PDA

View Full Version : Audio Gold.

southall-1998
19-02-2012, 18:36
Went there last year before Christmas. This shop is in North London, so not too far going there from Southall by train/Taxi.

Nice shop, they sell all sorts of nice amps, speakers, turntables and many more. But the prices can make your mouth go dry:lol:

Plus, I saw Sterling Roswell there. He was in a band back in the late 80s (Spaceman 3) Never listened to his stuff, must be good though.

Any other AOS members been to Audio Gold?

AAshton
19-02-2012, 18:52
I shall have to get in a taxi and pop down there one day - my favourite shop in London was always Walrus but I haven't been there for a few years since I retired.

Andrew

southall-1998
19-02-2012, 18:55
It is a nice shop, will go there again soon. But don't expect any bargains there though:)

flapland
19-02-2012, 18:59
Its OK, the vinyl is more interesting although a trip over to Dalston can be more productive as there two record stores their.

Agree the prices are too high.

John
19-02-2012, 19:45
Yes tend to agree prices are quite high but nice srore to look in

Pete The Cat
19-02-2012, 21:06
Spacemen 3 had their moments. Probably their best known member was Jason Pierce who went on to form Spiritualised with some considerable success.

Pete

southall-1998
23-02-2012, 13:38
Went to to Audio Gold Yesterday. And for some fun I heard some Royd Minstrel Speakers.

Very good sounding speakers. They are not accurate, neutral etc, but very musical and dynamic.

I only spent 2 hours with the Royds yesterday. I know nothing about these speakers. Guys, please don't get pissed off, but their build quality wasn't that great. And they are very light, I can pick them up with one hand and throw them high in the air. Anyway, I'll never attempt to do that. But they did sound good!

Can the Royd Minstrel be reveling with what equipment they are used with?. Or are they just friendly speakers that work well with anything?

When I heard them they sounded good. They are a little bright, but not too much. Most likely the system that was used with the Royds tamed the brightness.

They were used with an Icon Audio Stereo 25 MKII int amp (Valve)

CD Player was an old Arcam from the early 90s. Can't remember the model.

Speaker Cables- Van Den Hul CS122.

DSJR
23-02-2012, 14:55
Actually Shane, the Minstrels were some of the most accurate speakers Royd ever made, the tonal balance being very even and with a very pleasant and not at all spiteful treble sparkle. Only limitation being max input levels and potential driver damage I remember :)

sq225917
23-02-2012, 18:50
They have a pair of http://audiogold.co.uk/products-page/hi-fi-amplifiers/ecs-ea-1-monoblocks-pair/ which are pretty much my 'unicorn' solid state amps. I'll be buggered if I'm paying that much for them though. Doubt they'd fetch £1500 on the open market.

Ali Tait
23-02-2012, 19:02
I think Marco has a pair of those.

julesd68
23-02-2012, 19:15
Audio Gold are about 5 mins drive away from me. I have used them for servicing gear in the past, with no problems at all. But I am amazed they manage to keep going given their stratospheric prices for kit ... £395 for an Audiolab 8000A! You would expect their prices to be higher than ebay but not that much higher ...

southall-1998
23-02-2012, 19:26
Guys, you don't even want to know how much they are asking for their Royds. And those Royds were a bit scruffy.

jaym481
23-02-2012, 22:08
I just moved to London, and have been meaning to go and have a look. I wonder how much negotiation is built into those prices?

sq225917
24-02-2012, 00:52
Let's hope it's 40%

nat8808
24-02-2012, 02:38
I know audio gold of old - went to school with the owners son.. so I'll have to not big them up too much.

I agree their web prices are a little over the top.. not been in there for a good long while though to judge in-shop prices.

Still, the owners are very very much into their music and non-BS hifi. They're nicely connected to the local community so have relatively regular music events in the store supporting local artists.

Oddly I've seen some bits and pieces of theirs on ebay and actually for some things they've under-priced a little like a Luxman PD300 with SME 111 for £400 or so (could get more than that for the deck alone).. so hard to tell whether prices are for the 'international collectors market' on the website and how much you can haggle down in shop too.

Certainly worth checking out for a trip down memory lane and browsing records, getting styli, etc. Knowing Crouch End though, I bet a lot of their sales will be new DAB radios and vintage style Roberts' for catching more Radio 4 and 6 Music while the toddlers sleep.

Macca
24-02-2012, 22:18
Actually Shane, the Minstrels were some of the most accurate speakers Royd ever made, the tonal balance being very even and with a very pleasant and not at all spiteful treble sparkle. Only limitation being max input levels and potential driver damage I remember :)

They had a great review in Audiophile which pretty much said the same - fast, open, musical but no deep bass and limited power handling.

Audioman
25-02-2012, 11:36
Judging by their website they are clueless on pricing. Garrard 401 at reasonable price depending on condition and crazy prices for Thorens decks.

nat8808
25-02-2012, 18:16
Have to laugh at some of the prices..