PDA

View Full Version : AT-LP 1240 USB Turntable

DSJR
20-01-2012, 10:57
Just been told of a new beefed up AT turntable nothing like the flimsy plastic thingy reviewed in HFW a while ago. I have no idea how good it may sound, but the basic recipe looks good...

Text from the OP on HDD -

"Audio Technica are celebrating their 50thn anniversary with some special products, amonhgst which is the AT-LP 1240 USB.

Forgeting the pros and cons of using vinyl for a moment;

A turntable based on Technics SL-1200, but improved upon in a few key areas, such as heavier, denser cast composite plinth (not plastic like the 1200). Very heavy platter, massive DD quartz locked motor with Robot Wars ammounts of torque, built in phonostage (MM), built-in pre-amp (line level output with sufficient gain for active loudspeakers), built in USB ADC etc.

(For vinyl obsessed tweakers, they can upgrade the arm if they wish, much like on the SL-1200 too)

All this for $529.00. What's not to like!!!"
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/3c216a52.jpg

Any thoughts chaps?

freefallrob
20-01-2012, 11:13
Looks very much like the Numark TT100 I used to have, although that was mostly plastic (a weakness was the plinth) with a big lump of galvanised steel in the bottom for mass.

I bet it will sound punchy and alive.

Marco
20-01-2012, 11:15
Looks great, Dave. Aesthetically, it seems to be based on the Technics MK5G, with its polished 'piano black' finish. Love the rounded corners! :)

However, I must take exception to this piece of hugely misinformed bollocks:

A turntable based on Technics SL-1200, but improved upon in a few key areas, such as heavier, denser cast composite plinth (not plastic like the 1200).

The only bloody plastic on an SL-1200/1210 is the lid!!! Where do people get this UTTER BOBBINS from?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Marco.

Audioman
20-01-2012, 11:43
Looks great, Dave. Aesthetically, it seems to be based on the Technics MK5G, with its polished 'piano black' finish. Love the rounded corners! :)

However, I must take exception to this piece of hugely misinformed bollocks:

The only bloody plastic on an SL-1200/1210 is the lid!!! Where do people get this UTTER BOBBINS from?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Marco.

Think they got confused with AT's own awful Technics clone which appeared heavy due to a metal plate in the bottom. Promising if you can disconnect the inbuilt preamp easily as I doubt this will be great. They have obviously spotted the gap left by the SL 1200's demise. Bet it's made in China rather than Japan.

Review here.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/audio-technica-at-lp1240-usb-pre

Av magazine and they are dismissive of audiophile bling TT's even though I doubt they've listened to one. You can bypass the 'free' electronics apparantly. ( Why USB 1.1 and not 2 - extreme cost cutting or wider compatability ?) Tells you nothing about SQ ! Not available in UK/Europe yet.

Marco
20-01-2012, 11:53
Indeed, Paul. My comments were based purely on how it looks aesthetically on a computer screen, nothing else. As for the plastic bollocks, well, you'd have thought they'd have researched the facts properly before printing such pish!!! :doh:

Sonically, I certainly wouldn't expect it to be any great shakes, although doubtless its sonic performance will be adequate for those who populate its intended target market.

It's a fun idea, reasonably well executed, and ideal for people who want to digitise their vinyl collection and aren't that fussed about obtaining the ultimate in sound quality. Can't see many takers here, but I expect that it will sell well to buyers in the mainstream audio or gadget arena, hence why it's being discussed on HDD Audio ;)

Marco.

Beobloke
20-01-2012, 12:47
Any thoughts chaps?

Meh. Yet another Chi-fi special that will sell well because it lookz wikkid like da Tecnix wot dey don't make no more innit.

Don't expect any sonic fireworks. If its DNA is as close to the old Numark Pro-TT2 I used to own as it looks, however, do expect a stylus that won't stay in the groove at 3g if anyone dances near it when DJing in a room with a slightly wobbly wooden floor(my SL1210 sat beside it was a solid as a rock by the way!).

Buy a secondhand SL1200 or Vestax and a USB phono preamp, would be my advice.

DSJR
20-01-2012, 13:08
I only asked because the platter is supposed to be heavier and the cast base????? isn't plastic and rubber as the techie is - not the top plate which has always been a casting...

No need to bother then, but since I'll probably never go out of my way to see or try one...

Marco
20-01-2012, 13:18
I only asked because the platter is supposed to be heavier and the cast base????? isn't plastic and rubber as the techie is - not the top plate which has always been a casting...

FACT: THERE IS CATEGORICALLY NO PLASTIC USED ANYWHERE IN OR NEAR THE PLINTH OF THE SL-1200!!

Is that clear enough for you? ;)

As for the supposed 'heavier platter', I'd take that with a big pinch of salt. If they can't get their facts right about the base of the SL-1200, why should we believe what they say about the platter on the Audio Technica?? :nono: :nono:

Marco.

Audioman
20-01-2012, 14:01
No doubt it will get a proper review at some point. It may turn out decent but as it's probably made in the same Chinese factory as certain other decks with similar looks actual quality may be variable. The fact that they are charging more than similar Technics clones may indicate more has gone into this. In spite of numbers made the supply of non trashed Technics SL1200's for sale is limited so a new replacement must be of interest if only to DJ's who haven't gone digital. As far as Hi-fi use is concerned at likely UK price it's up against the Rega RP3.

Tea24
20-01-2012, 14:19
Actually I own (do I dare mention this here?:doh:) the previous incarnation ATPL-120, without USB, which I bought purely in order to play 78s through a Graham Slee Jazz Club, with the appropriate styli.

This task it does perfectly well. It is also adequate for playing all those 45s that gather dust around the place.

Lps & more serious stuff? I stick to my Notts Analogue & my Lenco.

It has now been retired to the attic due to the arrival of a re-armed/plinthed Lenco G75, but I won't get rid of it (yet) as, for the price I paid & the job I require it is fine - on a solid surface:ner:. Horses for courses!:D

chris@panteg
20-01-2012, 14:30
I wonder if Dave meant the pocan moulding between the cast top and rubber base?

This is a glass resin of some kind , described by Panasonic as TRNC .

DSJR
20-01-2012, 14:32
Apologies to Marco for daring to suggest that the base of the Techie 1200mk2 onwards had any plastic in it. if it had, I assumed it would be a cover over the rubberised material bonded? to the main cast deck plate.. So now I know - there's no plastic base at all - and this would explain why the transformer had to go on top of the deck plate, along with the electronics. The old models had the transformer well shielded underneath and same with the main board. However, the void in the gap between top plate and base could be an issue.

Marco
20-01-2012, 14:32
I wonder if Dave meant the pocan moulding between the cast top and rubber base?

This is a glass resin of some kind , described by Panasonic as TRNC.

Dunno, but it defo ain't plastic!! :trust:

Marco.

Marco
20-01-2012, 14:36
Apologies to marco for daring to suggest that the base of the Techie 1200mk2 onwards had any plastic in it. if it had, I assumed it would be a cover over the rubberised material bonded? to the main cast deck plate.. So now I know - there's no plastic base at all...

No worries, Dave. You were probably prompted by the ill-informed nonsense perpetrated by the manufacturer of the Audio Technica.

It's amazing how these old wives tales get around, however, if you don't nip them in the bud! ;)

Marco.

DSJR
20-01-2012, 14:54
The text was from an enthusiast trying to spread the vinyl word to people not really "into" vinyl. He almost certainly has recent memories of the plastic bases on earlier Technics models (he had first hand experience of my particular SL1500 for example ;)) and in fairness, probably didn't know how different the "current" one is. I've posted what is hopefully a correction on the thread I nicked the pic and text from, so hopefully no harm done.

chris@panteg
20-01-2012, 14:54
Dunno, but it defo ain't plastic!! :trust:

Marco.

Sorry that should be TNRC

Technics non resonant compound

Marco
20-01-2012, 14:58
The text was from an enthusiast trying to spread the vinyl word to people not really "into" vinyl. He almost certainly has recent memories of the plastic bases on earlier Technics models (he had first hand experience of my particular SL1500 for example ;)) and in fairness, probably didn't know how different the "current" one is.

Ah, you didn't make that clear in your earlier post. I thought you were quoting blurb from the manufacturer selling the Audio Technica!

I've posted what is hopefully a correction on the thread I nicked the pic and text from, so hopefully no harm done.

Linky to the discussion there, please? :)

Marco.

bobbasrah
20-01-2012, 15:14
Sorry that should be TNRC

Technics non resonant compound

It was a variant on SBMC from Sony, a resin based moulding compound, which is classified as a plastic. Sorry... :doh:

Marco
20-01-2012, 15:18
Technically perhaps, but not the el-cheapo plastic we've all come to know and, erm, love! :spew:

And it's not as if its use is for anything of major sonic significance, nor is the base of the plinth made from it.

Marco.

chris@panteg
20-01-2012, 15:42
It was a variant on SBMC from Sony, a resin based moulding compound, which is classified as a plastic. Sorry... :doh:

Goldring used the same material in the 1042 , its a dense and quite heavy material , cold to the touch , I think it's an important part of the1200 !

bobbasrah
20-01-2012, 15:55
Not important....Vital....
Low (Non?) resonant, stiff, heavy, solid, an ideal mouldable plastic for DD.
Seem to remember having a monster like that, cream coloured, a T lever pulled forward to start, back to stop. Can't remember the make now at all. Weighed a Ton.

Marco
20-01-2012, 18:48
OK, I get it - the posh plastic on the Techy is the reason why it sounds so good. Lesson learned, job done! :lol:

Marco.

bobbasrah
20-01-2012, 19:00
OK, I get it - the posh plastic on the Techy is the reason why it sounds so good. Lesson learned, job done! :lol:

Marco.

:lol: Posh now is it..... Not quite so loud a retraction as post 8 :eyebrows:

Finally figured out that it was the Kenwood KD550 that I had way back, which had some form of limestone in the PLASTIC binder. Very underrated deck as most DDs were in those Linn with everything days....:rolleyes:

DSJR
20-01-2012, 23:47
The KD550 was well respected by those that knew it, but it was gone in the blink of an eye, like many other great Japanese products

Marco
20-01-2012, 23:53
Where's that link to the discussion on HDD, daftee? I tried to find it, but couldn't. I want to see what's been written! ;)

Marco.

Dingdong
21-01-2012, 09:04
I think the deck has potential. If you replaced the feet, platter, arm, power supply and experimented with different mats you might have a half decent sounding tt.

Now where did I put me coat?

bobbasrah
21-01-2012, 09:53
I think the deck has potential. If you replaced the feet, platter, arm, power supply and experimented with different mats you might have a half decent sounding tt.

Now where did I put me coat?

Sounds like the Techy mods in every way then? :eyebrows: Presumably the bearing change is not required though.:doh:
Your coat is lying next to the conclusion that was jumped to....:scratch: Agreed that it is highly unlikely to be a shockingly high quality rig, but as nobody appears to have heard it, prejudice is all that can called on at the moment.:mental:

DSJR
21-01-2012, 12:44
Where's that link to the discussion on HDD, daftee? I tried to find it, but couldn't. I want to see what's been written! ;)

Marco.

You really want to go there????? ;)

http://hddaudio.net/viewtopic.php?id=4675

Macca
21-01-2012, 12:52
Link goes to a dead page Dave? It is a great looking deck, but of course we don't listen with our eyes...

Marco
21-01-2012, 13:11
Yup, how strange - it doesn't seem to exist now... Perhaps, Dave, you could find out why? :)

Marco.

Macca
21-01-2012, 13:20
Yup, how strange - it doesn't seem to exist now... Perhaps, Dave, you could find out why? :)

Marco.

They heard that you were coming along and scarpered mate :lol:

Darren
21-01-2012, 13:37
Goldring used the same material in the 1042 , its a dense and quite heavy material , cold to the touch , I think it's an important part of the1200 !

Let's cut through the shit. I owned a 1042. It was plastic. So a big chunk of the much lauded 'techie' is plastic. Frankly, I'm shocked. How very 1974. :)

Macca
21-01-2012, 13:54
WEll looking at my sl1200 the top bit is some sort of solid compound material, it is quite colds to the touch anyway, and the bottom bit is covered in a rubbery compound that is quite hard but has a tiny bit of give in it. I don't know what is under that, if anythign but form the weight of the thing even without platter I would guess it is not plastic in the commonly accepted meaning of the word anyway.

The on/off switch is plastic though. I'm certain of that;)

chris@panteg
21-01-2012, 14:17
Let's cut through the shit. I owned a 1042. It was plastic. So a big chunk of the much lauded 'techie' is plastic. Frankly, I'm shocked. How very 1974. :)

Glass mixed with some plastic + something else only Panasonic know !

It's called Pocan , so steady on me old China plate .

chris@panteg
21-01-2012, 14:21
WEll looking at my sl1200 the top bit is some sort of solid compound material, it is quite colds to the touch anyway, and the bottom bit is covered in a rubbery compound that is quite hard but has a tiny bit of give in it. I don't know what is under that, if anythign but form the weight of the thing even without platter I would guess it is not plastic in the commonly accepted meaning of the word anyway.

The on/off switch is plastic though. I'm certain of that;)

Hi Martin

The top is a cast alloy , middle bit is pocan , bottom bit is rubber.

DSJR
21-01-2012, 17:21

Marco.

It's still there Marco and all, but I think you have to sign in to see it. I believe in fairness, it was an attempt to bring about a certain amount of privacy to casual snoopers if domestic pictures were shown, if you know what I mean.. I believe Alex now has access and he may be able to save the thread page and import it privately across to you - apologies, I don't know how to...

Marco
21-01-2012, 19:24

I think you need to read things properly, Darren!

Have you ever lifted or used an SL-1200 or 1210? Trust me, the last thing you think of is 'oh there must be lots of plastic in this!' ;)

Marco.

Marco
21-01-2012, 19:27
It's still there Marco and all, but I think you have to sign in to see it. I believe in fairness, it was an attempt to bring about a certain amount of privacy to casual snoopers if domestic pictures were shown, if you know what I mean..

Sounds a bit like closed-shop paranoia to me, Dave. Perish the thought that we'd entertain such bollocks on AoS!

I believe Alex now has access and he may be able to save the thread page and import it privately across to you - apologies, I don't know how to...

That would be nice if Alex could do that :)

Marco.

DSJR
21-01-2012, 20:00
Don't get me started Marco - you don't know the half of it :(

Marco
21-01-2012, 20:05
Lol... Well, for me, a forum should never have its contents hidden to non-members, otherwise it's effectively just a gang hut for an accepted clique, and will never amount to anything!

Marco.

Darren
21-01-2012, 20:17
I think you need to read things properly, Darren!

Have you ever lifted or used an SL-1200 or 1210? Trust me, the last thing you think of is 'oh there must be lots of plastic in this!' ;)

Marco.

I'm not interested in the facts. I'm taking the piss here and the facts have little baring on the situation.

Marco
21-01-2012, 20:18
Oh well, in that case, carry on! :lolsign:

Marco.

morris_minor
25-01-2012, 08:18
Different tonearm, and branding, but is this the same?

http://www.djdeals.co.uk/prod-images/Stanton-STR8150-main.jpg

The Grand Wazoo
25-01-2012, 08:55
Different arms but with identical headshells, though.
A dead straight tonearm, with no headshell offset........is this a good thing?

Marco
25-01-2012, 09:42
Different tonearm, and branding, but is this the same?

http://www.djdeals.co.uk/prod-images/Stanton-STR8150-main.jpg

Short answer? NO (nothing like it)!

:)

Marco.

MartinT
25-01-2012, 09:47
Those arms are hilarious; enormous tracking angle error, just 'cos it looks cool?

:spew:

Beobloke
25-01-2012, 10:32
Those arms are hilarious; enormous tracking angle error, just 'cos it looks cool?

:spew:

No it's not just because it looks cool - it was first implemented by Vestax for 'scratch' use and has some genuine engineering thought behind it. I'm sure I've been through it before on here but can run through it again if anyone cares...

And yes, I'm pretty sure the Stanton does hail from the same factory as the AT.

Marco
25-01-2012, 10:52
What you have to remember with all these SL-1200/1210 lookalikes, is that, yes, that's right, they only LOOK like them! ;)

And the reason that they were made to look like them is because the Techy was always seen by DJs are 'the one' to have, so others emulated that look.

The fact, however, is that the SL-1200/1210 was the ONLY 'DJ deck' that was originally built as an audiophile turntable... Always keep that at the front of your mind when analysing inferior imitations.

Marco.

MartinT
25-01-2012, 12:01
it was first implemented by Vestax for 'scratch' use and has some genuine engineering thought behind it.

Ah, good to know, Adam. Could you please point me to where it was previously discussed, so that I understand what they're for?

Beobloke
25-01-2012, 13:01
It'll probably take me longer to try and find it than re-type it, so here goes!

Basically, the offset arm of a conventional turntable results in an inward pull on the stylus, which we all counteract using our bias controls. All well and good.

Now put yourself briefly in the shoes of a DJ/turntablist who uses his deck for scratching - as the platter is manipulated by hand and goes into reverse, the arm now wants to naturally move outwards and suddenly that previously helpful bias is pushing in the same direction, making it highly likely that the stylus jumps out of the groove unless a shedload of tracking weight is applied.

Now consider the shorter, straight arm. At the beginning of the record, the motion of the platter pulls it inwards, whilst because of its geometry, as you get closer to the middle of the record, the same motion pushes it back outwards. Consequently there is a section in the middle of the record where there is no net force. Plonk one of these arms on the edge of a smooth record and you'll find that it will move to the centre of the playing surface and stay there, whereas a conventional offset arm will skate all the way to the middle.

If the DJ/turntablist ensures that his short straight arm is sat in this area, then as he works the platter back and forth, there is no net force on the arm either way and it stays put in the groove. Consequently, it's important to remember that these decks were designed for scratching, not conventional DJ-ing or record play.

Interestingly, however, playing records using a decent example of one of these decks is unlikely to be a complete disaster - as long as a spherical stylus is used at its correct playing weight then no groove damage is likely to occur and they can sound surprisingly good. Comparing two identical Vestax decks, one with an S-shaped arm and one with the short, straight ASTS arm, I felt that the short armed deck sounded more dynamic and crisper. Of course the shorter arm will have a lower mass and a different resonant behaviour, which actually may be a small advantage that will at least partially offset the extra tracking error. That said, channel balance and stereo imagery gets a bit odd right in the centre of the record!

MartinT
25-01-2012, 13:13
Thanks for that, Adam.

ComradeSaigon
25-01-2012, 21:57
Hi All,
what the layout inside it's very similar to Technics sl1200? Can you go upgrade that machine with all today available upgrades (i.e bearing, platter, armbroad) like Technics' itself? Thanks for filling in.

WOStantonCS100
25-01-2012, 23:21
...In spite of numbers made the supply of non trashed Technics SL1200's for sale is limited...

That has not been my experience at all. Those numbers would be in the millions. I have to remind myself not to buy anymore 1200's. Between e$ay, craigslist, etc. they fall out of the sky daily and very few are truly trashed. The ones that are truly trashed almost always have a fully working motor drive; everything else can be replaced, plinths powder coated (or sprayed if desparate).

Smoker
26-01-2012, 01:11
all the djs ive seen scratch cant survive without the bluetac and penny :eyebrows:

richard l martin
26-02-2013, 15:56
hello. i have a citronic pd45 wich is just the same. it is not a technics clone, it looks nothing like a technics and its controls are completely different. i really don't know why people keep comparing these to the technics 1200 series. all i can say is that mine fitted with an at95 and hyper elliptical stylus sounds very good. it tracks great right to the end of the record and produces no igd. the plinth is all metal and rubber and has no serious resonance issues. it is a dj turntable that unintentionally makes a good inexpensive hi-fi turntable. i originally got it to play 45s 12 inch singles etc as with my rega p2 its a pain. removing the platter etc. i did not expect it to sound as good as it does and i am retiring the rega and may sell it. i can not compair its sound to that of an sl 1200 because i have never heard a 1200 and unlike a lot of people i do not make assumptions about something that i have not heard and have no experience of and besides its not trying to be an sl1200. if you want an sl1200 then you must buy an sl1200! kind regards all Richard.

MartinT
26-02-2013, 19:17
You must admit, though, that the design elements and control positions are taken straight from the Technics. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that.

Audioman
26-02-2013, 23:16
This TT is available under a number of badges with minor differences. Known as the super OEM TT by DJs apparently. Don't know if the AT version has any significant improvements. Would have thought there is an opportunity for a modding industry similar to the Technics. These are taking over the role of the SL1200. Having seen and not heard i would say build and finish is at least on a par with the Technics SL1200.

wgCJM3bCoJg

MartinT
27-02-2013, 07:25
Looks nice. There could be a whole new world of low cost modding opportunities now that the Technics is out of production. The first thing I'd do is ditch the USB output and take the signal cable from the arm to a decent phono stage.

synsei
27-02-2013, 07:55
In the beginning there were many naysayers who poopoo'd the idea that the Techie could be turned into a graceful Swan, and the many Techie evangelists who thought otherwise smote at them with fiery wrath. It is entirely possible that the AT-LP 1240 maybe equally deserving of such heavenly intervention... :D

Beobloke
27-02-2013, 08:31
I must say that re-visiting this thread after seeing under the platter of an AT-LP1240USB, I have to take back my comments on Page 1. The deck actually looks intriguing, although I suspect the arm still won't be up to much.

Oh and there will be one of those nasty Vestax DJ thingies with the evil short, straight arm playing in my room at Scalford Hall this year, for anyone who'd like to hear it!

synsei
27-02-2013, 08:40
I find it intriguing listening to and reading about what people are saying in some influential circles about this AT TT Adam, namely that it is better than the sum of its parts, and that the bearing and arm could be improved. Sound familiar?

Audioman
27-02-2013, 13:32
I suspect under the skin the Vestax and AT use the same motor and electronic controls. The arm on the AT looks very solid in the flesh and may be better than the Techie one. All these brands with different plinth/arm variations at least are likely made in the same Chinese factory. The AT appears to be a classier version with possibly some changes that will improve sound?

Beobloke
27-02-2013, 15:40
I suspect under the skin the Vestax and AT use the same motor and electronic controls.

They don't. All Audio Technica ones up to this point, plus the others like Stanton, Reloop, KAM, Numark etc. are pretty much based around the same design and are a generic Chinese product tweaked slightly - see here: http://www.hanpin.com.tw/4_Products_02.html

The new AT is different as it appears to use what is effectively a Technics motor - certainly if you peek under the platter of one, it appears identical.

Vestax's motor and control circuitry is proprietary and their latest variants for the last few years are digitally controlled by a 32-bit CPU. Admittedly, they are now made in China but by whom I do not know. As an aside, I still cannot fathom why no hi-fi turntable manufacturers have approached Vestax to use their motor - I'd have been banging on their door long ago. Who knows, maybe they did and said no!

synsei
27-02-2013, 15:43
Vestax's motor and control circuitry is proprietary and their latest variants for the last few years are digitally controlled by a 32-bit CPU. Admittedly, they are now made in China but by whom I do not know. As an aside, I still cannot fathom why no hi-fi turntable manufacturers have approached Vestax to use their motor - I'd have been banging on their door long ago. Who knows, maybe they did and said no!

Seeing as Mike New was knocked back when he requested drawings of the unit I think that is highly likely Adam.

richard l martin
27-02-2013, 16:50
hello all. i read in this discusion about ditching the usb and i think in so doing(removing it altogether) would defiantly improve things. fortunately mine does not have usb but it does have a built in and not very good phono stage that i would like removed. this is a good sounding table and appears to be well made for the money but i would be rather surprised if it is as good as the much more expensive technics sl1200 series but as i said i have no experience of the technics. it would be nice to see some mods for the super oem`s. kind regards all. Richard

richard l martin
27-02-2013, 17:02
You must admit, though, that the design elements and control positions are taken straight from the Technics. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that.

well ok then there are similarities and yes what you say about imitation is true. the only turntable that does look just like the technics is the audio technica atlp 120 and i had one and it was pretty bad in several ways. motor noise,resonance and terrible humming. sent it back. it really was an awful tt.:doh:

richard l martin
27-02-2013, 19:18
hi, me again. would just like to say- as i previously mentioned there are several super oem including the audio technica. all the same (hanpin) but all different prices. the audio technica is by far the most expensive and all you get for youre extra dosh is a gloss black finish and the unnecessary usb. i payed just £200 new for my citronic pd45 ultima. i think that is a fair price for these and don't see how audio technica can justify there high price. and they all including mine use the same 16 pole motor. like i said all the same. kind regards all. Richard.

Audioman
27-02-2013, 21:00
Thanks Richard. At £200 that makes something viable for modification. Does the Citronic still contain the cheapo phono stage and can it be bypassed as standard? How do you rate the sound quality?

synsei
27-02-2013, 21:41
Although the chap in this clip explains stuff in very simple terms the video show's off the Citronics features quite well.

CNxiWJkC_fM

richard l martin
28-02-2013, 16:45
Thanks Richard. At £200 that makes something viable for modification. Does the Citronic still contain the cheapo phono stage and can it be bypassed as standard? How do you rate the sound quality?

hi there. yes it has a not great phono stage that can be bypassed. i would like to remove mine altogether. mine has an audio technica at95 with a hyper elliptical stylus. it sounds very good and tracks very well indeed. in terms of sonic performance it comes very close to my rega planer 2/rb 250/super bias. would be nice to upgrade this thing! kind regards.:D