PDA

View Full Version : I will have you at hello.

trev76
31-01-2012, 19:50
Hello everyone (see?),

Ok so I'm doing the introduction thing, which you can already tell, I'm not that good at, but I'll give it a shot.

I've been a member of this site for a while, more of a lurker than a poster. I'm fascinated in all things audio related, especially vinyl - not that I find it 'better' than digital or anything (though some records are). I guess with vinyl its more of a ritual, and theres something very odd and wonderful about holding a round disc with sound waves in some form of suspended animation, if that makes any sense.

I'm currently recording an EP of some sort and theres an album thats coming out in June - its all low key stuff but I've done not much else really; Apart from creating music, my only other interest is in other things audio related - too many to mention, but if you have the book Recording The Beatles and treat it as some kind of esoteric text, you get the idea :)

In regards to what music I like, thats a really tough question. Genre-wise, I have no clue. Theres a ton of stuff really, and it depends on the day. Oh actually, I don't quite like country. I don't know why. If I absolutely had to pick one band/artist, no doubt that would be David Bowie. Lately I've been into a 'band' (more of a project?) called Bon Iver. I bought the record not knowing anything about it other than the fact that I liked the cover art. Never did that before - ended up listening to the latest album in its entirety, then feeling really depressed cos I didn't come up with it :)

My set up is a bit weird I guess. Stock (soon to be modded) SL1210MK5 with an Audio-Technica cart, Cambridge Audio 640p phono pre... that goes into a Black Lion modified MOTU audio interface, connected via its PCI card in a Mac Pro with 32GB RAM, 4x 1TB hard drives, running Logic and a bunch of stuff. Theres an assortment of synths and guitars / pedals but thats for another type of forum Im guessing?

In a nutshell, without music, I wouldn't be here.

Did I get everything? Oh yeah - I'm currently residing in Singapore now. But really I'm quite an ok guy. Which is why after 35 years I'll be leaving. I'm sure *thats* for another forum. :)

Cheers everyone!
Trevor

Alex_UK
31-01-2012, 21:53
Hi Trevor and welcome - 2 posts a year is a fairly low average, but this one at least is very good value! ;)

Sounds like you have an interesting "pro" based system - what sort of music do you make?

Hope you enjoy AoS. :)

The Grand Wazoo
31-01-2012, 21:58
Hi Trev'
And it's a warm welcome from me too.

jostber
31-01-2012, 23:49
Welcome! Modding Technics SL1200/1210's has been quite popular here recently. :) I have been a lot to Singapore at work a couple of years ago. Missed my music at home though.

trev76
01-02-2012, 09:18
Thanks! Glad to be part of this community.

Alex_UK: My system is pretty standard - I forgot to mention that my monitors are Dynaudio BM6A's. The music sort of falls some where between David Bowie's "Low" and "The Fragile" by Nine Inch Nails. Its hard describing one's own music I think. I picked the above not because it apes the songs on those albums, but to act as more of a guide to what it *sounds* like; Aside from this one EP we're doing, I've always liked the idea of making albums - approaching the writing that way, rather than to write a bunch of singles and compile tham, if that makes any sense. Also, theres a sort of continuity throughout the album, though I don't think I would call it a pure concept album per se (ex. "The Wall" / "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway", but in a way it sort of is (I know, I'm confusing myself now heheh).

We're uploading the entire EP and a couple of tracks from the full length album in March, so if you're interested you could download them from there for free, in either FLAC or 320 MP3. I do hope to gradually build another system thats just for playback - right now I don't have much of a choice. One good thing with this setup is I can always record LPs at 24bit 96kHz. (or 192kHz but I honestly think its not that much of difference and at the cost of a lot of resources, its just not worth it) I'll then transfer them onto an a external drive (as uncompressed files). But like I said in another post, I like the packaging, the whole ritual of playing a record, so i would gladly listen to the HD transfers, but I'll most likely go back and play the record again anyway - for example, I just acquired an original 1st pressing Japanese copy of "The Yes Album" a few days ago - That record is by far the cleanest, quietest vinyl I've heard, so I immediately did a 24/96 transfer, but I still keep playing the record every time! On somewhat of a tangent, I'm still stumped by why Japanese pressings sound so good. Anyways - thanks again, and yes I will start posting more now :)

josber: I think the first time I ever head of modifying an SL1200 deck to audiophile standards was at KAB, about 4-5 years ago, but at the time it was pretty much all greek to me. Since then I've been learning a lot more - actually, a lot of that knowledge came from you guys and this forum! I've only just recently taken the plunge though. If possible, what I'm looking to do is build a separate system (as I've told Alex_UK), especially now that I have a bit more more time to spare - Although at this very moment I desperately need a counterweight. I would love to have an EMT or one of the more obscure DD broadcast decks - you know, they all look like washing machines or something but I love that aesthetic. May I ask (try frankly) on how you found Singapore when you were there? I have my own (not exactly positive) thoughts, having grown up here but I'm always interested in how others view the place.

Anyway, thank you all again for the warm welcome - very much appreciated indeed!

Alex_UK
01-02-2012, 11:20
We're uploading the entire EP and a couple of tracks from the full length album in March, so if you're interested you could download them from there for free, in either FLAC or 320 MP3.

That would be great - I'm sure we'd all love to have a listen. :) :thumbsup:

jostber
01-02-2012, 12:46
Thanks! Glad to be part of this community.

josber: I think the first time I ever head of modifying an SL1200 deck to audiophile standards was at KAB, about 4-5 years ago, but at the time it was pretty much all greek to me. Since then I've been learning a lot more - actually, a lot of that knowledge came from you guys and this forum! I've only just recently taken the plunge though. If possible, what I'm looking to do is build a separate system (as I've told Alex_UK), especially now that I have a bit more more time to spare - Although at this very moment I desperately need a counterweight. I would love to have an EMT or one of the more obscure DD broadcast decks - you know, they all look like washing machines or something but I love that aesthetic. May I ask (try frankly) on how you found Singapore when you were there? I have my own (not exactly positive) thoughts, having grown up here but I'm always interested in how others view the place.

Anyway, thank you all again for the warm welcome - very much appreciated indeed!

I was working in Singapore much of 2009 to summer 2010 and was quite busy with this project, but had some time to look around and get to know the city as well. Some of the things I liked a lot: Staying at Wang's hotel outside Chinatown, the Crazy Elephant Blues club(was there a lot), Little India's restaurants, the beautiful view at Clarke Quay when it was not to busy, the Arabian quarter, meeting Australians and New Zealanders at the Bungee bar, people I got to know and such. As this is very much a business city with a lot of shopping malls they city, it often appeared too much commercial and a bit slick to me. The focus in downtown is very much on shopping and mundane tourist attractions, while I am more into hot music, well brewed beer and happy people who like a good chat.