PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd remasters

DanJennings
04-02-2012, 09:44
I was wondering if any of you had heavily invested in the new Pink Floyd remasters....

I have pretty much everything they ever released, so starting again would be an awfully big step, so basically my question is, are they worth it?

As I understand it, there are 3 editions, Discovery, Experience and Immersion.

I think every album is getting the Discovery edition, and only a few are getting the Experience/Immersion treatment; Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here and The Wall if memory serves.

The Immersion sets seem incredibly expensive considering that all you seem to get is some extra DVDs that are replicated on Blu Ray (surely one or the other would have sufficed?) and some random memorabilia.... If anyone owns one and can put me straight, please do...

Basically I just would like to see honest opinions on whether they are happy with the bonus material and remastering jobs.

I have been given the Discovery edition of Obscured By Clouds, which does sound rather nice, but I never owned it on CD before, just a battered old vinyl copy, so I don't have a lot to compare it to.

slate
04-02-2012, 10:11
Can't comment from personal experience but I recently read both positive and negative reviews on amazon.co.uk a few weeks back.

I got a bit tempted after Bill (Radio Paradise) put some of the "new" tracks on rotation; and reading comments like this from Kurtster:

MrPelicano wrote:I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan, going all the way back to the beginning, in 1966-67, and while there's a lot to like about this song, including the sound quality for being a live recording, in a stadium, in 1974, I remain somewhat underwhelmed by what feels like a lack of energy in the band's performance. I didn't get to see them live until "The Wall" tour played the Los Angeles Sports Arena, but this performance just seems to be lacking in energy / punch. Technically fine, but just not wowing me like some of their earlier live performances. Go back and have a listen to the power of the studio version of this song and I think you'll see what I mean. Doesn't change my love for the band, of course.

Kurtster:
Having seen them at least 5 times that I can remember, this does capture what they were like live in the beginning. The first time I got to see them, they were still just known to a few. My first listen was during the summer of 67 or 68, one of em, a long, long time ago.

Anyway, the first time I saw them was in the old gym at Kent State (3000 max ?). They were only a small hall outfit really until DSOTM broke out and even then, they were still transitioning. This has the feel of the small hall energy, where they played quietly and delicately. They used to get mad when people would cheer or clap in the middle of songs.

The arena version of PF is much different. That has the high energy that everyone is used to hearing in their live recordings. Thank goodness this is a very high quality live recording. It has captured the essence of what PF used to be live in the beginning.

I wouldn't want the box just for the live. I would love to have this live stuff from this show. Its on DVD but don't know if its available seperately. I've got Pulse on Laserdisc.

I'm still sifting through the Tree Full of Secrets stuff which is 18 discs.

MartinT
04-02-2012, 10:17
I have the Discovery editions of WYWH and Animals, and boy did they need it. Excellent remasters that do the albums justice. As for Dark Side, however, the 30th Anniversary SACD is the one to have (with an SACD player, of course). It's a quite superb remaster and blows all the original CDs and Mo-Fi versions away.

Wakefield Turntables
04-02-2012, 16:13
got WYWH and DSOM on remastered vinyl, both excellent. Well worth the dosh!

baron
04-02-2012, 17:31

+1
I've pre ordered the wall on vinyl.

I also have the Discovery CD box set, which is also very good.

DanJennings
04-02-2012, 17:48
Now that's interesting, didn't know there was a discovery box set, very reasonably priced too by the look of it....

sparrow
04-02-2012, 20:56
Get the box Dan I have all the remasters and they are all superb..piss poor packaging though with flimsy card sleeves.:steam:

DanJennings
04-02-2012, 21:36
think I might drop some birthday hints...

Has anyone got any of the experience ones?

chris@panteg
05-02-2012, 11:05
I have the Discovery editions of WYWH and Animals, and boy did they need it. Excellent remasters that do the albums justice. As for Dark Side, however, the 30th Anniversary SACD is the one to have (with an SACD player, of course). It's a quite superb remaster and blows all the original CDs and Mo-Fi versions away.

I have that Martin :) And yes i agree the SACD is fab.

Rare Bird
05-02-2012, 12:39
The last Floyd issues were an issue for me. I planned just buying the Immersion sets as they appeared from 'Piper At The Gates Of Dawn' to 'Dark Side Of The Moon' but nothing was writen in stone to say they would all see an actual immersion release. So i decided to just buy the 'DSOTM' immersion set & all the rest as standard CD releases..

However if the rest do see an immersion release i will of course dump the standard issues.. I quite like the immersion of 'DSOTM' but i feel money could have been spent elsewhere by giving us something more usefull than a scarf & marbles, at the end of the day grown up will be the purchasers of these expensive sets not kids :rolleyes:

MartinT
05-02-2012, 13:21
i feel money could have been spent elsewhere by giving us something more usefull than a scarf & marbles, at the end of the day grown up will be the purchasers of these expensive sets not kids :rolleyes:

Good point, Andr'e.

sparrow
05-02-2012, 15:46
I believe there will be only 3 immersion sets. Think I read it in Record Collector. I didn't buy any of them because of the price & most of the content would be useless to me.

keiths
05-02-2012, 19:35
I've the 2 disc 'Experience' sets for both DSotM and WYWH. The extra tracks are well worth having in my opinion.

Audioman
07-02-2012, 12:37

DSOTM AND WYWH vinyl are from the new hi-res digital sources. I would agree surprisingly good but I think the 2003 DSOTM which is analogue remix is better, mastered at Acoustec. Just wish they had been done all analogue but WYWH is especially welcome considering the noise problems with most originals. I think the Immersion sets are just ridiculously expensive and it is llikely the bonus material ever gets played once.