PDA

View Full Version : Townshend Rock Set up.

southall-1998
12-02-2012, 21:29
Soon, I need to get my Townshend Elite Rock II Turntable put togeather.

Tonearm- Rega R200 (S Shaped) I know, not the best tonearm. But I like it!

I have 2 headshells, the standard Rega headshell & Fedelity Research S/4.

Cartridge-Shure M3D (MM) with orignal stylus.

I have the new Townshend Audio Double Outrigger and Paddle.

I'm waiting for the Rega armboard to arrive direct from Max Townshend.

I might possibly have to get a spacer from Audio Origami.

Now, I'm no good with setting up turntables, because of health issues. I don't want to go into any detail about it, as it's personal.

Are there any members on here (In the UK) that has good experiance setting up Townshend Rock Turntables? If so, is it possiable if that person can come over and set my Rock up for me. I have no problem paying a Rock Turntable user setting up my Rock.

I'm in Southall, West London. Mobile contact: 07757832266. Or just PM me if you don't like making phone calls:)

Thanks.

DSJR
12-02-2012, 21:46
Good luck Shane. I think it may be difficult to use the FR headshell with the outrigger assembly, but the R200 shell will be ok.

I'd also counsel against the M3D in this arm, as the arm isn't massy enough and high frequency tracing may be severely compromised if you're unlucky, despite the damping. Sadly, I don't think anyone makes a "gentle" elliptical stylus for this cartridge, as this, with the slightly higher compliance of the N21 stylus version, would lift this pickup's performance right up to date in my view...

YNWaN
12-02-2012, 21:52
I don't honestly think you need a 'rock expert' as such, just someone who is experienced in setting up arms and cartridges.

hifi_dave
12-02-2012, 22:27
I can do it for you if you can get it here.

southall-1998
12-02-2012, 23:06
Forgot to say, I don't drive.

S.

Marco
12-02-2012, 23:23
Hi Dave,

I'd also counsel against the M3D in this arm, as the arm isn't massy enough and high frequency tracing may be severely compromised if you're unlucky, despite the damping.

The R200, I believe, is similar in mass to the Jelco SA-750, which worked a treat with the M3D (and FR headshell) I used to use on it, which Shane has now bought.

Therefore, I don't foresee a problem, unless there is some evidence which suggests that the R200 is significantly lighter than the Jelco? And in any case, the FR headshell Shane is using is of a much higher mass than the stock R200 shell, so that should compensate :)

Sadly, I don't think anyone makes a "gentle" elliptical stylus for this cartridge, as this, with the slightly higher compliance of the N21 stylus version, would lift this pickup's performance right up to date in my view...

Not sure exactly what you're trying to say with the bit in bold? I think you've got a bit confused :scratch:

Shane has both an original stylus for the M3D, and an N21. The N21 is the more refined of the two Shure styli, and should thus give the best results.

Marco.

southall-1998
13-02-2012, 01:25
Sorted.

S.