PDA

View Full Version : Need to ask a huge favour (SUT)

Gromit
01-02-2012, 13:02
Guys,

I'm having a bit of a to-do with the 103 Pro I've just bought. The cartridge itself is fantastic - a credit to its previous owner - but I'm just not clicking with it in the way I have with every previous 103 I've owned.

To that end I'm trying to eliminate the cause of its lack of oomph - it sounds fairly bright and peppy, but it also sounds strangled and harsh as though someone's got their hands round the music's throat. I'm reasonably convinced it's down to the std Technics arm (which despite what some say, I still feel it's not overly good with the 103 - passable at best) but am keeping options open as to other causes of dissatisfaction. At the moment, the SAS'd M75 is a long way ahead.

Now, the Claymore has a superb phonostage - on MM (better than a P75 by a fair margin) but its MC stage, whilst fairly quiet, I'm not so sure about. That's what I'd really like to eliminate as being the cause of the above frustration. To that end, would any extremely kind person be willing to lend me a suitable SUT, even just for a couple of days, so that I can either 1. Blame the phonostage (and get that side fixed) or 2. Blame the arm.

2 is going to be difficult to remedy as I simply don't have the cash for what I'd want (Jelco 750). If it is the arm, then it'll be good bye 103 Pro, and the search for a more suitable cartridge will re-commence.

Sincere thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help. :)

chelsea
01-02-2012, 13:15
Are you doing scalford this year richard?

Gromit
01-02-2012, 13:20
Are you doing scalford this year richard?

I am Stu - though not relishing it at the moment tbh as my vinyl rig's sounding pretty poor, hence my keeness to get it singing asap. :scratch:

The digits side is sounding fantastic though...oh the shame. :D

chelsea
01-02-2012, 13:34
Afraid i only have the one i'am using.
But if you don't have any joy your welcome to try mine on the saturday.
I use it with an mc 30 supreme 0.2mv

Marco
01-02-2012, 15:40
Hi Richard,

Sorry to hear of your (I'm sure temporary) vinyl woes... The 103 Pro is a superb cartridge, so there will simply be an issue of synergy which needs addressing.

You can borrow my modded Lentek MC head-amp, no worries, which sonically, matches the 103 superbly. It's a little hissy, when the preamp is up high and there's no music playing, but it doesn't affect the quality of its sonic reproduction, and nor do you hear any hiss when music is playing.

You just plug it into the MM phono stage of your Claymore, like you would an SUT.

PM me your addy, dude, and I'll zip it off to ya on Friday, First Class, (unfortunately out all day tomorrow) :cool:

Marco.

Gromit
01-02-2012, 16:21
That'd be awesome Marco - thanks. :)

Will pm details asap...