PDA

View Full Version : The RB250 and where to start?

northwest
02-02-2012, 18:21
As some of you will have experienced, the Rega 250 arm as fitted to the Planar turntable comes with toytown RCA connectors and the earth down the left channel.
I was thinking of starting down the upgrade path by buying this kit:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300645864466?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Then of course it is the counterweight. As an alternative to the Mitchell counterweight kit I was considering this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120844181394?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I would welcome any suggestions and alternatives before I start parting with cash:) I was also considering maybe attaching a couple of RCA sockets to a bracket on the turntable as an alternative to the five pin mini DIN plug/socket arrangement.
Thoughts anyone?

Darren
02-02-2012, 20:42
You've got biggerballs than I have doing your own rewire but fair play and the kit looks good value.
I've got the technoweight and I have to say that the finish and ease of use far exceeds the one you are looking at.

hifi_dave
02-02-2012, 21:16
Over the years I have seen so many Rega arms f'd up by people and companies re-wiring them. It's not something I would attempt but there are a couple of people who can do the job - Moth Marketing and Audio Origami. They have the necessary tools and skill to do it properly.

As for the c/weight, I think you will find the Michell Tecnoweight is a very good piece of kit.

Canetoad
03-02-2012, 07:25
+1 :)

northwest
03-02-2012, 12:06
Over the years I have seen so many Rega arms f'd up by people and companies re-wiring them. It's not something I would attempt but there are a couple of people who can do the job - Moth Marketing and Audio Origami. They have the necessary tools and skill to do it properly.

As for the c/weight, I think you will find the Michell Tecnoweight is a very good piece of kit.

Dave, you might as well have said "DONT PUSH THE BUTTON" - you just know I will:eyebrows:

Patrick Dixon
03-02-2012, 14:22
When I played with an RB250 a couple of years ago, I tried a replacement stub and counterweight (I used the one that Vic @transfi used to do - don't know if he still does), I replaced the internal wiring (again with wire & tags sourced from Vic), and I replaced the external wiring using Mogami 2549 and Eichmann Bullets.

To my surprise the thing that made the biggest improvement was the external re-wire, although the others were worth doing too.