PDA

View Full Version : Awkward side breaks on classical LPs - and surface noise

morris_minor
21-02-2012, 17:38
No doubt we all have examples of side breaks on LPs that come in the middle of movements, at places we'd rather they didn't. Mostly these arise from inconsiderate composers making their movements just too long to play nicely within the limitation of LP playback. But not always.

A recent acquisition of mine was a Supraphon disc of Shostakovich's 15th symphony, where the second movement runs into the third without a break. The obvious choice, to my mind, for the side break was during the pianissimo tympany roll before the bassons start up for the Allegretto. But this Supraphon disc has the break 30 seconds previous to this, putting the very end of the 2nd movement onto side 2. :mental:

I was doing a rip of this for my Squeezeboxes, and so had to join the two bits up - as can be seen from just to the right of the yellow line in the wave editor below. The red marker is the start of the 3rd movement. It now plays as it should, but with a bit of my "interpretation" of how the join should go.

Also - a totally unrelated issue that can be seen from this image is the big difference of surface noise at the join. The music programme on both sides of the join is at the same level. It looks horrendous, but is only really noticeable on headphones. Within a few minutes the surface noise of side 2 is back down the very low level on most of side 1. What I've noticed - especially doing rips and monitoring with headphones - is that this is a frequent occurrence - surface noise is often worse at the start of a side. Why should this be?? (Giving records a wet clean and vacuum makes no difference to this kind of noise).

Has anyone else noticed this, and do you have any LPs with nonsensical side breaks.

http://www.revalia.co.uk/waveform.jpg

jandl100
21-02-2012, 18:09
I must confess that if a side-break comes at an unfortunate point it spoils the whole LP for me, and I play the music on CD!

DSJR
21-02-2012, 19:05
And, if the CD mastering was done right, any noise from the venue/studio/master tape, should be artfully blended so it isn't noticable ;)