PDA

View Full Version : New Month, New dumbass question.

northwest
05-02-2012, 22:10
My aim here is to try to limit my dumb questions to a maximum of one per month. That way, I hope to avoid the moniker of "the guy who asks dumbass questions". Well, on to this months question:
How do you dust your records? I mean, when you take the record out of the sleve and there is some dust on it do you:
1) wipe it with your sleeve
2) get the super secret special dust remover thingy out and disappear the dust
3) do nothing
4) go get the mop and bucket

You don't have to chose these exact answers, you can make up your own.
Thanks in advance.

jostber
05-02-2012, 22:20
I use the Furutech antistatic brush and the Roksan two stage record brush. Makes them records cleansed for dust and static free.

http://www.musiclinkav.com/store/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/resized/FURUTECH_SK_2_AN_4d4700b5d896a_150x150.jpg

http://www.needledoctor.com/core/media/media.nl?id=11780&c=ACCT106601&h=ca452a31db5590b2131b

DSJR
05-02-2012, 22:24
I use an Exstatic carbon-fibre brush from yonks ago and I also have the Path version of what appears to be the furutech :)

Marco
05-02-2012, 22:32
Got a pic of the Path one, Dave, and/or any details of its construction? :)

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
05-02-2012, 22:40
I clean them with a vacuum RCM & put them into a new anti-static inner sleeve.
Then I try not to let them get dust on them.
If, despite all that, there's a bit of dust there when it comes to playing them, I use a carbon fibre brush.
I put them straight back in the sleeve after use.

Alex_UK
05-02-2012, 22:44
No limit on dumbass questions Graham - there might be a world record to beat, and it is probably mine! ;)

I'm afraid I also splurged on the Furutech make-up brush - made from the hair of a badgers scrotum or some such I seem to recall - I only bought one 'cos I'd had too much to drink one night but it certainly does the business (with records, not tried it for blusher yet.) I suspect what I really need is a proper record cleaning machine though - I've tried a few other options in my time, but came to the conclusion that noughts and ones need far less scrubbing. ;)

MartinT
05-02-2012, 22:58
I clean them with a vacuum RCM & put them into a new anti-static inner sleeve.
Then I try not to let them get dust on them.
If, despite all that, there's a bit of dust there when it comes to playing them, I use a carbon fibre brush.
I put them straight back in the sleeve after use.

+1. Additionally, I touch my SUT's earth post while cleaning with the carbon fibre brush to ensure that I have a path to ground.

The Vinyl Adventure
05-02-2012, 23:15
It's the dumbass statements on forums that cause problems on forum, not dumbass questions ... :)

The Grand Wazoo
05-02-2012, 23:52
There are no dumb questions. The only dumb things are the people who don't ask them for fear of being thought of as dumb.
Ask away!

sq225917
06-02-2012, 00:05
I play the record then pick the dust off the stylus- simples...

RobHolt
06-02-2012, 00:10
One revolution with a Hunt EDA brush followed by a quick flick. One of these, but a few brands market the same thing:

http://www.analogueseduction.net/product/Hunt%7CEDA_Record_Cleaning_Brush_HUNT-EDARB

Rob

Dingdong
06-02-2012, 00:14
One revolution with a Hunt EDA brush followed by a quick flick. One of these, but a few brands market the same thing:

http://www.analogueseduction.net/product/Hunt%7CEDA_Record_Cleaning_Brush_HUNT-EDARB

Rob

I've got one of those. Works a treat for removing dust. Still looking to buy a proper vacuum rcm in a bit as well.

Macca
06-02-2012, 00:37
There is also the 'City Banker' method - Roll up a ten pound note and snort the dust up...a fiver will do in a pinch if you're really skint but that will be bodging it a bit.

And now back to the Superbowl (zzzzz,,,)

Chops
06-02-2012, 01:14
Okki Nokki RCM, Zerostat anti-static gun and then Super Exstatic brush if there's some dust hanging around.

Chris

northwest
06-02-2012, 09:14
Well I am going to buy the Hunt EDA brush as I remember having something similar back when. Not sure about the bollock brush though and really unsure of the price:stalks:

keiths
06-02-2012, 10:30
Clean on Moth record cleaning machine, into new inner sleeve. Occasional carbon fibre brushage. No unicorn pube brush.

Chops
06-02-2012, 11:01
Well I am going to buy the Hunt EDA brush as I remember having something similar back when. Not sure about the bollock brush though and really unsure of the price:stalks:

You might save a couple of precious ones going for the Milty/Goldring Exstatic. I believe they're the same article.;)

northwest
07-02-2012, 00:32
You might save a couple of precious ones going for the Milty/Goldring Exstatic. I believe they're the same article.;)

Yes, you were right. Got the Goldring one for a couple pwnnies less than twenty quid delivered.

Really wondering about this item though, any thoughts?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobile-Fidelity-Original-Master-Sleeves/dp/B005AHYWP2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2

The Grand Wazoo
07-02-2012, 00:39
Lots of folks like them but I think 50 pence each is pretty pricey, really.
Try the ones on this thread (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3141) from Snow Records in Japan - 14 pence each including postage!

EDIT:
Doh! Just added the link

Barry
07-02-2012, 00:51
As Martin and Chris have said. My carbon fibre brush is an original Decca design. (The later half Kevlar/half carbon fibre Decca brush is still available on eBay for £5.)

If I'm feeling lazy, then I'll do as sq225917 does - anyway if you use a Decca cartridge invariably you have to clean the stylus after playing a record.

I don't mess about with a de-ionising 'gun'. Unless you use them correctly, they are as likely to charge up the record as discharge it.

In my opinion if you have 500 LPs or more, you owe it to yourself to buy an RCM. They may be expensive for what they are, but not in the grand scheme of things.

The Grand Wazoo
07-02-2012, 00:56
In my opinion if you have 500 LPs or more, you owe it to yourself to buy an RCM. They may be expensive for what they are, but not in the grand scheme of things.

That's a good formula really, especially when seen in the context of the anti-static inner sleeves at 50 pence each.
Less than £1 a disc to have all of your records deep cleaned just once is good value. To be able to do that over and over again for that price is an absolute bargain.

Marco
07-02-2012, 01:12

+1. Quite simply, no genuine vinyl enthusiast should be without one!

Oh, and some of the crap I've been reading recently on forums elsewhere on how to supposedly 'clean' records, beggars belief!! :mental:

It never ceases to amaze me how people who run £3k+ turntables, with £1k+ cartridges, in systems to match, baulk at spending £400 or so on an RCM, and insist on penny pinching instead, by pouring PVA glue and goodness knows what other pish on their precious records, in some fruitless attempt at cleaning them on the cheap.

My message to them is: get yer priorities right, stop being so fucking tight-fisted, and get yer hands in yer pockets and buy a decent RCM!!!

<Rant over>

Marco.

MartinT
07-02-2012, 06:53
I've yet to come across a better inner sleeve than the Nagaoka ones. You put a record in the sleeve, all crackling with static (even after a journey through the RCM) and, one day later, that static has gone forever. The records slide easily in and out as proof. They also fit easily inside the existing inner sleeve.

http://www.analogueseduction.net/product/Nagaoka_Record_Inner_Sleeves_-_Pack_of_50_NAG-IS

Marco
07-02-2012, 09:48
I completely agree, Martin.

I've tried cutting costs by buying less expensive versions (such as those from Mobile Fidelity), but it's been a false economy, as they're just not as good. For whatever reason, they don't offer as effective anti-static protection.

Like you say, blast a record through the RCM, pop it into a Naga sleeve, and worry not EVER about static or dust! :)

Marco.

northwest
07-02-2012, 10:00
Okay, now I bought the sleeves from Analogue Seduction. This is an expensive club I joined!

(not really, my music has never sounded so good)

MartinT
07-02-2012, 10:23
It's all about looking after your valuable music :)