PDA

View Full Version : Look what I got yesterday....

Grez
05-02-2012, 21:58
Looking through a charity shop in town, I came across a first pressing of "Tubular Bells."

Sorry, but I couln't help myself from getting it :D

I know they're not exactly worth a lot in terms of cash, but for me it's more than the money - it's like owning a first edition of a book like Oliver Twist. When yolu think how influential the album's been over the years, and also the fact it was the first release on Virgin Records, it was too good to be true. Plays alright as well - although could do with a professional clean I think.

Not bad for a couple of quid though. Really enjoyed playing it while drinking cocoa and watching the snow fall yesterday.

jazzpiano
06-02-2012, 02:21
Nice pickup Graeme! "but for me it's more than the money" - spot on!

Best,
Barry

WOStantonCS100
06-02-2012, 02:23
Cool.

keiths
06-02-2012, 10:38
Nice find Grez. I always check any charity shop copies of Tubular Bells to see if it's the first pressing with the black and white label as my copy is a later one with the coloured label. No luck so far...

Marco
06-02-2012, 11:06
Hi Grez,

Nice find indeed, and I totally understand why you appreciate it so. I feel the exact same way about many of my records, which is one of the reasons why I love vinyl so much :)

Plays alright as well - although could do with a professional clean I think.

As I enjoy rewarding like-minded enthusiasts, if you want, send me the album and I will clean it for you professionally through my RCM and pop it inside a nice anti-static sleeve, F.O.C.

All you need provide is the appropriate packaging and cover the costs of postage. The record will be cleaned and returned to you the same day, and it'll come back looking and sounding better than ever!

PM me if you're interested, and we'll sort it out :cool:

Marco.

Haselsh1
06-02-2012, 11:31
Very well spotted Grez. There is a definite pride of ownership with vinyl that you don't really get with CD's and as for digital files... Jesus...!

chelsea
06-02-2012, 11:53
Nice one.
That for me sums up vinyl.
Money is not important,it's the joy of owning/finding it.

Can't say i have or will ever get that from owning a cd/download and that's where i feel kids are missing out.

How much fun is it going through the vinyl in a tiny shop you have never been to before.

Slightly more than surfing itunes imo.

Marco
06-02-2012, 12:03
Damned tootin' it is!!

Marco.

keiths
06-02-2012, 14:42
My charity shop vinyl hunting is getting out of hand - I seem to go into the local 3 pretty much every day at the moment :doh:

Audioman
07-02-2012, 12:14
Obviously your local charity shops are unaware of the true value. The white label pressings go for around the £20 mark. If you want a realy clean pressing that is equal to the SQ of this one I would recommend the Classic 200g reissue. They did a realy great job on the mastering and there are still copies around at £30.

Alex_UK
07-02-2012, 12:16
I will check labels whenever I see this in future! I have 2 copies, both coloured labels. :(

keiths
07-02-2012, 13:45
Obviously your local charity shops are unaware of the true value.

This is true. I've offered many times to go through their vinyl and advise them what to charge. They aren't interested and put it all out at 99p. Though they did spot a first pressing of the Rolling Stones' 'Sticky Fingers' (complete with functional zip). They charged £4.99 for that one :doh: