PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge Alignment

snuffbox
15-02-2012, 18:59
After an interesting chat with Dom this afternoon I now know that there are two types of cartridge alignment.
Now I cant remember what they were called I could google them and look them up that way but I dont think I would learn quite so much that way so I thought I would put it up here for a bit of a conflab.
I think I'd like to get an alignment gauge ,I thought I had one but God knows where it is (and he won't tell).It would be good to check things out.
My cartridge is a Linn Troika and its sitting in a RB300 arm.
Sounds quite good but the sound does seem to get a tad sweeter 1/2 way through the side.
After my chat with Dom and having a bit of a listen this afternoon I do believe its time to move things on a bit regarding the old turntable which is in fact a Roksan Radius.
I was going to whip the cartridge out and send it to Dom for a check but after having a look it do appear that the leads on the cartridge have been soldered to the arm leads,(bugger):doh:
So there we go chaps (and chappess)

jostber
15-02-2012, 19:08
I would try one of the protractors on the Vinyl Engine site:

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/rega/rb300.shtml

After setting the right alignment with the protractor, set the tracking weight to the maximum recommended. Then check that your cartridge is clean, brush it lightly if it is dirty, and then keep your vinyls clean and everything will sound just fine.

keiths
15-02-2012, 19:16
Hmm. Baerwald, Stevenson and Loefgren are the three main alignment solutions. The general idea is that because the record cutter is parallel tracking and most tonearms aren't, distortion is introduced. The alignment of the cartridge can minimise this distortion.

Stevenson's method is to align the cartridge so that the distortion at the end of the side (where it's effect is worse) is minimised. I can't remember which way round the other two are, but one aims for the lowest average distortion across the whole side whilst the other aims for equal distortion at the beginning, middle and end of the side.

Individual manufacturers' protractors are usually either one of these three or close to. Rega's is more-or-less Stevenson for example. Also the arm length and cartridge body size can have an effect - it might not be possible to get some cartridges far enough forward in some arms (eg. the Technics arm for example) to get Baerwald alignment.

Always worth playing with this kind of thing to see what works best for you. There are lots of free protractors available to print off at Vinyl Engine.

snuffbox
15-02-2012, 20:58
Thanks for that,the cartridge has been set as far forward as it is possible to go so I suspect theat they might have been aiming for Baerwald.
I'll have a look for those guages later thanks.
Looking at the turntable now and I really like the look of the Michell Gyro .ho hum more money but if your going to use it you may as well enjoy how it looks.

Dominic Harper
15-02-2012, 21:06
Hi Paul. Glad I got you thinking about your turntable setup.
There are better and cheaper alternatives to the Gyro, unless your buying on looks!

Darren
15-02-2012, 21:16
Hi Paul. Glad I got you thinking about your turntable setup.
There are better and cheaper alternatives to the Gyro, unless your buying on looks!

I'm looking for a new TT in that price range so do please tell Dom. Better and cheaper than the Gyro.... I'm listening with both ears!

snuffbox
15-02-2012, 21:19
I am open to suggestions but as a 17 year old a (couple of years ago)I saw a Michell Hydraulic and it was the most beautiful turntable I'd ever seen and I've always wanted one ever since.
Bit like a Harley Davidson,there are better but nowt comes close for looks.

Dominic Harper
15-02-2012, 21:57
Garrard 401? Waiting for the backlash lol

snuffbox
15-02-2012, 22:01
I'm sorry mate but that does as much for me as a promise of a bj off Susan Boyle.:eek:

chelsea
15-02-2012, 22:09
After an interesting chat with Dom this afternoon I now know that there are two types of cartridge alignment.
Now I cant remember what they were called I could google them and look them up that way but I dont think I would learn quite so much that way so I thought I would put it up here for a bit of a conflab.
I think I'd like to get an alignment gauge ,I thought I had one but God knows where it is (and he won't tell).It would be good to check things out.
My cartridge is a Linn Troika and its sitting in a RB300 arm.
Sounds quite good but the sound does seem to get a tad sweeter 1/2 way through the side.
After my chat with Dom and having a bit of a listen this afternoon I do believe its time to move things on a bit regarding the old turntable which is in fact a Roksan Radius.
I was going to whip the cartridge out and send it to Dom for a check but after having a look it do appear that the leads on the cartridge have been soldered to the arm leads,(bugger):doh:

I thought they were a quite well rated deck?

Wakefield Turntables
15-02-2012, 22:14
some tonearms have a specfic alignment built into the head shell. I think SME has baerwald for example, this is certainly the one which I use on my 1210. This might be a variable that you might want to remember when your buying your tonearm.

snuffbox
15-02-2012, 22:26
I thought they were a quite well rated deck?

Which means I've got to be prepared to lay out about £500 for a deck to make an upgrade worthwhile.

hifi_dave
16-02-2012, 10:10

Don't lose any sleep about alignment - your RB300 should have come with the Rega alignment gauge but if it didn't, phone Rega and get another. If you're desperate, I probably have a couple somewhere.

The Troika has flying leads out the back, so they might well have been soldered to the RB300's wiring. Not so easy if you can't solder.

DSJR
16-02-2012, 10:12
I asked Alex if he could submit this to the library, but don't know if he has or even can...

I found this - the SL1200 tracing error chart for different inner null points. I believe Rega still use 60mm, where SME and Linn use 65mm. I personally feel the inner one is the most important, and the others sort of fall into place after...

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/06de1123.gif

Obviously, the Rega arm will give slightly different results to this above, but the differences should be very small I think.

jn229
16-02-2012, 15:55
Thanks for that,the cartridge has been set as far forward as it is possible to go so I suspect theat they might have been aiming for Baerwald.
I'll have a look for those guages later thanks.
Looking at the turntable now and I really like the look of the Michell Gyro .ho hum more money but if your going to use it you may as well enjoy how it looks.

IMHO: You should take your time, follow the advice you are receiving here and properly set up the alignment of your cartridge (Make sure the styli trace the arc all the way across the protractor!). Forget about the pretty Gyro till your table is singing at its full potential.

snuffbox
16-02-2012, 16:59
Forgotten about the Gyro,they're not as good as they look so there would no sonic value in getting one.
Having spoken to Dom re a change of tt I'm going to sit tight and wait for an old Thorens 125 to come my way.
In the meantime I'll be doing a check on the alignment and later on in the year I will drop the whole shebang into Doms for a bit of a fettle.
In the meantime I shall be enjoying what I have ,not yenning over what I haven't.:)

Alex_UK
16-02-2012, 23:50
I asked Alex if he could submit this to the library, but don't know if he has or even can...

Sorry Dave - still sitting in my inbox, awaiting me to send you an email asking for a bit more info about where this came from/who produced it and when, etc. - if it is going to go into the library then I think it needs a bit of validation of the source/context. :)

Dominic Harper
16-02-2012, 23:57
Paul, how very dare you lolololol. The 401 is my favourite deck and looks and sounds the dogs. BTW when you bring your deck over for some fettling, you will see that we have a garrard 401 and I don't think you will be referring to it as a bj from susan boyle, more like kylie :lol::lol::lol:.

Natalie;)

Dingdong
17-02-2012, 00:11
Forgotten about the Gyro,they're not as good as they look so there would no sonic value in getting one.
Having spoken to Dom re a change of tt I'm going to sit tight and wait for an old Thorens 125 to come my way.
In the meantime I'll be doing a check on the alignment and later on in the year I will drop the whole shebang into Doms for a bit of a fettle.
In the meantime I shall be enjoying what I have ,not yenning over what I haven't.:)

The Audio Wharehouse have just advertised a 125 for £225. Seems quite a decent price for one at the mo'.

Marco
17-02-2012, 00:15
and I don't think you will be referring to it as a bj from susan boyle...

Oh I don't know, the sensation from Susan's moustache on yer Jap's eye could make the occasion a bit more special! :lol:

Marco.

Darren
17-02-2012, 00:21
FFS! I'll be dreaming about that now..... ' woke in a cold sweat'

bogle111
17-02-2012, 00:32
The Audio Wharehouse have just advertised a 125 for £225. Seems quite a decent price for one at the mo'.

Good 125's can be had for less than that. Beware you don't get one that has electronic issues. They can also be a bit of a sod to setup.

snuffbox
17-02-2012, 00:37
Paul, how very dare you lolololol. The 401 is my favourite deck and looks and sounds the dogs. BTW when you bring your deck over for some fettling, you will see that we have a garrard 401 and I don't think you will be referring to it as a bj from susan boyle, more like kylie :lol::lol::lol:.

Natalie;)

This is where a paper bag would be good ,for me not her that is.

Marco ,Your bloody disgusting,go and grab yourself a granny and I mean a proper granny.
One that has the teeth that come out.:eek:

Being sensible I've spotted a couple of 125's one for £400 with an sme and the other for £250 with a thorens arm.
Think it would be worthwhile waiting for a MkII though what do you reckon Dom?

Just noticed that post wasn't from Dom,
Natalie ,your a naughty lady.

Dingdong
17-02-2012, 00:39
Good 125's can be had for less than that. Beware you don't get one that has electronic issues. They can also be a bit of a sod to setup.

If you find a good one for less than that let me know. I'd part with some of my hard earned. I quite fancy giving one a go.

Dominic Harper
17-02-2012, 09:38
Either a MK1 or MK2 would be good, just try not to get one with the 3rd switch for the tonearm lift, looks so out of place if not a thorens arm fitted!

Dom

snuffbox
18-02-2012, 12:00
Just checked the alignment with a Rega alignment gauge and all is as it should be so no probs there.
My mind is at rest so I will now spend time listening to some new vinyl I've got coming and then in October when I go to the lakes for a week I shall be popping in to chez DomandNats for tea cakes and a fettle.
In the mean time I shall be having a careful think about which way to go re tt upgrade.
I would like to do something retro but putting something of myself into it.
Still,plenty of time to think about that.:)