PDA

View Full Version : Catalogue my music

northwest
15-02-2012, 23:58
Okay, another can of worms. Anyone tried this: http://connect.collectorz.com/music/

I really must do something as I am amassing Duplicates, not the cheap albums either!

Dominic Harper
16-02-2012, 00:03
I can offer a free duplicate removal service ;)

northwest
16-02-2012, 00:11
I can offer a free duplicate removal service ;)

I'll send you some duplicates Dom, PM me your addrss.

alfie2902
16-02-2012, 01:06
Hi Graham,

If you are good with spreadsheets you can catalogue your collection in Excel, it will be pretty basic & have no pics, but will be free.

I've been using Music Collector from collectorz.com for a few months now & think it's pretty good. TBH I've only done part of my collection so far, as it's time consuming, but when the database is complete it will be great. Any new/2nd hand records get cleaned, new inner, then added to the MC database.

I had the free trial version first, limited to 100 albums, & liked it, so had a punt. I also had the trial version of http://kixsoftware.com/index.html which is also good but I prefered MC. Perhaps try them both. MC comes in two versions standard at £18 & pro at £30. The standard version is enough for my needs. The Kix software is a little cheaper at £15.

With MC If you use a smart phone there's a couple of apps you can buy CLZ Barry which is a barcode scanner & makes adding your collection quicker & easier, but adds another £5.50 (Free Red Lazer might work but haven't tried. There's also CLZ music which again costs £7 IIRC, this allows you to send your database to your Idevice or droid phone, so you have your entire collection & wish list with you when you're buying new vinyl or CD's, ideal to stop duplicates & great if your looking for a particular pressing.

It's easyish to use once you've got used to it all & there's lots of ways of searching & checking what's in your collection. I have different folders for CD & Vinyl you can also add music files if you so wish, but I struggle to see the point of that. All in all it works very well & isn't that expensive, but neither is it free.

baron
16-02-2012, 09:02
Hi Graham,
I've been using Music Collector PRO and CueCat scanner for many years now and find it invaluable. With the pro version you can export a selected list (up to 1000 records) to ipod/iphone. I usually just export my lPs to my ipod then I have a list with me when I am out buying 2nd hand records. The scanner is very useful if you have a large amount of CD's to catalogue, my wife also uses it to catalogue her books on Book Collector. Some records scan but mos can be entered quickly using the search tool. I suggest entering one artist at a time then you only need to change the Album title.

Audioman
16-02-2012, 15:13
I have used Lotus Approach for years. Nicer and better to use than Excel or even Access. This though dated is a very good database but you need to purchase Smartsuite which is still obtainable. With a little tweaking it will work nicely with Vista and presumably Windows 7. Checking on the internet it appears that it is compatible with 64bit versions. I will have to investigate if there is a way of incorporating pictures. Since the tables are in a spreadsheet format it should be possible to import and export with Excel and Open Office data (only tried the later).

Tim
16-02-2012, 16:58
I have been cataloguing my collection in Excel for sometime now A - Z, with Artist, album, year and format with any notes of interest about the album. Takes some effort to get it going, but it's great to have it. I used to get duplicates too before doing this, not now though :)

My mate does it too (well his wife does!) and we swap spreadsheets every now and then, which can be quite interesting.

northwest
17-02-2012, 21:30
I have considered carefully all of your contributions and the real solution is for me to take my csv of my LP's and stick them into Excel.
However;
If I bought Music Collector I can then have the App - scan my collection in by barcode and have waaaay more information than I would ever need! I am going to try the Music Collector software. I love technonolgy me!:lol:

DaveK
17-02-2012, 21:47
Another vote for Music Collector here too. I've found that the cheap eBay 'Mouse' bar code scanner works with it. Another vote in favour also of the very helpful and responsive Customer Service the guys provide if you have any problems.
Dave.

northwest
17-02-2012, 22:37
Another vote for Music Collector here too. I've found that the cheap eBay 'Mouse' bar code scanner works with it. Another vote in favour also of the very helpful and responsive Customer Service the guys provide if you have any problems.
Dave.

Ohh! David, what is this Mouse of which you speak?

DaveK
17-02-2012, 23:14
Ohh! David, what is this Mouse of which you speak?

I can't see the one on eBay now that I boght but it as identical to the CueCat here, apart from the logo: -

http://www.collectorz.com/music/ <about half way don the page>

or others here: -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=barcode+scanner%2C+USB&_trkparms=65%253A1%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1&rt=nc&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=1

<but you might have to do a bit more digging to find one cheaper than the above>
but if you have an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch 4th gen or Android device there is an even cheaper app.
Hope this helps.

northwest
17-02-2012, 23:43
but if you have an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch 4th gen or Android device there is an even cheaper app.
Hope this helps.

I am in luck, I have all of the above!

northwest
18-02-2012, 21:56
Well, spent much of my day with this. First off, Music Collector does not natively do LP's. so you have to create a CD list and call it LP's - which does not give you the exact artwork. Not to worry, it is light years away from a simple .csv file which is all I had before.
It is the scanner I can't seem to get to work though, I am usiung the app on an iPhone but despite scanning correctly, the CD I scanned is not appearing in the new database I stasrted - called imaginatively CD's !
I am obviously missing the obvious and tomorrow is a new day so i'll have another go then.