PDA

View Full Version : Thorens service

MikeMusic
06-02-2012, 17:44
I think my LP12 will be a while before being 100% sorted. I need my vinyl fix.
I have a Thorens TD166 MkII donated by the very kind Lozzy from Cix
It's not working 100%
Good place to have it looked over please ?

Dingdong
06-02-2012, 17:53
What is it not doing?

hifi_dave
06-02-2012, 18:27
Mike, why not get your LP12 running properly ? It's not going to cost you anything like the quote you had.

Admittedly, there will not be any pixie dust involved but it will be working properly.:rolleyes:

DSJR
06-02-2012, 20:38
The TD166 is strangled my the plastic inner hub it comes with, although if you can get a cast inner hub with properly matched bearing spindle (they had various spindle diameters over the years), you can turn it into a TD160 and then get a new belt, and a better plinth etc etc...

Take HiFi dave's advice. it won't cost the earth for a basik :) LP12 service - springs, grommets, belt, laminated arm-board if you have the plywood one, possibly a mat and a proper sort out of bolts and plinth tightening should do it and doing this CAN'T cost much over £100 all in can it?

MikeMusic
09-02-2012, 11:31
Seems to be running slow

MikeMusic
09-02-2012, 11:32
I shall !
I'm going for the new arm cable and a service -as they had already taken it apart, much less than I anticipated. No Cirkus, limited pixie dust :-)

MikeMusic
09-02-2012, 11:37
The LP12 is being partly sorted.
I have this Thorens that doesn't quite work and it would be good to have it working, hopefully for not a lot.
Ah - just spotted the "Strangely Isolated place" that's 2 people we both like !
And I must confess to at least having you 2 Daves confused/as one at least in my own head, possibly a nonsensical reply previously
Currently listenig to Anand - Mysterious Ways. Very Satriani like

hifi_dave
09-02-2012, 11:45
I shall !
I'm going for the new arm cable and a service -as they had already taken it apart, much less than I anticipated. No Cirkus, limited pixie dust :-)

They took it apart without you giving the 'go ahead' ?

Would you mind telling me how much for the service and cable ?

stewartwen
09-02-2012, 11:46
Try this place for all Thorens t/ts

http://www.theanalogdept.com/

S

DSJR
09-02-2012, 12:22
I don't get to hear any far away trains passing by here, where I live :) But I do seem to occupy a place Between Us and Them rather too much these days, needing plenty of Morning Paracetemol (actually, super-strength Codein in my case...........)

The LP12 should really be regarded as a "blue-printed" Thorens TD150 and various set-up procedures should be done the same way. The TD160 series may look totally different underneath the top plate, but getting the suspension to work properly is similar, aided by the cam-washers underneath each spring which, once understood, help in centering the suspension as well :)

I need a 160 Super SME cut board (the MDF one) to get mine going again with the SME (I was never a fan of the moulded plastic original). It'll be interesting to see how it fares ;)

By the way, I believe the TD160's ran ever-so-slightly fast. If your 166 is slow, I'd suspect the belt is too loose (happens after a very few years on these) and possibly rubbing the guide-fork - turn the outer platter over and place upside down on the inner to see what's happening.

MikeMusic
10-02-2012, 10:15
Looking for the problem I assume. I did give them the go ahead for the work before coming here and totalling it all up. I'm looking at the positive side of this. I saved a small fortune.
Think it will come to just under £300.
I've learned my lesson. Here first.

MikeMusic
10-02-2012, 10:16
Thanks. Will do

MikeMusic
10-02-2012, 10:21
Thanks. I'll have a look inside

Pat Metheny doesn't have much to say ....... :-)
Don't have a reference point for drove over a pothole in the snow and wrecked a tyre coming to work or one for bit of something got caught in my bikes front mudguard and ripped it half out going home yesterday - Oh, maybe "yesterday, my front mudguard was ok"