using ipod touch. Listening to Neil Young Harvest remaster and it sounds very good.