PDA

View Full Version : Piano black care

realysm42
30-01-2012, 21:34
Got some speakers badly in need of a dust, I don't want custom etchings in them, can anybody recommend a cloth that will clean and not mark the finish please?

Bluedroog
31-01-2012, 10:27
Personally I like to use those 'microfibre' cloths, they are quite often used to clean stainless-steel kitchen surfaces but I think work well. They're really non-abrasive but really bring up the shine in high gloss finishes without smudging or damaging.

Something likes these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0034BC3KM/ref=asc_df_B0034BC3KM6361669?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B0034BC3KM

Or no doubt the likes of JML or Robert Dyas do them.

realysm42
31-01-2012, 19:57
Cheers, looks good.

northwest
01-02-2012, 02:08
I would also advise the use of a good quality "Car Detailing" wax, Meguires make a good one, cant remember what it's called now (says he, opening up a whole new can of worms).
Helps protect and preserve the finish.

realysm42
01-02-2012, 18:35
Are all piano black finishes created equal? Or do I need to be aware of how mine was created to take particular care of it?

shabby64
01-02-2012, 18:56
First remove as much dust as possible by blowing it off or vacuuming it - without any physical contact.

I scratched my piano-black TV screen surround by using a micro fibre cloth without doing the above!

sq225917
01-02-2012, 19:48
All micro fibre cloths are not made the same either. You want one like a soft napped fleece, not something like an E-cloth that will scratch the shit out of it.

realysm42
01-02-2012, 19:55
I'm actually glad I asked before I've touched them!

Thanks all.

Although, having them on a shitty old wooden desk and dragging them into position probably wasn't my smartest of moves :doh: :doh: :doh:

Atleast I'll never have to look at the base of them...

Bluedroog
01-02-2012, 20:14
As Lol mentions get any dust excess dust of first with a suck or blow, given how vunerable some gloss finishes can be and how much they can show up scratches you'd be surprised how a rougue bit of 'dust' mopped under a cloth of any kind can actually be abrasive it's self.

The Black Adder
03-02-2012, 16:39
My Dali speakers had a really deep shine to them, a real deep laquer and in the instructions for care they suggested a product by 3M to remove any swirls caused by cleaning. They were £7k speakers so I'd imagine it would be the proper stuff.

To be honest though all of these surfaces will eventually get scratched or swirled it's just how it is.

I'll look around and see if I can find the solution 3M make, might be useful for someone here.

bobbasrah
03-02-2012, 17:15
My Dali speakers had a really deep shine to them, a real deep laquer and in the instructions for care they suggested a product by 3M to remove any swirls caused by cleaning. They were £7k speakers so I'd imagine it would be the proper stuff.

To be honest though all of these surfaces will eventually get scratched or swirled it's just how it is.

I'll look around and see if I can find the solution 3M make, might be useful for someone here.

If it has a good clear lacquer coat on it, minor surface scratches can be rubbed out with scratch remover/rubbing compound for cars. Test a small bit on the base to check for any reaction, however unlikely.
A good rub down carnuba wax coat will add an extra layer of protection and can be buffed up a treat.;)

Spectral Morn
03-02-2012, 18:08
Its a combination of the dust and the cloth scratching the finish, not a lot you can really do, it will scratch in time and look like flies have been ice skating on them.

Get as much dust off by blowing and use cotton wool pads (same a woman uses to get make up off) that has a minimal impact but it will still leave some marks.

Regards D S D L

Canetoad
03-02-2012, 19:29
3M used to make a product called Final Glaze, which was a glazing polish designed to be applied after compounding/buffing to remove swirl marks. It's an automotive product but should work on any lacquer surfaces. A good carnauba wax applied after that will protect the surface.

bobbasrah
03-02-2012, 20:45
3M used to make a product called Final Glaze, which was a glazing polish designed to be applied after compounding/buffing to remove swirl marks. It's an automotive product but should work on any lacquer surfaces. A good carnauba wax applied after that will protect the surface.

Good idea Bernie, who would have thought of that :lol: :cool:

Ali Tait
03-02-2012, 22:39
How about car detailing clay? That should remove all the crap from the surface, allowing you to polish with a lint free cloth with the minimum of surface scratches.

Z-A
03-02-2012, 23:40
3m polishes are good but for final finish use Autoglym ultra deep shine from good ol Halfords, it's one of the best superfine polishes available, and I've tried most of them. It will work on all pu/ polyester lacquers. The 3m products are finishing glaze and ultrafina, both good, but 1 litre bottle will last you guys around 368 years if you only use it now and again..