PDA

View Full Version : Morch/Moerch UP-4 or DP-6

vouk
06-02-2012, 16:13
Hey all,

Thinking of upgrading my tonearm (currently using a RB-300 with Origin Live upgrades) on my Amazon 2 turntable. Most people around seem to recommended the Morch tonearms - which Amazon also uses. Anyone had experience with these arms? I have heard that they can be a little fiddly to set up. Also, is the DP-6 really worth the extra premium?
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
J.

PS. Cartridge used will be an Ortofon Kontrapunkt C.

stevied
07-02-2012, 15:34
Hi

I use a morch dp6 on a hyperspace and it's quite a superb combination they our not hard to set up,

Never heard a up4 but I believe the dp6 is the better sounding ,

So if you have the funds I would go for the dp6

Regards

vouk
09-02-2012, 12:57
Hi Steve and thanks for your input. That is the kind of feedback that I keep getting; the UP-4 is a fine tonearm but everyone recommends the DP-6 if funds allow. Good news - the Amazon dealer here in Greece also distributes the Morch tonearms so I will get the chance to audition them.

Joe Backer
10-02-2012, 01:40
...that wasn't my experience at all. It's very system dependent. I have an Amazon Model 2 and I had a UP4 which I loved, sold it for a DP6 and was unhappy. Got another UP4, this time with a precision armwand and was even happier. If you like the "unipivot sound" you won't be happy with the DP6. I found it overly smooth and lacking the air of the UP4. The midrange was a bit smoother and there was some more bass for sure, but overall I think that the UP4 is a better arm... in my system at least :) I don't think I'm unusual based on what I read on Audiogon and AudioAsylum. Can you listen to both?

Marco
10-02-2012, 11:08
Hi Joe,

Welcome to AoS :)

On your next visit, please pop into the Welcome area, as you were asked to do in your registration email, and introduce yourself to our community, telling what system you use and what music you like, as this information is required of all new members joining our community.

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

stevied
10-02-2012, 14:51
...that wasn't my experience at all. It's very system dependent. I have an Amazon Model 2 and I had a UP4 which I loved, sold it for a DP6 and was unhappy. Got another UP4, this time with a precision armwand and was even happier. If you like the "unipivot sound" you won't be happy with the DP6. I found it overly smooth and lacking the air of the UP4. The midrange was a bit smoother and there was some more bass for sure, but overall I think that the UP4 is a better arm... in my system at least :) I don't think I'm unusual based on what I read on Audiogon and AudioAsylum. Can you listen to both?

Your the first person I know recommends a up4 over a dp6 most people I know upgrade from the up4 to the morch dp6

Regards

vouk
12-02-2012, 14:25
Thanks everyone for your input. I can indeed listen to both so I should be able to make an informed decision. Last time I talked to my dealer, he did in fact recommend the UP-4 Precision for my turntable - saving up over the DP-6 will also mean a better tonearm cable in the mix.
And Joe, he pretty much said the same thing with you about the differences in sound between the two, arguing that the UP-4 is slightly more detailed and more "forward" in its presentation; plus a tried and tested match with my Ortofon Kontrapunkt C.