PDA

View Full Version : So am using my Squeezebox as the Naim CDI died :(

pjdowns
21-12-2008, 18:12
So I am currently using the standard Squeezebox Classic (III) as a digital source as my CDI died a horrible death.

I record everything in Apple Lossless in Auto mode within iTunes.

First impressions are that the CDI was miles and miles ahead but the Squeezebox isn't as bad as I had expected .... clearly starting to use Apple Lossless has made a huge difference but overall, not too bad !

Thought I'd share this with you all.

P.

P.S. I will probably get the CDI repaired in the new year !!!!

Audiocom AV
21-12-2008, 18:45
Hello

What happened to your Naim CDi?

Ditch the wall-wart supply and add a linear supply to the Squeezebox and the sound is much better. Add a high performance DAC and you might not return to your CDi :)

Best Wishes
Mark Bartlett

NRG
21-12-2008, 20:17
Agreed. Good linear supply for the SBIII and add on one of Stan's DAC's and you'll have a very very good sound.

pjdowns
21-12-2008, 21:54
What happened to your Naim CDi?

Not sure ... it started making a sound like someone was driving over cats eyes in the background. I have been told it could have something to do with the DAC as the Mechanism in my one was new not so long ago, so it shouldn't be that...

Ditch the wall-wart supply and add a linear supply to the Squeezebox and the sound is much better. Add a high performance DAC and you might not return to your CDi :)

Where would I get a better supply from... A number of people have suggested this and I never really knew how to go about that ?????

I have thought about a Cambridge Audio DAC as funds are a little sparse at the moment .... would this be worth it ?... Although it would have a lot to live up to the CDI..

Paul.

Audiocom AV
22-12-2008, 11:08
Where would I get a better supply from... A number of people have suggested this and I never really knew how to go about that ?????

I have thought about a Cambridge Audio DAC as funds are a little sparse at the moment .... would this be worth it ?... Although it would have a lot to live up to the CDI..

Paul.

Hello Paul

The Paul Hynes SR1 supply is an excellent upgrade for the Squeezebox.

The Cambridge Audio DAC should be better than the internal analogue stage of the Squeezebox, give it a listen and decide.

Best Wishes
Mark Bartlett

John
22-12-2008, 12:13
Also try Stan's DAC the Beresford, once you hear it going through a good DAC it may change you wanting another CDP

NRG
22-12-2008, 14:00

Paul.

I ended up building my own, trying to find an off the shelf one is a little problematic although the above recommendation is a good one, I think Russ Andrews also does one....at a price! ;)

Ali Tait
22-12-2008, 20:47
Try a 13v supply from Maplins.Get one of Stan's dacs and I reckon it'll give your Naim a hell of a run for it's money.(The dac as standard in the SB is very mediocre)Also a damn sight cheaper than what it will cost to get your Naim fixed.Try it,and if you don't prefer it,sell the dac on ebay and recoup most of your costs.Simple! Very cheap option to try before committing to the expense of having the Naim fixed.Are you running lossless files like FLAC?

pjdowns
22-12-2008, 22:29
Try a 13v supply from Maplins.Get one of Stan's dacs Are you running lossless files like FLAC?

I run Apple Lossless recorded in auto mode through iTunes streaming over wireless connection to an Apple iMac.

P.

Ali Tait
22-12-2008, 23:44
Cool.With a Beresford it'll sound excellent.

fraser.
26-12-2008, 23:12
Also, if you don't like the beresford it is returnable for a full refund- makes life easy!

Spur07
27-12-2008, 10:25
definitely try stanley's dac - it's only £120, and you'll recoup almost all that on ebay if you decide to sell at a later date. The SB on its own is very poor - adding a dac of any sort is a must, it's a no brainer, imo

Tony Moore
27-12-2008, 10:52
I would agree that the SB3 and even more the SBR benefit hugely from an outboard DAC but it's a little unfair to say that they're "very poor". (IMO) I listen to my 2nd SB3 using headphones (through WAD HD83 amp) and it's sounds fine as a 2nd system. For the price of the SBR it's good value really and it's simple to add on a better DAC as required, as you say.

Cheers,
Tony

Spur07
27-12-2008, 23:39
point taken tony,

I say 'poor' in relation to how much improvement can be had by adding a £100 Dac to a SB or similar. I use a Trends USB convertor to stream my files - (supposedly superior to the SB out of the box, but lacking the excellent SB interface), and on its own it's no better than a £200 CD player, imo. By adding the beresford my system becomes more than a match for my Naim CD player. The jump is vast.

StanleyB
28-12-2008, 00:38
By adding the beresford my system becomes more than a match for my Naim CD player. The jump is vast.
I have sold more than 100 pieces to SB3 owners. They even recommend my DAC on the SB3 manufacturer forum.

Stratmangler
28-12-2008, 02:41
I have sold more than 100 pieces to SB3 owners. They even recommend my DAC on the SB3 manufacturer forum.

I bought mine to partner my SB3, and I wouldn't think of going back to them shiny beer mats !

Cheers Stan.

Chris:)

Tony Moore
28-12-2008, 09:04
Well, you're all tempting me...:smoking:

Spur07
28-12-2008, 11:55
its a win,win situation tony - as long as you drive it with a decent amp and speakers. I think that's probably why so many Naim users are beresford converts. :)

Tony Moore
28-12-2008, 11:56
OK, dunnit! :gig:

Looking forward to it, Stan!

Cheers, :cool:
Tony

alb
28-12-2008, 12:32
Oh good, another comparison session in the making. Hint hint.:)

pjdowns
29-12-2008, 23:33
All,

Thanks for the comments and feedback. One of those Beresford's sounds like it might be on my order list ;)....

Let me just check, it is one of these ????

http://whathifi.com/Review/Beresford-TC-7510/

Regards

Paul.

P.S.

I have put the below question to Gromit in the Gallary, maybe you guys would be the right person to ask...

Hey Gromit,

Hope you are well.

A quick question if I may, my Naim CDI has got a fault and therefore I am relying on the Squeezebox, which is excellent but not quite up there in comparison to the CDI.

My question is, I have been advised that to have the CDI repaired will cost a minimum of £150, I have been thinking, should I get it repaired, being that it is 16 years old or do I trump for a Beresford DAC, similar to yours to use with the Squeezebox. I import all of the music as Apple Lossless in Auto mode through iTunes.

You're input would be gladly received.

Happy New Year,

Paul.