PDA

View Full Version : DNM Power Supply for Naim

Ariaudo
15-02-2012, 16:29
When I purchased my old Naim gear a few years ago the bundle of boxes came with 2 power supplies - a Naim SNAPS and a DNM. I'm currently using both, the SNAPS for my NAC72/NAP250/LP12/B&W CDM 7NTs in the living room and the DNM for the NAC 12S/NAP250/Linn Isobariks connected to the PC.

There are a few comments out there on DNM pre/power amps and cables but I can't find any information on the DNM power supply. Guess that it came and went well before the web and obviously hardly anyone has one now.

I wondered if anyone here could provide any details or has actual experience of this box?

Philippe

hifi_dave
15-02-2012, 16:37
Have you tried DNM for info ?

www.dnm.co.uk I believe.

Ariaudo
15-02-2012, 16:43
I'll give them a go. I must admit that I had assumed they no longer existed aszx they didn't come up on my searches that included power supply. I guess that's because they don't make dedicated PSUs anymore.

I'd still be interested in any views on the relative merits of the power supply, particulary in comparison to Naim's own units.

DSJR
15-02-2012, 17:39
Back in the very late 70's or very early 80's, this tall gent with grey hair came onto the shop with some "RS" case boxes and inside, alternative circuits for supplying Naim preamps. They certainly offered an improvement over the standard NAPS, which was extremely basic. Trouble is, and this was an issue for me with all Denis's early DNM amps, they were changed with each batch he made... Didn't stop us selling one or three I recall. Six months later, Naim did the "S" upgrade (SNAPS) with the little filter incorporated and later introduced the Hicap. By this time or very shortly after, Denis had introduced the DNM amps,the concept of "solid core" cables and later, Slit-Foil caps to an unsuspecting audio world, which were very good, if expensive and prone to much tweaking (the amps I mean), in the early to mid 80's at any rate...

Not being an engineer, and being an almost total subjectivist at the time, I never got the chance to peer inside one of these supplies and attempt to analyse what was going on inside..

hifi_dave
15-02-2012, 20:00
Dennis still manufactures very different and very good amplifies but prefers to keep a very low profile.