PDA

View Full Version : John Mellencamp -Scarecrow - Grandma's theme

Haflermicro
29-01-2012, 11:24
Hi!

Sometimes when listening to records, you meet songtitles or textlines, making you want to discover further.
As the internet has become one big allround library, it is now possible to search for almost anything having some results.
You just f.ex. type "Beatles, Yesterday,lyrics,meaning" and countless results will be served.

On the album "Scarecrow" by artist John Mellencamp (very good album), he really digs in to the American roots, singing about the poor farmer, the small sleepy village, the hard worker...etc.
He's not the only artist doing this...nothing new here...but it's nevertheless very intense.
Track no. 2 on this album is Grandma's theme.....an intendedly oldstyle low-quality recording of John Mellecamps Grandma singin' what seems to be a very sad lullaby...the words go:

"Was a dark stormy night
as the train rattled on
all the passengers had gone to bed
except a young man with a baby in his arms
who sat there with a bowed-down head
the innocent one began crying just then
as though its poor heart would break
one angry man said, "make that child stop its noise
for it's keeping all of us awake."

The song ends with Mellencamp fingerplaying the theme on his acoustic guitar before soaring into the very powerful and widely open song "Small Town"

I've always found this small lullaby very melancholic, sad, but very catchy.
Yesterday I went on the internet searching for some additional info on the song...only to find that if this 1st. verse (as it showed to be) was sad and melancholic, the rest of the song is in fact unbearable...and it's like you are almost sitting that night on that train while hearing the song.
It showed to be an old american traditional called "The baggage coach ahead"
written by Gussie L. Davis in 1896:

Have a listen to the versions:

The song as heard on the Scarecrow album - Laura Mellencamp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvWCmw_m89k

A full version recorded by Ernest Thompson in year???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h8PcS6p3kw

I found this song to be a very popular lullaby, sung at the bedside in a lot of american homes through over 100 years...interesting that a parent would sing
such a sad song with the intention of having the child lulled to sleep.

Hmmm.....
That's what you get, when you do research in the music you are listening
to..for many this may be irrelevant, but for me it's like I get something more out of the record the next time I put it on :)

s70rmp
01-02-2012, 17:52
you have made me dig out out my MFSL copy :)

Haflermicro
01-02-2012, 20:24
you have made me dig out out my MFSL copy :)

Well...I think its a nice album...MFSL only makes it better I suppose :-)

s70rmp
01-02-2012, 22:07
it has a deeper sound, well thats the best way I can discribe it.
it's just fuller, I have found that with all the MFSL cds I have