PDA

View Full Version : Attenuators

matt2007
08-02-2012, 20:41
Some background - my Theta Progeny DAC output is rated at 4 Volts and my amp input sensitivity at just 260 mV. Upto now I've been controlling the output via the iTunes volume slider in order to use the amps' volume control beyond the 2nd notch, but had a nagging feeling this wasn't the best method. So just bought a pair of -14 dB Goldenjacks.

This is the best value tweak I've ever made. The improvement goes far beyond what I expected. The sound is now much more supple without any loss of detail. All digital harshness has gone (not that it was bad before). Only had them in place for a day but well pleased.

prestonchipfryer
09-02-2012, 14:37
Hi Matt. I use/have used the Rothwell attenuators, and to good effect. The use of attenuators can (imo) certainly give a big gain in sound quality, especially CD.

John :)

Haselsh1
09-02-2012, 19:35
Matt, I also use -14db Goldenjacks and can readily agree with you on the increase in sound quality when used with a high output CD player.

matt2007
09-02-2012, 20:17
Glad to know that others can hear an improvement too and its not just a case of Emperor's new clothes :thumbsup:

Martinh
03-03-2012, 11:55
Hi Matt,

I've been doing some research on this, as I have the same volume control problem as you.

As I understand it, there is some high frequency roll-off that is a by-product of having the attenuation resistors inside the Rothwells/Goldenjacks.

Apparently, the HF roll-off reduces as you increase the attenuation. See here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/73634-inline-attenuator-help.html

Perhaps this may explain the changes that you can hear?

Martin

prestonchipfryer
03-03-2012, 13:28
The use of the Rothwell attenuators in my system has opened up the sound. Definitely helps with CD and SACD. I should add that I use three sets, CD, SACD and Vinyl. To my ears it is a no brainer.

John

worrasf
26-04-2012, 12:18
The use of the Rothwell attenuators in my system has opened up the sound. Definitely helps with CD and SACD. I should add that I use three sets, CD, SACD and Vinyl. To my ears it is a no brainer.

John

+1 for the Rothwells. Obtained a set recently after reading good things and I agree with all that's been said above. I actually put them on the power amp input sockets (the Rothwell blurb suggests they are fine either between source/preamp or between pre and power amp) rather than in between source and preamp as one of the reviews I read suggested that this gave all of the desired improvements with less of the tendency to loose a bit of bite and attack.
I have to say I have not noticed any loss of PRaT but have lost the ocassional unwanted "hardness" on digital replay. Neither has it adversely affected vinyl replay - the opposite in fact. The output from the Decca is pretty high and what with the gain on the 7R I rarely had the volume controls past 3 o'clock. Now I am able to use a bit more headroom with definite SQ benefits and it has not to my ears lost anything in high end or fine detail. Wish I'd bought a set ages ago.

Steve

Macca
26-04-2012, 12:24
In my system I found the Rothwells killed dynamics, no matter where I used them. Not a universal panacea, I'm afraid.

prestonchipfryer
26-04-2012, 13:29
You really need to 'run them in' as it were. When I first starting using the Rothwells HF did seem less prominent. But after a few days the gains were evident. Not for everyone of course.

John

YNWaN
26-04-2012, 13:36
In my system I found the Rothwells killed dynamics, no matter where I used them. Not a universal panacea, I'm afraid.

That is also my experience.

pete_mac
26-04-2012, 13:58
Nice one! I use Grave Science -10dB attenuated interconnects in my main system and a pair of home-made -10dB pre-out/main-in jumpers in our bedroom system and they work an absolute treat.

Mind you, both systems feature vintage Sansui amps with an input sensitivity of 150mV so the attenuated interconnects/jumpers really help to tame the input voltage levels to something more suitable for vintage gear. Best of all, the volume dial is now usable rather than going from zero to hero in only a few clicks! :)

jaym481
27-04-2012, 22:17
One of my amps, a Leak Stereo 50, has a high input sensitivity, so I tried the Rothwell plugs between the pre and amp. They didn't provide enough attenuation to truly improve things, and they also killed the dynamics. On the other hand, using a Rothwell passive "preamp" had a hugely positive effect. I reckon my active pre was simply too high gain for the amp and attenuators. It's a bit hit or miss, though some more careful look at the specs may have given me an indication in advance.