PDA

View Full Version : speaker set up advice

Gmanuk101
03-02-2012, 11:23
Hi All

I have a pair of Monitor Audio BX2 Bronze speakers

Now at the rear of each speaker are 2 positive and 2 negative connectors.

I've got my speaker cable plugged into the lower pair.

However the speaker came with gold bar type things, that can fit onto the top two. I've currently got them off at the moment.

I've done some reading about bi-wiring, but am still non the wiser (loads of yes and loads of no don't do it).

So, will my speakers acutally benefit from having this gold bar bridging the top two connectors or not?

will it make the tweater sound any different? will it damage the speaker in the long run if I dont use it?

thanks guys...

Graeme

The Grand Wazoo
03-02-2012, 11:26
It sounds like you might not even be using your tweeter at the moment!

Dingdong
03-02-2012, 11:28
I believe that you need to gold bar in so that the tweeters are connected.The idea of bi-wiring or bi-amping was that you could have seperate runs of cable to the tweeters and woofers.

A lot of people do away with the bar and fit jumpers made from speaker cable as it's supposed to sound better.

The Grand Wazoo
03-02-2012, 11:29
I think you've set your speakers for bi-wiring, but you if haven't used a second run of speaker cable to the top pair of connections, then either the bass driver or tweeter are not electrically connected. Don't worry, you won't break anything.
Did you read the article in the AoS library about bi-wiring and bi-amping?

As mentioned above, you either need to add a second set of cables to power the other driver (bi-wiring), or you need to link the two sets of connectors together electrically (single wiring)- either with the bars (which usually sound inferior) or some cable. Any short lengths of cable will do & it doesn't need to have plugs on it. The cable you are using for speaker cable will be best.

Gmanuk101
03-02-2012, 11:31
doh! :lol::lol::lol:

is there is "smack self in face icon at all"

I feel like Griff Rhys Jones does it the Not the 9 O'clock news Hi-Fi sketch!

shame on me!

Gmanuk101
03-02-2012, 11:33
Did you read the article in the AoS library about bi-wiring and bi-amping?

I will do now Chris, instead of asking these dumb questions!

Time for a :cool: I think!

Dingdong
03-02-2012, 11:33
:doh:

You mean this one. Most of us have made worse mistakes than that.

The Grand Wazoo
03-02-2012, 11:35
Not to rub it in, but the answer to your actual question:

So, will my speakers acutally benefit from having this gold bar bridging the top two connectors or not?]

.......is: Yes!

will it make the tweater sound any different?

.....Yes!

will it damage the speaker in the long run if I dont use it?

and: No it won't damage it like this.................and there's absolutely no way you're going to wear it out!

Gmanuk101
03-02-2012, 11:55
Not to rub it in, but the answer to your actual question:

.......is: Yes!

.....Yes!

and: No it won't damage it like this.................and there's absolutely no way you're going to wear it out!

Perfect, cheers Chris.... I take it from your "handle" that you will now be having a Burnt Weeney Sandwhich for lunch ;)

RichB
03-02-2012, 12:44
howdy gman, no wonder you were tweaking so if the tweeters werent connected (either by the bridges or otherwise).

You'll notice a world of difference once the bridges are back in, having had MA bookselves myself i can say the tweeters are something else!

Alex_UK
03-02-2012, 18:28
Right - now I just want to check here - there's talk of connecting "the top two connectors" - if you've connected the top two connectors to each other, then you are still at square one... You should have 2 gold bars for each speaker - and you need to connect the black to black and red red on each side, separately - like this:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpcEQEv_-fhUFSIvbzkOgdDGM7MZi5exKnQ4QdNQ70Do2G3ps9

Just checking! ;)

Gmanuk101
04-02-2012, 15:47
Right - now I just want to check here - there's talk of connecting "the top two connectors" - if you've connected the top two connectors to each other, then you are still at square one... You should have 2 gold bars for each speaker - and you need to connect the black to black and red red on each side, separately - like this:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpcEQEv_-fhUFSIvbzkOgdDGM7MZi5exKnQ4QdNQ70Do2G3ps9

Just checking! ;)

sorted now!! have the banana plugs into the lower frequency inputs also... what a bloody difference! electronics from this dummies ;)

Dingdong
04-02-2012, 21:34
Does it all sound a bit clearer now?

Alex_UK
05-02-2012, 22:35
what a bloody difference!

Excellent! We got there in the end - now just enjoy the music! :)

Gmanuk101
06-02-2012, 09:04
to All,

yes it's much much clearer now! thanks to all