PDA

View Full Version : Densen DP drive MC - worth repairing ?

Audioman
15-02-2012, 15:29
I have a Densen DP drive out of use due to board failure. This is the one with the MC board that uses light bulbs for mains isolation. Trouble is on the original design they fail every couple years which means a complete board change. The new boards use light cells in place of the bulbs. The unit would probably need the latest power supply as well which involves several hundred pounds expenditure. The unit is about 13 years old.

Options are sell as spares and repair or fix and update. Does anyone know if the SQ of the upgraded unit is still competitive in the current market for phono stages or is it better to invest in something else (more expensive).

The Grand Wazoo
15-02-2012, 15:37
I always thought this was a very clever idea, but I did wonder about reliability.

griffo104
15-02-2012, 15:40
Same thing happened to my Densen DP Drive and I decided to go for another phono stage - a Trichord Dino at the time. I thought that was much better as well but the DP drive ended up in the bin.

It was a clever idea but it was a total pain as well especially when you knew you were only going to get about 2 years from the bulbs.

If I remember correctly, mine never had adjustments which meant it also lacked the flexibility of the Dino which opened up a whole world of different carts to me.

Beobloke
15-02-2012, 15:46
This is the one with the MC board that uses light bulbs for mains isolation. Trouble is on the original design they fail every couple years which means a complete board change.

Can you not simply change the bulbs without replacing the whole PCB? That's a shockingly bad design if not.... :scratch:

Audioman
15-02-2012, 15:48
This was the 3rd set of bulbs to go. I replaced it with an as new Rega Fono MC off ebay at £110. This actualy sounds better in many respects and is adjustable for load. The DP drive is supposed to be self adjusting but too much gain for many cartridges. The new boards have apparantly solved the failure problem but have no info were the current spec is sound wise. Also Densen have become very pricey.

Audioman
15-02-2012, 15:50
Can you not simply change the bulbs without replacing the whole PCB? That's a shockingly bad design if not.... :scratch:

The bulbs are part of the board. It's send back to factory or dealer exchange. Got a glowing review from one of your predecessors on World. £100 + a time. Also Densen welched on their lifetime guarantee when they found so many coming back for repair.

Beobloke
15-02-2012, 19:49
The bulbs are part of the board. It's send back to factory or dealer exchange.

Meh, that may be the 'official' line but I bet they're replaceable with a bit of cunning, a soldering iron and an RS catalogue!

Do you have any internal pictures?

Dingdong
15-02-2012, 20:04
Got a glowing review from one of your predecessors on World. £100 + a time.

Groan.

Ali Tait
15-02-2012, 20:10
Surely can't be difficult to change if you can use a soldering iron?

Audioman
15-02-2012, 23:11
Surely can't be difficult to change if you can use a soldering iron?

I imagine they are. Surface mount components and the bulbs are not a standard of the shelf item. Since they have changed the design it is likely this part is difficult to source. They are tiny not regular light bulbs. Anyway why bother fixing something that regularly fails.

My question was has anyone had experience of the latest spec models ? Any dealers here who may have sold the brand or still do? Densen changed the design of the board several times which improved the sound and increased headroom before replacing the board with the new LED driven version that caters for both MM and MC.

sq225917
16-02-2012, 08:53
The bulbs provide the energy to provide the power, just plug regulators in where the power comes from after the light/voltage stage. I imagine it's only two rails and a few hundred mA.

HoraceW
16-02-2012, 15:42
Worth having repaired. I had mine fixed about 4 years ago and still going strong although I sold it to a friend not long back. The repair was done to the original board so no need to go down the road of changing boards. PM me if you want details for the repair outfit.

Audioman
16-02-2012, 18:02
Hugh.

PM sent.

Audioman
17-02-2012, 15:14
I have been quoted £225 for a new DP04 board which has MM/MC and variable gain. Repair which involves replacing the bulbs with LED's quoted is £90 plus postage to repairer (so about half). Altering standard gain (which is I think too high with current equipment) is going to be more. So it's marginal. Approx £100 for more flexibility and the claimed improved SQ with a new board. Since a new model is now £650 don't think I can lose out either way if I sell it on later.