PDA

View Full Version : What cables ?

AudioFreak
23-01-2012, 21:20
Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade my cables, both phono and Mains leads. The question is what cables should I go for. I think it would be wise to change the Phono cables first. I was thinking of going for pure silver phono leads, or are there better alternatives.

System so far:
Arcam Alpha 10 & 10P amps - Bi-amping.
Arcam CD82
Cambridge Audio NP30 streamer
Systemdek 11XE 900, Rega 250 - Ingognito rewired, Cambridge Audio 640p, Denon DL160 cart
Linn Keilidh speakers, Chord Rumour Cables
2pr Chord Crimson Plus Cables - Vinyl & CD, Cambridge Audio Pacific Cables - Streamer, Audioquest Turquoise Cables - Amps. Tacima mains block filter. Other than this all mains cords are original.

I know much is system dependent, but any thoughts from people out there would be gratefully received.

Gary.

Bluedroog
23-01-2012, 22:31
Mark Grant seem to be a popular choice.

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_1&products_id=165&zenid=3mgn4dk406cflqs1ph69qbvqi0

Dingdong
23-01-2012, 22:38
I recently got a Mark Grant G1000Hd to go from my cdp to my pre. Was very impressed for the money.
Will buy some more soon.

Welder
23-01-2012, 22:57
Wait!
Now lemme get this clear. Are you after somat to attract wimmin an stuff.....silver is good mind, but diamonds and/or gold prolly works better....or did you want a bit of wire to carry a signal?

For signal carrying the Belkin Pure AV (feckin great long thread about them here somewhere)
are really hard to beat.
Yep, i know they're cheap.
Yep, I know they don't have "audiophile" writ all over them
Yep, i know yer mates will prolly say "WTF did you buy those for"
Yep, I know I'm a pain in the arse ;)

Marco
23-01-2012, 23:52
I've tried both. The Belkins are stupidly good for the money, but to my ears the Mark Grants are notably better, and rather more revealing of what's happening upstream....

If you value transparency the most, then the MGs are the ones to beat, especially when fitted with Neutriks or WBTs :)

Marco.

Welder
24-01-2012, 01:10
Can't really argue having not heard the particular combination Marco has recommended.

What I will say is while the Neutrik pro RCA connectors
http://www.amazon.com/Neutrik-NF2C-B-Profi-Professional-Plug/dp/B0008JIT0Q

are very well made I cant help thinking that if you're going the whole hog one of WBT offerings with a split centre pin and adjustable collet might make more sense than the standard fit connectors made from more exotic materials.

I'm sure Mark Grant would fit whatever connectors you were prepared to pay for which is something you wont get with the Belkin.
As Marco writes, the Belkin are stupid good for the money, if not the last word in the sonic department.

AudioFreak
24-01-2012, 21:31
Thanks for the prompt replies.

I did a quick search for Belkin Pure AV's on the net and could not find out where to buy them and more details. The Mark Grants seem a very well made cable and the price is not ridiculous, ideally not wanting to much more than £100 per set. The longest length I would require would be 1mtr, yet one at .5mtr and at least one at .75mtr, I think it's good to be able to keep the length to a minimum.

I may try one of the Mark Grant cables first to see if they are better than what I have already. Would you say it would be best to try on the CD or record deck first, or the amp to power amp?

Will be good fun testing out...

Thanks,

Gary

Marco
24-01-2012, 21:36
Hi Gary,

What would you say was your main source, your CDP or turntable, or do you use both equally? :)

Marco.

DSJR
24-01-2012, 21:53
With respect fella's, I'm not sure the phono sockets on the Arcams could safely take WBT types, as when those outer collets lock, they LOCK and the slightest pull may well break the sockets Arcam used, as regularly happens with old abused Audiolabs (eh Alex :D).

I too rate the MG HD cables, especially for the 10/10P and 82 CD player. The Neutrik pro plugs ain't cheap, but they're so easy to use with no buzzes or hums and the diameter of the HD cable suits them perfectly IMO......

MartinT
24-01-2012, 22:27
I'd go for the Mark Grants as very capable indeed and revealing even of which plugs you have fitted. Avoid silver unless you have a very, very revealing system without a grain of harshness otherwise you may not like them.

Chivas
24-01-2012, 22:55
+ 1 for Mark Grant - the G2000HD's are the best cables I've heard for real money. The G1000HD's aren't that far behind and a steal for the money.

I agree, stay away from silver unless you like your ears bleeding...

Welder
25-01-2012, 00:09
I seem to diverge from many here and this divergence isn't just because I'm too tight to buy more cable because even if i buy the wire, i terminate them myself.
Basically my rule is only have plugged in what you're using. This includes mains connections
This way you can get away with the minimum cabling and it does wonders for helping to eliminate ground loops.
Yes, you do have to reach behind your kit and move plugs.....ffs, people will be wanting a remote i thingy for that next :doh::D

MartinT
25-01-2012, 07:16
I agree, stay away from silver unless you like your ears bleeding...

Not quite what I meant: silver is good and can be highly transparent, but it's also unforgiving.

Marco
25-01-2012, 09:55
It's silver-plated copper cables that have the tendency to give ear-bleeding results, so tread carefully there.

SOLID SILVER cables are a different ball game altogether, and are mostly as Martin describes, although I would add that they can also sound very smooth in some systems (depending on the type of cable used), sometimes too smooth, which is where pure (very high quality copper) cables can prove better, by injecting more 'life' into proceedings.

There are no 'black & white' facts here, however, so as usual one simply has to suck it and see :)

Marco.

AudioFreak
25-01-2012, 20:25
Hi Gary,

What would you say was your main source, your CDP or turntable, or do you use both equally? :)

Marco.

Hi Marco,

It is pretty even on the main source, maybe slightly in favour of the turntable. I also use the streamer quite often too.

Hi Welder,

I hear what your saying and it makes very logical sense, but I really could not be bothered to scramble around at the back of my rack, to be pulling out cables every time I wanted to listen to another source. Regarding mains, I don't tend to have any problems with buzzing or the like, that I can hear anyway, yet I have heard that some mains cables can be equivalent to an upgrade. Whether that is BS from less than honest people I don't know!

I have heard that pure silver cables can be very revealing, which is why I thought that I would pose the question on here, to get some informative views. It seems that most votes so far go for the Mark Grant cables.

Effem
26-01-2012, 14:16
I have heard that pure silver cables can be very revealing, which is why I thought that I would pose the question on here, to get some informative views. It seems that most votes so far go for the Mark Grant cables.

Silver cables are not at all "revealing" but they are better at not masking proceedings - if that makes any sense :scratch:

Fact number one: There is no such thing as a "sooper dooper" cable, but there are cables that are LESS IMPERFECT than others. Start from the notion qat the base level that a freebie cable isn't up to all that much in sonic terms, so if you install an "upgrade" cable, it is less crap than the one you have just taken out. As you climb the upgrade ladder in the cables world, there is a reasonable chance that it will be less crap than the previous cable and the only clue to which is which, is paying attention to those people who use their ears for listening.

Fact number two: There is no such thing as the perfect cable, as they are all imperfect, so your only choice in the matter is how much imperfection will you tolerate and how much money will you throw at it, balancing out the imperfections for the money you have spent. Shit, that's some radical thinking :eyebrows:

Marco
26-01-2012, 14:32
Aye, Frank, better watch out or all that logic will give you a sore head! :D

Marco.

bobbasrah
26-01-2012, 14:33
Silver cables are not at all "revealing" but they are better at not masking proceedings - if that makes any sense :scratch:

Fact number one: There is no such thing as a "sooper dooper" cable, but there are cables that are LESS IMPERFECT than others. Start from the notion qat the base level that a freebie cable isn't up to all that much in sonic terms, so if you install an "upgrade" cable, it is less crap than the one you have just taken out. As you climb the upgrade ladder in the cables world, there is a reasonable chance that it will be less crap than the previous cable and the only clue to which is which, is paying attention to those people who use their ears for listening.

Fact number two: There is no such thing as the perfect cable, as they are all imperfect, so your only choice in the matter is how much imperfection will you tolerate and how much money will you throw at it, balancing out the imperfections for the money you have spent. Shit, that's some radical thinking :eyebrows:

So a bit like elections then......:mental:

wee tee cee
26-01-2012, 18:25
The Mark Grant cables are lovely and neutral.....There is no annoyance factor. The 1500 is a great level to sample, I have bi-amp cables in that spec and an interconnect- Its one of the few purchases I have no notion to change.
The belkins are great value for money, interconnects/co-ax and the speaker cables.
MG does trade in, 30 day returns.....He even gives a bit of discount when you have bought a number of cables from him.
If you are on the upgrade path, chasing the sound you want MG will help you along...no pressure or sales. Highly recommended.
Tony.

Effem
26-01-2012, 19:24
Aye, Frank, better watch out or all that logic will give you a sore head! :D

Marco.

Yes it did.

I had a lie down.

I feel better now.

Shall not do that again.

:lol:

goraman
28-01-2012, 17:03
I have not heard Mark Grants cables but they look like a class act.
I would far rather support a local small business than the big stores.
I We have a guy like Mark Grant in the U.S. his name is Tom and all my cables where hand made by him in fact I have the very cables in the picture on his web site the La CaCanyas.
If you don't go with Marks' cables these I can speak for personalty.as I have 7 or 8 sets.

http://www.whitezombieaudio.com/

JJack
30-01-2012, 03:05
I have used DH Labs Silver Sonic cables (these are cheap, under 100 USD) with the fancy locking connectors for my phono cables, running into my Arcam 10 integrated, and they're very good.
Don't know if you can get them in the UK, but they're always available on Audiogon.

To respond to another post, the Arcam's inputs are quite sturdy and fully up to these fancy connectors.

goraman
30-01-2012, 03:49
I have used DH Labs Silver Sonic cables (these are cheap, under 100 USD) with the fancy locking connectors for my phono cables, running into my Arcam 10 integrated, and they're very good.
Don't know if you can get them in the UK, but they're always available on Audiogon.

To respond to another post, the Arcam's inputs are quite sturdy and fully up to these fancy connectors.
JJack,
Are you in the U.S. more often than the U.K.?

The Black Adder
31-01-2012, 20:55
Yep.. Mark Grant G2000HD's are soooperb!

I may have a 1M one going spare too!

vouk
26-02-2012, 08:45
Silver cables seem to have gotten a bad rep due to some of the ..let's say..not so well designed/manufactured examples in the market. Properly done, silver can sound as smooth and forgiving as anything out there - the fact that they can be revealing is not necessarily a bad thing. This, at least, has been my experience with the Nordost, Argento and Siltech cables I have used over the years.
I am not familiar with the Mark Grant cables but after a brief look at his website I must say they look particularly tempting and appealing, especially for the price. DH labs indeed deserve consideration, great cables for the money. If you want to try silver, Home Grown Audio and Artisan are worth a look.
Alternatively, how about a silver/gold cable? My personal favorite - combines the best of many worlds. Audio Metallurgy cables (US - through Audiogon auctions) are tried and tested and can be picked up for next to nothing.