PDA

View Full Version : THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

goraman
30-01-2012, 00:43
I just wanted to thank everyone who helped me through understanding more about my speakers and pointing me in the right direction as I upgraded them.

The Lores are for the most part finished,they are internally at least.
The only thing I am going to do is try some wool felt tweeter diffraction rings.

I rebuilt the x overs on sound dampening board and used Mills resisters and just cleaned up all connections made during the trial and error process.
All the caps are well burned in and the sibilance has gone away so in the end I did not need to shunt the tweeters after all.

I removed the fiberglass directly behind the drivers and replaced it with a product from Dynamat called DynaXorb,they claim it uses technology developed from the stealth projects to break up rear reflections from the driver.
After listening to Sister Rosetta comes before us /Raising Sand.
I believe them the bass is far cleaner and so is voices and other instruments.
I have changed everything but the inductors, even the speaker spikes.

I am so pleased with the end result I could just pee my pants with joy!:lol:

BIG SPECIAL THANKS TO MARK!!!!

Stratmangler
30-01-2012, 01:07
I am so pleased with the end result I could just pee my pants with joy!:lol:

Now some round here might well get great joy from peeing their pants :eek:
Nuff said about that one ;)

I'm pleased that your efforts are being rewarded - it's great when a plan comes together :cool:

goraman
30-01-2012, 03:18
Now some round here might well get great joy from peeing their pants :eek:
Nuff said about that one ;)

I'm pleased that your efforts are being rewarded - it's great when a plan comes together :cool:

Well, great joy or not it dose add warmth!
And yes, it all came together in a lucky sort of way.:cool:

goraman
30-01-2012, 06:37
Anyone here try the wool felt tweeter defraction thingys?

John
30-01-2012, 08:01
Yes I did when I used to have Floor standers
Not the pretest tweak but did help; it took away a bit of harshness and gave a bit more detail

jostber
30-01-2012, 15:44
Those speakers you have in your Avatar looks pretty special, John. What kind of speakers are they?

brian2957
30-01-2012, 16:13
Anyone here try the wool felt tweeter defraction thingys?

Hi Jeff , glad you got your speakers sorted out . I recently refurbished and made a few changes ( fitted Mills resistors ) to a pair of Royd A7s with a lot of help and advice from Mark with fantastic results . He is a true gentleman.
I've used felt tweeter defraction rings and in my case I found it difficult to hear a difference . I may try them on the Royds when they've had some use . Don't push them properly into place at first as they are very difficult to remove . If you decide they aren't for you the double-sided tape can be difficult to get off .
Possible tweeter/cabinet damage here.
Let us know how you get on .
Brian.

goraman
31-01-2012, 01:41
Thanks, I just got the tweet ring thingys ordered today, Wow! prices very from $4.00 a pair to $55.00 a pair all made from wool felt.
The $55.00 ones. http://www.diffractionbegone.com/index.html
I went with the $4.00 ones they are wool to,I asked the manufacture. http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/acoustic-damping/dampers-felt-defraction-ring-for-tweeters/

goraman
02-02-2012, 03:29
I got the deffractors today,They actually did make a subtle difference.
They just seemed to take the edge off and add another layer of detail /texture to the top end.
It's a cheap tweek, well worth the $4.00

Alex_UK
02-02-2012, 22:00
Nice one - Jim Goulding is a member here (http://theartofsound.net/forum/member.php?u=17), so I'm sure he'll be pleased to see your endorsement Jeff. :)

goraman
02-02-2012, 23:59
Nice one - Jim Goulding is a member here (http://theartofsound.net/forum/member.php?u=17), so I'm sure he'll be pleased to see your endorsement Jeff. :)

I didn't use his but if these rings worked this well, his bigger thicker ones wold probably do a lot more.I have to admit I was skeptical but hearing is believing.

I wonder if he dose member discounts?

Alex_UK
03-02-2012, 00:01
I didn't use his

Ah, sorry - reading back I see that now... :doh:

goraman
03-02-2012, 00:13
It's ok,I still posted his link, maybe some one will read this thread and give them a shot.
A constructive comment, maybe he should offer black or white felt, also some different options maybe round that are a little less pricey. The shape makes me think of putting a big felt band-aid over my tweeter. Just a thought.
I'm am sure if anyone tried them they wouldn't remove them band-aid looking or not, as the sonics are worth it.