PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen - A new kind of truth

Wakefield Turntables
07-02-2012, 20:44
Anyone heard it, any thoughts/ Me personally, I think its great. Sometimes a records just clicks and whilst its not the boys strongest its not that bad! :cool: Worth a purchase on vinyl I think!

John
07-02-2012, 20:49
Been a long time since I listened to Van Halen whos on vocals

Wakefield Turntables
07-02-2012, 20:53
Diamond Dave Lee Roth, and his voice still sounds great. Its about 95% of what it used to be so get yourself the album!

Alex_UK
07-02-2012, 21:12
Sparrow (I think) posted that it is complete tosh (or similar) in the Spinning Today thread... :lol: Only one way to find out, I guess!

http://open.spotify.com/album/0X0SybzIOguTnGw4EozCZb

John
07-02-2012, 21:26
Saw Van Halen with Dave many years ago great front man in those days

Wakefield Turntables
07-02-2012, 21:39
Sparrow (I think) posted that it is complete tosh (or similar) in the Spinning Today thread... :lol: Only one way to find out, I guess!

http://open.spotify.com/album/0X0SybzIOguTnGw4EozCZb

There have been 50+ reviews on Amazon.com with 90%+ giving it 5 stars. Its not to everyone's taste.

Thing Fish
07-02-2012, 21:54
I just gave it a listen. If you like VH then you won't be disappointed as it's more of the same really.

Some really nice Eddie licks and DLR sounds as sharp as ever. Few too many double tracked vocals for my liking but then again there always was imho.

As I said if you like VH then it a no brainer. Go buy it.

sparrow
07-02-2012, 23:01
There have been 50+ reviews on Amazon.com with 90%+ giving it 5 stars. Its not to everyone's taste.

I jumped the gun a bit...it's not a bad album but takes a few spins or ten to get into. There is a distinct lack of ''tunes'' IMO

Spectral Morn
07-02-2012, 23:01
I didn't think that Sammy Hagar would last and DLR would come back. Saw DLR live years ago, agree re being a great showman, though David Coverdale would in my opinion back then (late 80's) be the better all rounder.

I like Van Halen up to a point but I will wait till this album is in the bargain bins/sales.

Regards D S D L

Wakefield Turntables
08-02-2012, 19:39
Some really nice Eddie licks and DLR sounds as sharp as ever. Few too many double tracked vocals for my liking but then again there always was imho.

As I said if you like VH then it a no brainer. Go buy it.

Mate, I agree with you here with the double tracked vocals. But cant complain I suppose.

I jumped the gun a bit...it's not a bad album but takes a few spins or ten to get into. There is a distinct lack of ''tunes'' IMO

No worries mate, I've played it about 10 times and still havent gelled with all of it. ;)

I like Van Halen up to a point but I will wait till this album is in the bargain bins/sales.

Regards D S D L

I'm a sucker for VH so I'll be buying the deluxe version only available in the USA! Oh, well $58 is a lot but the record will get played shed loads :D

The Black Adder
13-02-2012, 13:25
I actually liked OU812 back in the day but now it's dated badly to my ears.

But the guitar work still stands out... :) He's not bad on the axe.

Stratmangler
22-02-2012, 08:52
I actually liked OU812 back in the day but now it's dated badly to my ears.

The studio techniques on that album (OU812) certainly haven't dated well.

The recording and production values of Van Halen's first album still sound superb, and stand up well today.
A big part of that is that the band were recorded live, and that includes the guitar solos - there was some minor guitar overdubbing (rhythm guitar to beef things up a touch during solos), and the vocals were redone afterwards.

So for each song you've essentially got a performance with a bit of fairy dust sprinkled on top for good measure.

The Grand Wazoo
22-02-2012, 09:40
The studio techniques on that album (OU812) certainly haven't dated well.

So that would be an old kind of truth?

Stratmangler
22-02-2012, 09:47
So that would be an old kind of truth?

I should have said that the studio techniques on that album (OU812) certainly haven't aged well.

julesd68
22-02-2012, 12:34
I didn't even know this had been released so thanks for the heads up - ordering cd today ...

Have listened to bits on YouTube and this sounds like an excellent VH album to me and better than a couple of early efforts for sure.

Question is - when does the tour come to Europe? That is one gig I won't be missing :hairmetal:

Wakefield Turntables
22-02-2012, 20:23
Question is - when does the tour come to Europe? That is one gig I won't be missing :hairmetal:

NEVER! They are $hit for in this respect. They once did the monster of rock in the uk and have never played since. :(

Pete The Cat
28-02-2012, 20:59
Before anyone leaps too far towards "not as good as they used to be" it's worth knowing that several tracks are re-workings from their first recorded demos in the 70s'.

Gene Simmons had produced a full album which wasn't commercially released but from which several songs reappeared with Ted Templeman's production on the first two proper Van Halen albums, plus "House Of Pain" a while later on "1984". It's a strong album in its own right and without wanting to bring AoS into disrepute is available, shall we say, from your usual under-the-counter sources as "Van Halen Zero". Quality is very good and probably in my all-time top 10 boot list.

"Outta Space" on the new album is basically "Let's Get Rockin'" from the above and there are a few others where the main riff if not more is derived from those early days.

Pete