PDA

View Full Version : Ortofon cadenza black - NEW TOY!

Wakefield Turntables
07-02-2012, 20:11
Guys,

Just picked this up tonight. http://www.ortofon.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=261&Itemid=269

Its sitting on the 1210 and even though its not properly set up all I can say is that its simply stunning:eek: I'm hearing and seeing new levels of detail that the old Audiotechnica cart I have simply cannot render. I'm a little knackered so I'll be writing a report on findings over next few days.

Andy

Tarzan
07-02-2012, 21:27
Guys,

Just picked this up tonight. http://www.ortofon.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=261&Itemid=269

Its sitting on the 1210 and even though its not properly set up all I can say is that its simply stunning:eek: I'm hearing and seeing new levels of detail that the old Audiotechnica cart I have simply cannot render. I'm a little knackered so I'll be writing a report on findings over next few days.

Andy

Congrats on your new purchase Andy, enjoy it and yes keep us informed:)

RobbieGong
07-02-2012, 21:53
Guys,

Andy

Andy, You Jammy wots not :) Big congrats. Thats is one serious cart you have purchased, you are gonna be smiling like a cheshire cat trust me. The Shibata stylus digs way way deep and protrays texture and timbre so realistic and musical it is a joy to hear. If my 2M Black is anything to go by you will be in heaven cause I've been after the Jubilee - same Shibata because of how pleased I've been with the Black, The Cadenza as you probably know replaced the highly regarded Jubilee so I know and have read it's a top draw cart. I'm gonna bore the pants off of people but I wont stop saying it, with the Shibata the set up is crucial,. It has a very sophistacated profile and is very susceptible to vta, azimuth etc etc (Check the net). Get it right and you wont stop playing music - ever. Get it wrong and it wont shine quite like you'd expect. It's right when horns sound amazing and so 3D / realistic also when they blow you'll hear the parping like real horns blow, you'll just know. All other instruments will just have such a lovely real sound, texture, timbre and with great seperation and just pop out like wow that instrument is being played in the room right here with me, vocals everything will sound wonderfully real and lifelike (realism). Leave vta til last (Shibata very sensitve to it) This is where the magic will happen please trust me on this. If you've got fly on the wheel vta your laughing cause I find the sweet spot will happen in a nats of a turn sometimes with my Black, you'll just hear while your turning carefully while playing a tune -Takes time, so be patient but so so worth it. Oh !! Did we say oodles of detail retrieval, your'e not kidding, if it's in those grooves she'll pick em out !! Your's like da Jubilee will do all this AND remain composed at volume - Man do I wish it was me wid dis cart - If you win the lottery Andrew, baggsie first you let me have it lol !

selfaddict
07-02-2012, 22:18
Sounds like a great buy Andy, keep us posted how you get on as the cart 'settles in'.

vouk
08-02-2012, 12:41
Great buy Andrew, that you will get to enjoy for many years; for my part, unless you are willing to spend some insane money, you won't even need to upgrade anytime soon. I listened to it recently, head on with an Ortofon Jubilee and I thought that it was the better performer between the two, by far. And even if the Jubilee can be bought at a much discounted price nowdays, the Cadenza is definitely worth the extra outlay. In many ways it is very similar (soundwise) to the A90 which, as a die hard Ortofon fan for many years, I think is probably the best cartridge Ortofon has ever produced.

RobbieGong
08-02-2012, 13:03
Great buy Andrew, that you will get to enjoy for many years; for my part, unless you are willing to spend some insane money, you won't even need to upgrade anytime soon. I listened to it recently, head on with an Ortofon Jubilee and I thought that it was the better performer between the two, by far. And even if the Jubilee can be bought at a much discounted price nowdays, the Cadenza is definitely worth the extra outlay. In many ways it is very similar (soundwise) to the A90 which, as a die hard Ortofon fan for many years, I think is probably the best cartridge Ortofon has ever produced.

As I thought, If it is better than the Jubilee then it is most definately a bit special. I read quite a few reviews about the Jubilee from back in the day and it was very highly regarded as one of the best. Time has passed though so Ortofon have built on it's many positives by the sound of things. Some people thought that the Cadenza Black was the Jubillee in black clothing as on paper they look pretty identical spec wise. Clearly they are not as per what you've heard - Damn ! that just makes me want one even more - honest (Anyone feeling VERY generous?!!! :D Incidently the A90 is another of Ortofon's anniversary carts (Like the Jubillee was) and raises the bar big time, definately very high end indeed, It's looks alone show serious quality and intent ! The Winfield sits somewhere in the middle and from what I've read is another stonker (That said I think they should be as they dont come cheap)

vouk
08-02-2012, 15:51
Robert, when I first heard the Jubilee, it was so good that it made me (almost) regret getting the Kontrapunkt C (which I currently own). The C is really good, but I thought that the Jubilee was slightly better in every respect. I am in the process of upgrading and thought that the Jubilee would be the default choice - until my dealer had me listen to the Black; for me the Cadenza won, hands down.
He then put on the A-90 (which he knows I can't afford but he is sadistic that way) - and, while stunning in its presentation, didn't really make me think that it was worth THAT MUCH more than the Black.
From what I have heard so far (Bronze & Black), the Cadenza series is by no means a rehashing of the Kontrapunkt series; different sonic signatures, with a sweeter top end (Cadenzas).

Roy S
08-02-2012, 16:24
You'll all have to get one of these

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss68/Lodger56/cadenza.jpg

RobbieGong
08-02-2012, 19:29
You'll all have to get one of these

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss68/Lodger56/cadenza.jpg

Ha Ha Nice one Roy, Do they do it in medium please :lol:

Wakefield Turntables
08-02-2012, 19:33
I've had the thing 2 days and still not properly listened to the thing. Hopefully on Friday I'll dig out the SME V alignment tools out and hopefully get the setup correctly. I already have experience of how sensitive the thing is to VTA ect. I usually listen to dream theater as a reference as the drums are an excellent tester of bass power!! Well, 1st play was very very lacking, just a very small twiddle of the tracking weight and VTA suddenly brought bass back to normal and also a great deal of microdetail! Well write more on Saturday with a little luck. Ortofon do say that the black should be worn in after 10 hours!!

RobbieGong
08-02-2012, 19:39
Robert, when I first heard the Jubilee, it was so good that it made me (almost) regret getting the Kontrapunkt C (which I currently own). The C is really good, but I thought that the Jubilee was slightly better in every respect. I am in the process of upgrading and thought that the Jubilee would be the default choice - until my dealer had me listen to the Black; for me the Cadenza won, hands down.
He then put on the A-90 (which he knows I can't afford but he is sadistic that way) - and, while stunning in its presentation, didn't really make me think that it was worth THAT MUCH more than the Black.
From what I have heard so far (Bronze & Black), the Cadenza series is by no means a rehashing of the Kontrapunkt series; different sonic signatures, with a sweeter top end (Cadenzas).

John what are you trying to do to me. I love the Ortofon carts I've hear, I just think Ortofon are seriously on it when it comes to vinyl replay. My 2M Black is the best mm / cart I've ever owned and I've had loads going back way back when, cant even remember exact models anymore just make. Never had an mc funny enough and one day I will and it will be one of these Ortofon mc dons (probably Jubilee or Cadenza Black, depending on funds at the time). I know the mc Jubilee would be better still than what I have, being described as the bigger mc brother to the 2M Black so the fact the Cadenzas is even better, which I can believe, (I really dont think Ortofon wouldn't rise to the challenge and improve the Jubilee, they are more than capable and serious about this stuf) is sheer torture in terms of a yearning, need and desire ! ( ooh! ah! Mrs ! :lol:)

vouk
08-02-2012, 21:03
I know exactly what you mean...Now all I need to do is find that extra bit of cash somewhere.:D

RobbieGong
08-02-2012, 21:23
I've had the thing 2 days and still not properly listened to the thing. Hopefully on Friday I'll dig out the SME V alignment tools out and hopefully get the setup correctly. I already have experience of how sensitive the thing is to VTA ect. I usually listen to dream theater as a reference as the drums are an excellent tester of bass power!! Well, 1st play was very very lacking, just a very small twiddle of the tracking weight and VTA suddenly brought bass back to normal and also a great deal of microdetail! Well write more on Saturday with a little luck. Ortofon do say that the black should be worn in after 10 hours!!

Nice one Andrew you are one fortunate man. If I didn't care the credit card would get wacked with a Cadenza Black and a better psu than my standard Timestep, all in the blink of an eye. Keep us posted re: how you get on. Keep twiddling though cause as you probably know when you do hit that sweetspot ya gonna know and possibly have an accident too if you know wot I mean :lolsign:

Wakefield Turntables
08-02-2012, 21:49
Rob,

Sorry to pi$$ you off a little mate but I'm also getting a SR7 PSU from Paul Hynes in next few weeks and I'll be dumping the timestep!

Andy

RobbieGong
08-02-2012, 22:09
Rob,

Sorry to pi$$ you off a little mate but I'm also getting a SR7 PSU from Paul Hynes in next few weeks and I'll be dumping the timestep!

Andy

Serious $h*t Andrew you are in maximum 'no compromise' mode playin wid da 'high grade' toys lol - Good on you ! :D

Wakefield Turntables
08-02-2012, 23:14
Only other thing I'll be doing before the end of the year is to get the V rewired so it has balanced output and then go about finding an SUT which matches the characteristics I want. Then, I have a burning desire to really redesign and optimise one or two things about the 1210 but they really are far out projects that may never see the light of day. :eek:

Tarzan
08-02-2012, 23:34
Only other thing I'll be doing before the end of the year is to get the V rewired so it has balanced output and then go about finding an SUT which matches the characteristics I want. Then, I have a burning desire to really redesign and optimise one or two things about the 1210 but they really are far out projects that may never see the light of day. :eek:

Jesus that is one sorted Techy Andy:youtheman:

Wakefield Turntables
09-02-2012, 20:07
Jesus that is one sorted Techy Andy:youtheman:

Thanks mate! It would be even more sorted out if I had £6K for the Ortofon Anna http://www.ortofon.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=363&Itemid=397 Look out for a review in next months HiFi World. Now that is a cartridge I'd buy if I won the lottery. I'll be installing Paul Hynes tripple regulations before the end of the year but i want to get to know the sound of my 1210 with the black and the new SR7 PSU before I start adding those and then I'll be starting work on some PCB mods and chasis mods amongst other things. ;)

Just a few quick musings..........

I'm currently listening to Leo Kottke - 6 and 12 strings guitars. I'm getting a fantastically open midband. 3D imaging. More microdetail than you can through a stick add. Its just like the dude is sitting in front of me.

The Hi-Q records recording of the 1973 Andre Previn version of Holst's- The Planets is amazing. Massive depth, I can see behing the soundstage which is the 1st time that my 1210 has managed that! The bass on this cartridge is mighty deep

I could go on but Friday will be when I finally get the thing properly aligned and then the real listening begins! :cool:

Wakefield Turntables
09-02-2012, 20:46
Just a quick photo of the Black.

Tarzan
09-02-2012, 21:09
:youtheman::youtheman::youtheman::youtheman:, glad you are enjoying it!

chris@panteg
09-02-2012, 21:25
Very nice indeed , enjoy it Andy .