PDA

View Full Version : Using a Tape Deck as a DAC?

sparrow
19-01-2012, 16:40
I have an old but still working Technics cassette deck..I was wondering if it would be benificial using it as a DAC..I read somewhere this can be done while the tape deck is on Record/Pause. I haven't tried it yet so would it make a difference??..I'm using a NAD bee 515 cd player ..

Alex_UK
19-01-2012, 16:48
I have an old but still working Technics cassette deck..I was wondering if it would be benificial using it as a DAC..I read somewhere this can be done while the tape deck is on Record/Pause. I haven't tried it yet so would it make a difference??..I'm using a NAD bee 515 cd player ..

Only if it is a DIGITAL cassette deck - DCC/DAT or Minidisc player maybe - assuming it is one of these? If it is just a normal cassette deck, then there ain't no DAC in there I'm afraid! ;)

Beechwoods
19-01-2012, 16:50
Technics did a cassette deck with integrated DAC. Can't remember the model off the top of my head though! It's mentioned somewhere on here if I remember correctly. I think Alex Nikitin had one.

My bad, it was an Aiwa XKS9000. I'm not sure if anyone else actually tried to combine an integrated DAC with a cassette deck.

I'm guessing the OP was thinking about Digital Compact Cassette (DCC) - Philips' answer to Sony's DAT.

sparrow
19-01-2012, 17:43
Thanks for the replys saved me a wee bit of unplugging and plugging...:lol:

technobear
19-01-2012, 20:58
This can be done with minidisk decks and the better ones make quite reasonable DACs.

It can't be done with cassette decks - with the exception of the one Nick mentioned (which I had never heard of before now)

Batty
21-01-2012, 01:35
I did use my Denon DRM 1000 minidisk player as a DAC for a while, not a bad solution.

Roy S
21-01-2012, 01:41

I just bought one of those cd players John, playing it through the digital co-ax input on a Sony STR-DA1200ES and it doesn't sound half bad.