PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Set up help please?

Gmanuk101
01-02-2012, 13:45
1stly - I apologies to the admin folk if this is in the wrong area.

My current connection set up is the following.

PS3 via HDMI 1.3 to Samsung S650 TV
from TV via optical cable to DAC
from DAC to AMP to Speakers

PS has audio HDMI out selected via it's software, but can be changed to optical.

Now my question is this; is there any benefit from taking an optical cable directly from the PS3 to the DAC, therefore bypassing the TV.

Will it improve on the above set up?

Thanks for your help.

Graeme

p.s the sound I want is two channel not 5.1 or higher at all.

Alex_UK
01-02-2012, 16:09
I doubt you will hear a difference, Graeme - in reality - though in theory it could be an improvement - give it a try, it won't take 2 minutes to change... (I personally would prefer your current approach for ease of use, as presumably you can output any sound through the TV direct to the DAC.)

Richardl
01-02-2012, 18:06
I doubt you will hear a difference, Graeme - in reality - though in theory it could be an improvement - give it a try, it won't take 2 minutes to change... (I personally would prefer your current approach for ease of use, as presumably you can output any sound through the TV direct to the DAC.)

My Dac doesn't work too well with sky TV for some reason, some of the non HD channels work fine, but the HD channels don't.....I've never sussed out why.

jon1
01-02-2012, 20:16
My Dad doesn't work too well with sky TV for some reason, some of the non HD channels work fine, but the HD channels don't.....I've never sussed out why.

I think it is the dolby digital signal:)

jon

Richardl
01-02-2012, 20:41
Not just Dolby digital.....seems to be the same with BBC HD and such like.

Alex_UK
01-02-2012, 21:59
My Dac doesn't work too well with sky TV

My Dad doesn't work too well with sky TV

:scratch:

(I'll have to have a look through the Sky settings to see if I can help with the problem!)

jon1
02-02-2012, 18:34
Not just Dolby digital.....seems to be the same with BBC HD and such like.

richard do you get the DD logo when you switch to bbc hd?:)

jon

Richardl
02-02-2012, 20:05
richard do you get the DD logo when you switch to bbc hd?:)

jon

No it didn't, I actually gave you a bit of false information, I actually tried it by using the digital out on Lexicon processor..........I suppose it's the settings on the Lexicon.

I'll give it another go sometime, I'm not too worried about it, I'm getting a new processor in the next couple of days anyway.