PDA

View Full Version : Classical Record Source in US

jazzpiano
03-02-2012, 18:32
Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a reliable classical LP source in the United States? I have good jazz sources and used to have real quality classical ones too, but most have moved, gone out of business, etc. Looking for not the most expensive, but not the cheapest either. I'd pay a little more for someone who cleans their records, grades carefully, and poly bags vs someone who sells cheap but doesn't check.

Best,
Barry :)

JJack
05-02-2012, 02:42
I buy all my LPs in person, but I had one thought:
I was just in NYC and visited Academy Records. The pricing was fair, you might see if they ship records - good luck!

jazzpiano
06-02-2012, 02:25
Thank you Jack, I have purchased from them in the past, and their classical expert, Mr. Yuzuru, is a very helpful gentleman. I'd just lke to have a couple more options. Perhaps I could try UK if shipping prices not too high?

Best,
Barry

JJack
06-02-2012, 16:27
Thank you Jack, I have purchased from them in the past, and their classical expert, Mr. Yuzuru, is a very helpful gentleman. I'd just lke to have a couple more options. Perhaps I could try UK if shipping prices not too high?

Best,
Barry

After I recommended this, I looked at their Amazon and Ebay stores - wow, they really charge a premium, premium price. Run-of-the-mill LPs that I would balk at paying $4 for go for $25.

I like the store, and the prices are cheaper in person, but I can't say that I'll recommend it any more at those prices.

jazzpiano
07-02-2012, 19:00
Yeah, I agree with you Jack, then you tack on shipping... They are a quality dealer though, so maybe if you search. I don't know about the effect of all these shops going over to the dark side of e-bay, amazon, etc., even though I know why they do it. It gets so homogenized, no personalization, and it seems like I'm not seeing as many nice records.
Plus, who's standing by their product? Is it the shop? E-bay? Amazon? What do you think?

Best,
Barry

JJack
08-02-2012, 14:50
Art Dudley had a recent column in Stereophile on this topic (the conclusion was that no one stands behind the product, or even really knows what the product is).

I'll tell you one strategy: I took out an ad in Craigslist saying that I was buying classical LPs and CDs. I was straightforward, saying that I had a huge collection already, and that I was only looking for odds and ends.

I offered to pay wholesale prices and said I wasn't a "collector" and that I wasn't looking for rare finds.

I had two immediate replies, and ended up buying about 30 good LPs from one person who took good care of his stuff. I graded the ones I didn't buy so that he'd know what they were worth.

I'll bet that you could run that ad in Madison Craigslist and find some retiring professor who has 1000 records to sell.

jazzpiano
08-02-2012, 18:09
Wow, very interesting idea Jack! I may try this. I'll let you know if I do and thanks for your thoughtful feedback.

Best,
Barry