PDA

View Full Version : Reference/Test disks

northwest
03-02-2012, 14:14
I see a few people talking about reference or test albums and CD's. Which ones should I buy? Which give the best bang for buck? Obviously this is all subjective but I would be grateful for people's opinions.

MartinT
03-02-2012, 15:39
Graham - do you mean discs with test tones etc. for measurement, or discs with test music? There are some which include both, but I can make recommendations based on what you want it for.

northwest
03-02-2012, 19:46
Graham - do you mean discs with test tones etc. for measurement, or discs with test music? There are some which include both, but I can make recommendations based on what you want it for.

Test music Martin. I have nothing to reference tones to or measure them with. But that's only a matter of time:lol:

MartinT
03-02-2012, 20:32
Ok, I have three that you may find of interest:

- Ultimate Stereo Hearing & Equipment Refresher (Musaeus MZCD-T-200) contains music, some of them repeat pieces with different treatments, to help you hear your system's characteristics better. Also contains some useful burn-in tracks.

- IsoMike Tests (Kimber 2007B) contains music outstandingly well recorded using a Kimber IsoMike.

- HFN/RR Test Disc II (HFN 015) contains a good selection of test music and test tones, some of which are useful without measurement tools.

morris_minor
03-02-2012, 22:48
Has anyone used the Clearaudio Burn-In disc? If so what did you make of it? At £50 it's not cheap ...

chelsea
03-02-2012, 22:58
Has anyone used the Clearaudio Burn-In disc? If so what did you make of it? At £50 it's not cheap ...

What's it meant to burn in?

morris_minor
03-02-2012, 23:06
What's it meant to burn in?

There are locked tracks of white (or pink?) noise meant to loosen up new cartridges quicker than playing them with normal music. I believe the disc also has frequency sweeps and such like.

MartinT
03-02-2012, 23:22
I use the Densen burn-in disc every couple of months. However, I find the Cleanwave function in my PS Audio Power Plant Premier has a much stronger effect.