PDA

View Full Version : SUT advice please

snuffbox
05-02-2012, 08:52
I've been using a pair of Ortofon t5 step ups for my Troika cartridge and due to a renewed interest in things hifi decided to go for a better quality.
I thought I had a solution but it appears now I haven't:scratch:so I would like to pick your brains.
My phono stage is an NVA mm.They can upgrade it and redo it for mc for £50.
Bargain
However would the 6:1 Partridges which are available for £90 be a better proposition.
I passed up on some 12:1 because I thought I'd be getting something else but it wasn't to be.
The Troika's output is of the .2mv.I think I got that right
Thanks

chris@panteg
05-02-2012, 09:42
I would try the NVA upgrade if it was me , can't grumble for £50 and Richard Dunn's load rejecting approach seems to make sense to me .

snuffbox
05-02-2012, 16:07
On your advice I shall give that a go.
A pair of T5's went for £50 or £60 on the bay recently.

DSJR
05-02-2012, 16:13
Mad money for T5's, they're as rough as a badger's backside - and yes, I do have a set (the identical Sony equivalents in fact).

Since it's so cheap to adapt your existing phono stage, this is a no-brainer I think. The Troika isn't too fussy on loading I remember (unlike a Denon I think), so a generic 100 ohm plus setting may well be fine (I think the Naim K boards were 470 ohms from memory and possibly added a little extra capacitance too, although I can't remember now).

chris@panteg
05-02-2012, 16:48
On your advice I shall give that a go.
A pair of T5's went for £50 or £60 on the bay recently.

Wise choice , see how you go with it , if you did fancy an SUT in the future? I suggest looking for an Audio Inovations series 1000 as a minimum , using the high setting, I ran a Troika for 9 years and this was what I used , good alternative is the T10 by Puresound.

snuffbox
05-02-2012, 16:54
Hanks chaps. Very helpful.