PDA

View Full Version : Album Club: 17.01.2012: These New Puritans - Hidden (2010)

colinB
17-01-2012, 21:09
These New Puritans - Hidden (2010)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515EGDAPp3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://open.spotify.com/album/1zS3Iy1mSgGMllQSIEsc9D

Hi everyone. Sorry ive been absent. Few ups and downs recently.
I was going to go for a classic album but this little gem came out a year ago and gave me hope that young people can put together some great original compositions that have some depth. Its a bit different with brass bands and Dubstep and great beats. Hope you like it. Thanks to Alex for bringing me back in the AOS family fold. Hope my link works.

Alex_UK
17-01-2012, 21:27
Hi Colin, I'm away at the moment, so unable to listen on Spotify, but I will check it out as soon as I get back home.

In the meantime, thanks for posting it up, and hope life is a little kinder to you from now on - I always used to like the quote "life's a bitch, and then you die... or else you marry one" - but that's a bit crap really, isn't it?! I think these days I prefer "Life's what you make it" - so good luck to you matey. :)

colinB
17-01-2012, 21:39
Cheers Alex. Big life shake up recently , lost my big listening room and back to student days sharing. Having fun tonight though with my Nepalese house mates.
Nice cognac tonight, good movie and some organic Nepalese smoking mixture thats put a smile on my miserable scotch mush. Cheers everyone. ;)

Alex_UK
17-01-2012, 21:45
Sounds like a GREAT evening! ;)

keiths
17-01-2012, 21:53
Hope things continue to improve Colin.

The spotify link should be http://open.spotify.com/album/1zS3Iy1mSgGMllQSIEsc9D - the beginning of your link looks like it got a bit messed up.

The album title is These New Puritans - Hidden (2010)

New to me - I'm looking forward to listening to it Colin.

colinB
18-01-2012, 08:44
Hope things continue to improve Colin.

The spotify link should be http://open.spotify.com/album/1zS3Iy1mSgGMllQSIEsc9D - the beginning of your link looks like it got a bit messed up.

The album title is These New Puritans - Hidden (2010)

New to me - I'm looking forward to listening to it Colin.

Thanks for that. Bit to much rum last night.

aquapiranha
18-01-2012, 20:43
I have had a listen to this today, and I think it is very good. Not too raucous and not too chilled, just right!

I will have to get this, thanks for posting it Colin! :)

colinB
19-01-2012, 09:08
Glad you like it Steve.

Bazil
19-01-2012, 12:17
I'm struggling with this a bit, but I like to give albums a fair chance so won't vote just yet.

Alex_UK
19-01-2012, 12:31
Had one listen last night quietly - I'll give it a louder spin this afternoon, but I thought it had potential last night - some very interesting drums and percussion in particular.

keiths
19-01-2012, 19:25
I'm struggling with this a bit, but I like to give albums a fair chance so won't vote just yet.

I must admit that I'm the same - but I never vote until I've heard the album at least twice, so there's still hope yet!

Pete The Cat
22-01-2012, 10:44
This is one of those albums where I can't decide whether it's magnificent or it's horribly over-rated.

On a bad day I get visions of some 1980s BBC2 arts programme in which this is the soundtrack to a modern ballet about life in an industrial town (don't ask me why !) - a bundle of random tribal drumming, brass, choral and woodwind. All very worthy but...

On a good day it's rich, varied and suitably challenging, and should be applauded for not coming from an obvious pigeonhole.

Still can't decide which mind :scratch:

Pete

The Grand Wazoo
23-01-2012, 21:15
I kind of agree with Pete's assessment of this. This probably means I need to play it a few more times.
Some of it seems a little awkward in that, at times, a track could almost be badly stitched together from two completely different ones, but at other times the effect is the total opposite(such as some of the woodwind sections).
What I can hear (even through Spotify) is some well recorded drums and maybe even (dare I say it) a very slight FZ/MOI influence?

A somewhat tentative 6/10 from me.

keiths
23-01-2012, 21:55
In the end I could only give it 5 out of 10. Maybe with a few more listens it might grow on me more.

Alex_UK
23-01-2012, 22:00
I played it again, twice - still not sure, either! At the moment it gets a 7, but that could go up or down a notch or two on further listens... The point is, unlike some of the other Album Club weeks, I want to listen again... :)

Bazil
25-01-2012, 13:34
I have now given this album enough plays to rate and I'm afraid its only a 4 from me.
I find it interesting to start with but it quickly becomes tedious and ends up like I'm wading through thick mud. :(

Welder
28-01-2012, 00:55
Quite interesting but I found it a bit repetitive after a while.
I like the use of brass, well i would, but the whole concept gets lost imo.
I wouldn't buy this. I would listen to it again though.
Just under halfway I think.

Alex_UK
28-01-2012, 10:43
Played it again this morning - I really like it - the drums/percussion is really imaginative and different from any formula - 7 out of 10 for me.

MartinT
09-11-2012, 14:41
Kinda Kodo meets synth noodlings. Overall it wouldn't be my choice of music so it gets 4/10. Great to hear such variety of styles being suggested in Album Club, though.