PDA

View Full Version : The latest incarnation...

Haselsh1
08-02-2012, 13:52
This is the basis of my very modest system which although not the best I have ever owned, satifies me at the moment:

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/Haselsh1/OriginalCDPBWNo1.jpg

This is my Original 2008F HDCD player from China which had to be modified by the fitting of a UK spec mains transformer.

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/Haselsh1/IconAudioBWNo1.jpg

This is my Icon Audio Stereo 20PP which is a fab amplifier on a strict budget and which has just been overhauled by Icon Audio at no cost to me.

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/Haselsh1/DaliIkonBWNo1.jpg

My Dali Ikon 1 Mk 1's. I love these loudspeakers. I love the midrange, I love the treble sparkle and air and I love the stereo imaging.

I also have a Project RPM4 with standard tonearm and an Ortofon OM30 Super cartridge which will suffice until better funding comes along probably when I am lucky enough to get a better job or at least one with a better rate of pay.

Until that day, this system I find does just what it is supposed to and I love the sound of EL84 valves. With a bit more luck I shall be trying my hand at tube rolling later in the summer.

Dominic Harper
08-02-2012, 13:57
They are absolutely stunning photos Shaun. I love black and white pics, you really captured the meaning of music with these pics. Is this your profession?

Natalie;)

Haselsh1
08-02-2012, 14:06
They are absolutely stunning photos Shaun. I love black and white pics, you really captured the meaning of music with these pics. Is this your profession?

Natalie;)

Hmmm, where to start...?

I started photography at the age of ten when I developed my first film and made my first darkroom print. I never ever looked back after that and have been doing photography ever since. It is not a profession though more of a lifetime's experience. I never ever tire of photography and although these images are digital, I always use film for my serious studies. Through not being a profession I get to photograph only the things that I am passionate about. I would not really like to be a professional as I could never imagine shooting a dog's dinner (literally) or some such extreme item. For me it is about capturing the things that inspire me and that is mainly remote, lonely open spaces. I also love to shoot urban and industrial landscapes.

Many thanks for the comments and the question. I could talk for England on photographic art. It is my life.

Barry
08-02-2012, 17:50
Super photos Shaun!

Were they taken with your Hasselblad or did you use a digital(!) camera? Were the images post processed? I could never get that contrast range when I used to print black and white photographs - usually just an overall muddy grey!

It's always good to hear of members being satisfied, comfortable and 'at home' with their systems, especially if they have been put together without great expense. It's far to easy to chase after the "perfect" system (which of course does not exist), and in doing so spend vast quantities of money.

Good one

Regards

Barry
08-02-2012, 17:54
Opps! - just spotted you say the photographs were taken digitally.

Perhaps there is hope for me yet: I have a modest compact digital camera (a Lumix) and assume the conversion to B&W is done in the post processing wherein the contract can be increased.

Mr Nad
08-02-2012, 19:02

Perhaps there is hope for me yet: I have a modest compact digital camera (a Lumix) and assume the conversion to B&W is done in the post processing wherein the contract can be increased.

Have a look at Google's free photo managemen/editing software - Picasa (no spelling error there!). I use it to manage all my digital images,and for quick edits. It has a very good B&W filter, and plenty of other useful tools too. And it is non-destructive, even AFTER saving edits!

Barry
08-02-2012, 19:18
Have a look at Google's free photo managemen/editing software - Picasa (no spelling error there!). I use it to manage all my digital images,and for quick edits. It has a very good B&W filter, and plenty of other useful tools too. And it is non-destructive, even AFTER saving edits!

Thanks Lenny - I'll check that out. :)

quadsugdenman
08-02-2012, 19:31
This is the basis of my very modest system which although not the best I have ever owned, satifies me at the moment:

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/Haselsh1/OriginalCDPBWNo1.jpg

This is my Original 2008F HDCD player from China which had to be modified by the fitting of a UK spec mains transformer.

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/Haselsh1/IconAudioBWNo1.jpg

This is my Icon Audio Stereo 20PP which is a fab amplifier on a strict budget and which has just been overhauled by Icon Audio at no cost to me.

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/Haselsh1/DaliIkonBWNo1.jpg

My Dali Ikon 1 Mk 1's. I love these loudspeakers. I love the midrange, I love the treble sparkle and air and I love the stereo imaging.

I also have a Project RPM4 with standard tonearm and an Ortofon OM30 Super cartridge which will suffice until better funding comes along probably when I am lucky enough to get a better job or at least one with a better rate of pay.

Until that day, this system I find does just what it is supposed to and I love the sound of EL84 valves. With a bit more luck I shall be trying my hand at tube rolling later in the summer.

The Icon Audio amps are very underated. They are all hardwired and very well put together in my experience. They really do give value for money.;) Stunning camera angles and nice monochrome contrast and texture.
The days of Ilford FP4 / Multigrade paper and a Durst enlarger - great fun!!!

Haselsh1
09-02-2012, 10:41

Barry, to add further to what you said if I may, the photographs were taken using a 90 quid Fuji bridge camera and were then imported as RAW files into Photoshop CS2. Further post editing was done using a plugin called Silver Efex Pro which is what got the the black and white effect and the contrast range. Although I constantly bang on about film and the darkroom, I do use digital when I think digital would be beneficial. I still add though that I use silver based imaging for all of my serious work.

Haselsh1
09-02-2012, 10:49
The Icon Audio amps are very underated. They are all hardwired and very well put together in my experience. They really do give value for money.;) Stunning camera angles and nice monochrome contrast and texture.
The days of Ilford FP4 / Multigrade paper and a Durst enlarger - great fun!!!

Of course you are perfectly correct. Icon's amplifiers are all hard wired and use very high grade components. If there is a drawback it is that they are assembled in China. Somehow I tend to think that there is very little left in the World that isn't assembled in China.

To summarise the sound of the little Icon Stereo 20 PP I would say that it is very lively with a wide, extended treble and a really good solid bass which beats any EL34 based amplifier I have ever owned. I usually aliken EL34 bass to 'elastic band' bass but have to say that EL34 midrange is superior to EL84 midrange. I used to own an Audion Sterling ETSE EL34 based amplifier and the midrange was a thing of true beauty.

I think that the system I now have will suffice for a year or two when I shall eventually be in a better financial situation and will certainly ask Nick to build my ultimate EL34 amplifier for me. That was going to happen last year but then once again I came out of work. It seems to be a habit these days. I guess that at the moment, nothing is intended to be easy.

Haselsh1
09-02-2012, 10:54
Super photos Shaun!

Were they taken with your Hasselblad or did you use a digital(!) camera? Were the images post processed? I could never get that contrast range when I used to print black and white photographs - usually just an overall muddy grey!

It's always good to hear of members being satisfied, comfortable and 'at home' with their systems, especially if they have been put together without great expense. It's far to easy to chase after the "perfect" system (which of course does not exist), and in doing so spend vast quantities of money.

Good one

Regards

Barry, please be aware that the 'muddy grey' you refer to is no indication of your ability as a printer. Modern photographic printing papers do not have the ability to reproduce a heavy dense black as most of them are slightly warm toned. If an image is reproducing shades of brown, how on Earth can it reproduce black...?

For a true heavy dense black one should ideally use Ilford Multigrade RC Cooltone paper. This should be developed using an MQ type developer for extreme blacks. Bliss...!!!

Haselsh1
09-02-2012, 11:02
Barry, please be aware that the 'muddy grey' you refer to is no indication of your ability as a printer. Modern photographic printing papers do not have the ability to reproduce a heavy dense black as most of them are slightly warm toned. If an image is reproducing shades of brown, how on Earth can it reproduce black...?

For a true heavy dense black one should ideally use Ilford Multigrade RC Cooltone paper. This should be developed using an MQ type developer for extreme blacks. Bliss...!!!

I remember photographic papers such as Kodak Royal Bromesko and Velox. These papers were the finest printing papers that have ever existed. The quality of their images were beyond even my belief and I used them all of the time back in 1974. Then, the World decided to ban Cadmium and things dived into the dire situation that exists now. Barely one single quality paper around. Thank God that vinyl hasn't gone the same way. Mass mareketing bullshit. Who the hell made the decision that we want Coca Cola in cans...? I don't remember ever being asked. I want my Coke out of a glass bottle...!

Progress...! What progress...!!!

JJack
09-02-2012, 18:39
Nice pictures, nice system.

Re: your CD player: I have to say that I wish HDCD had caught on more; I think HDCDs played on my Arcam 92 were stunning.

TBL
09-02-2012, 22:24
Nice set up but you'd think if you started taking pics at the age of 10 you would have learnt to hold the camera straight by now. :doh: or maybe you do, but your just crap at DIY.

Haselsh1
10-02-2012, 12:07
Nice set up but you'd think if you started taking pics at the age of 10 you would have learnt to hold the camera straight by now. :doh: or maybe you do, but your just crap at DIY.

You obviously have no sense of imagination or creativity...?

TBL
10-02-2012, 13:09
You obviously have no sense of imagination or creativity...?
or maybe you have no sense of humour...?

Marco
10-02-2012, 13:10
Oi, you two, behave!

Marco.

Haselsh1
10-02-2012, 14:29
or maybe you have no sense of humour...?

Likewise methinks.

Marco
10-02-2012, 15:20
Let's leave it there now. Next one of you to retaliate will be on a week's ban. I do hope I've made myself clear!

Marco.