PDA

View Full Version : Interest Check - Thorens TD160 mkII & SME III

synsei
17-01-2012, 13:32
THORENS TD160B mkII / SME Series III Arm

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Hifi%20Stuff/AoSComp1-1.jpg

I will shortly be sampling the delights of a Technics SL1210 which will be on loan to me with an option to buy from this weekend. If I like what the Techy does in my system then the Thoren's will be up for grabs. It is in super condition and I think it looks particularly smart dressed in its arctic white Bob Bean top plate. I am willing to remove the SME if it is not wanted although I would prefer it to go complete. The Goldring G900IGC seen in the pics is not included in the sale. I will also supply a custom 20 mm thick granite base with the unit but again, not the one shown here. The version I'll be supplying is fitted with standard rubber equipment feet. The lid is in fairly good nick with no cracks, although there is a very slight chip in the acrylic on the front edge. There are the usual polishing swirls associated with age.

This really is an excellent example of a TD160B mkII and they are rarely offered in such good condition. I replaced the drive belt last November and I also thoroughly cleaned the bearing and replaced the oil using one of Audio Origami's superb service kits. The SME III is an excellent match for this deck and it sounds fabulous with the Goldring. My cart advice would be to source and fit a Shure V15 or perhaps an Audio Technica AT440mla as both these carts should work well in the arm.

I'm not sure of it's value but I'm open to offers... ;)

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the Thorens will be supplied with a hybrid cork turntable mat as seen below:

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Hifi%20Stuff/Spindleshot.jpg

DSJR
17-01-2012, 16:58
Where did you get the white top plate from guv'nor?

synsei
17-01-2012, 17:03
It came with the deck your honour :)

bobbasrah
17-01-2012, 17:11
Cheers Dave, makes the deck look very different to the bog standard Thorens finish. Must be fairly thin stuff similar to the original Thorens, but looks nice....

synsei
17-01-2012, 17:23
Thanks Bob. The top plate is made of 3mm thick acrylic sheet and I suspect the colour is down to a thin laminate bonded to the bottom of the base plate. I feel it really lifts the aesthetics of the deck giving the whole a much more contemporary look. ;)

synsei
17-01-2012, 23:12
Provisionally sold... :)

synsei
24-01-2012, 18:02
Due to a change of heart by its potential buyer who has decided to buy a Techy instead, the Thorens is back up for grabs. ;)

ledzep
24-01-2012, 19:41
I really like this deck!!

synsei
31-01-2012, 11:44
Seeing as asking for 'offers' can occasionally induce terminal brainfreeze lets say £300ono ;)

Jason P
02-02-2012, 18:17
Oooh nice. How does this compare to the Techy? Might be interested in a change myself.

synsei
02-02-2012, 20:17
Hi Jason,

With the same arm and cart combo somewhat more fluid. It doesn't have the SL's immediacy or slightly forward presentation but it is very musical. If I had the room and wasn't needing the funds I'd keep it for sure ;)

I will say Jason that I am loathe to ship it. I don't have a suitable box first and formost and due to my health and lack of transport it would be difficult to source one, so it would need to be picked up :eyebrows:

synsei
07-02-2012, 22:43
bump :)

synsei
14-02-2012, 09:55
Sold...