PDA

View Full Version : Couriers and insurance Catch 22

Audioflair
28-01-2012, 17:45
There seems to be a Catch 22 situation when receiving insured goods from the various courier services.
If you don`t notice damage until after a courier leaves, the company can claim you damaged it yourself after they left. If you try to open a package on your doorstep they won`t allow it until you`ve signed for it.:doh:
Anybody know a way around it? Apart from don`t bother insuring...

IHP
28-01-2012, 17:56
My one experience of courier damage with Interparcel didn't reflect this, they were very good and worked things out when I claimed.

IHP
28-01-2012, 17:57
My one experience of courier damage with Interparcel didn't reflect this, they were very good and worked things out when I claimed. I'll add I've used them a lot with no issues otherwise.

anthonyTD
28-01-2012, 18:04
hi,
had this with U*S recently,
A customer of mine here in the uk purchased a piece of my equipment from another customer in Germany, anyway, long story short, the outer casing looked fine on first inspection, so i signed for it and the driver left, however, it was only later on that i had chance to fully unpack the amplifier, well, as you can gather it was not pretty, it had been severely damaged due to a drop from a considerable height, anyway, turns out the courier service in question is now self insureing, so will try any trick in the book to get out of paying out, their latest attempt was to state that first, the customer broke it before it was sent, then they tried to blame me!:steam: The court case is still going on, this is not going to help your case but i hope it will give some food for thought to others who naturaly' and quite rightly think when they pay a reputable courier to pick up and deliver an item, and pay for it to be fully insured, that it will firstly be taken the best of care with, and if not' it will automaticaly be paid for when the damage has been discovered.
Anthony,TD...
PS,
Forgot to add, they called to take it away for damage inspection, so, i repacked it and let them take it to their depot, when it came back, not only was it upside down in its bespoke flight case, but also further damage had been inflicted.:doh:
A...

Dominic Harper
28-01-2012, 18:31
I've had an issue with Royalmail. Same thing the goods were delivered to the customer. You pay an extortinate amount for insurance and then they don't want to pay out when a parcel is delivered and the goods are damaged. Royal mail tried to say the box wasn't damaged. Fortunately, for us they did pay out. I have actually taken a parcel, (a tonearm that had a rewire to be exact) and watched as the driver forced the parcel in his van.

Natalie;)

Jonboy
28-01-2012, 23:55
My one experience of courier damage with Interparcel didn't reflect this, they were very good and worked things out when I claimed. I'll add I've used them a lot with no issues otherwise.

Same here, i sold a of Pair of Audion 300b amps a few years back, they were sent out in thier original packaging and still got damaged, luckily i had taken photos of them all boxed up, they suffered some chassis distortion so we had to get a quote for the repair work which took a bit of time but they paid up after about 2 months and no quibles,

I have also used Shiply for a heavy item i bought, these tend to be owner driver couriers so there is no multiple vehicle swapping which means that it will stay in the same vehicle with the same driver from start to finish

Mr Nad
29-01-2012, 08:16
Write 'goods not checked' when you sign. My brain does this automatically. It's trickier with those electronic signature recorders, but you can still do it, albeit rather more slowly.

Macca
29-01-2012, 09:25
Writing 'not checked' won't get you anywhere. If the courier is any good you will have 1 working day from receipt of the consignment to notify them of damage. If you leave it longer than that to inform them then you will not have a claim regardless of what you wrote on the proof of delivery slip/power pad. If in doubt ask them to e-mail you a copy of their conditions of carriage which should detail exactly what they cover and what you have to do to claim.