PDA

View Full Version : Bias Adjustment

snuffbox
19-02-2012, 12:52
Could you good folk out there please explain about bias adjustment please and what would you actually hear if its wrong.
This may sound like a foolish question but if I don't ask then I remain foolish.
What do I get to hear if its too far out?

Stratmangler
19-02-2012, 13:00
http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/ttadjust.html#BIAS

Dominic Harper
19-02-2012, 13:52
Most bias arrangements are a compromise. They are not perfect.
Bias should be set lower than tracking force. Adding too much will compress the soundstage. Too little and soundstage will not be focused. Way too much will introduce distortion in the left channel and visa versa.With an Lp on the platter spinning, place the stylus on the leadout but not in the groove. The arm should want to pull in gently to the spindle and find a groove. If this happens too fast add a bit more bias. If the arm stays still, reduce the bias.
Trust your ears.

StanleyB
19-02-2012, 14:02
The Micro Seiki MA-505 MKI installation manual has an outstanding write up on how to set up the bias. Their instructions describes the setup of their own arm, but I have used that same info to set up other arms as well.
Well worth doing a search for it amongst the free downloadable instruction/service manual websites.

snuffbox
19-02-2012, 14:24
Thank for that,I must say I have over the past day or two improved my perception of the sound for the better,glad I joined this forum.

DSJR
19-02-2012, 14:27
Too little and sibilant mistracking is on the right channel. Too much and it shifts to the left channel. As said above, always a compromise and the amount per setting varies from arm to arm as well, which doesn't help one iota and this, coupled with each kind of stylus needing different amounts makes it a very approximate setting. :(

I've seen so many well loved and used cartridges coming off Ittoks for example where the diamond wear has been lop-sided and always to the inner face. The Ittok, but not I think the Ekos, offered too little bias on average per setting on the dial, whereas the Basiks and possibly the Akito, offered too much. Rega RB and thread-n-weight SME's of old offered too much as well for many cartridges, the RB series especially. using a grado with an RB arm, one barely needs to apply any bias from the minimum setting I remember.

Barry
19-02-2012, 22:30
I start with a bias that is half the equivalent playing weight and work from there.

Rega arms offer far too much bias in my experience.

DSJR
19-02-2012, 22:42
The R200 doesn't, it's a tad too low if anything (and mine still works!!!), but it's nothing like the RB's and Rega didn't make it :)

Barry
19-02-2012, 22:50
The R200 doesn't, it's a tad too low if anything (and mine still works!!!), but it's nothing like the RB's and Rega didn't make it :)

Whilst setting up a friend's RB200, I found the arm would swing out even though the bias was set to zero!

DSJR
20-02-2012, 15:32
It's magnetic and can never be fully nullified..

hifi_dave
20-02-2012, 18:06

Exactly and demonstrates just how good the bearings are.

Barry
20-02-2012, 18:08

So how can you say the bias offered is "a tad too low"? Give me the 'falling weight' system every day.

DSJR
20-02-2012, 18:16
The R200 magnets weren't set to oppose as powerfully as the RB ones, which themselves were reduced slightly in strength as time went on. Rega admitted to me the RB bias being too strong on a dealer-visit some years ago, but they had to work with what they were sent by the suppliers, as is typical of many UK companies using suppliers for certain parts...