PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge ideas...

Gromit
14-01-2012, 21:43
Ok people - here's the brief:

1. Moving coil cartridge (low or high o/p)
2. Up to a maximum £275 budget
3. Not too bass-heavy nor excessively bright ('even-handed' is probably as good as a description in other words!). :D

Reason for this is that I really fancy having a 2nd (or 1st) cartridge and, well, just for the hell of it really. I've detachable h/s arm so let's make use of that facility. :)

I've a few ideas whizzing around, don't know if anyone have experience of these:

Ortofon Rondo Red (couple on eBay at the moment marked as new but reduced to within my budget)
Ortofon Vivo Blue*
Benz Micro Gold
AT-F7**

*I see these are being reduced in various places, therefore wondering if Ortofon are updating the model. Reason I'm asking is some have a black 'face' plate with Vivo 'R' in gold - others have the same name but with a coloured face relating to their model designation.

**Think this may fit the bass-light description but reckon it'll be a little bright & breezy for my system.

Of course I could go for my umpteenth 103 (a cartridge I love) but because it has a good & fruity bottom it's unlikely it'll presently match my rig. This cartridge has to be a quick & numble little number for what I'm listening to mostly these days ie large scale orchestral stuff.

Thanks for any pointers, or shared experience of the above little beasties. :)

Mike g
14-01-2012, 21:55
Dynavector 10x5? (for another £20)

Gromit
14-01-2012, 22:21
Dynavector 10x5? (for another £20)

Aha! Thanks Mike - dunno how that slipped through the options net! :doh:

Heard a 10X on a few occasions and always quite liked what it did, in fact (showing my age here) I remember hearing its first incarnation, in the then brand new Linn Basik LVX (which had just been released) when it was known as the Ultimo 10X.

I have heard some good things about the Ortofon Vivo's too, and I quite like what Ortofon MC's do - although I've never been a massive fan of the Kontras for some strange reason (maybe just the wrong time/wrong system). Had an MC15 Super (Mk1 - the better one apparently) which was quite a fun thing to listen to.

vouk
15-01-2012, 18:01
The Dynavector or the Rondo would be solid choices; not a big fan of the Vivo which is a bit too much on the clinical side of things sound wise.
I've owned both the Benz Gold and Silver models and, personally I prefer the Silver (by far). Its sound would be very close to what you are looking for.
By the way, would you consider getting a second-hand cartridge? I've seen some very tasty ones (ie Lyra Dorian and a few Grado's) on offer around your budget.

Gromit
15-01-2012, 18:14
The Dynavector or the Rondo would be solid choices; not a big fan of the Vivo which is a bit too much on the clinical side of things sound wise.
I've owned both the Benz Gold and Silver models and, personally I prefer the Silver (by far). Its sound would be very close to what you are looking for.
By the way, would you consider getting a second-hand cartridge? I've seen some very tasty ones (ie Lyra Dorian and a few Grado's) on offer around your budget.

Hi John - that's interesting re the Vivo's and thanks for your thoughts. I have heard that they're effectively replacements for the old MC10/MC15 Super which one would have that, with them both being quite perky sounding devices (I used to have an MC15 Super) the new ones would carry on in this fashion - perhaps not then? I don't really want clinical - something well-rounded would match with my kit at the moment, with a clean top end (the Royds aren't always the most subtle in this dept!). :D

I'd be happy with a used cartridge, as long as it's from a reliable source. Nick at the Emporium (who often comes recommended) has a used Rondo Red at a reasonable price off new - may be worth a chance?

Interesting ref your description of the Silver vs Gold Benzes - one would normally expect the lower output version to be the one ahead, perhaps this is one of those rare occasions when it isn't. :)

Marco
15-01-2012, 18:19
Hi Richard,

From your brief, and given the fact that you love the 103 (and trust me, I *know* why), you should bag a 103Pro. Due to the expert tweaking by Highphonic (with its extended high-frequency response and lower operating VTF), the Pro has a lighter, 'breezier' presentation, but still with a firm, rhythmic bass and all that 103 organic sounding lurveliness you so dig!

Honestly, it'll be the perfect cartridge for you, and I predict would be a keeper, (scroll down for the 103Pro):

http://www.eifl.co.jp/index/export/export2.htm

It's listed at $397, delivered. That's £260 at today's exchange rate. I've used Eifl in Japan many times and can highly recommend them :cool:

Marco.

Gromit
15-01-2012, 19:58
Aha! Thanks Marco - can't believe I didn't think of that! :doh:

A friend of mine has just been in touch (someone I got into 103's several years ago - he runs an SA now, and it sound fabulous) and will let me have a lend of his 103R so we'll get a round-about idea of how well it'll work in my rig. If that sounds ok balance-wise I think it may well be worth looking a lot more closely at the Pro. :)

vouk
16-01-2012, 10:27
Hi Richard,

Obviously it all goes down to personal taste and I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that will disagree with me; but, to me, the Benz Silver sounded more rounded and better balanced than the Benz Gold - albeit at the expense of a bit of top end detail retrieval. The Vivo just did not sound right in my system - the Rondo, on the other hand is an exceptional cartridge for the money. Sound wise, it reminded me (a lot) of the Ortofon Rohmann I used to have and, considering the price difference, that is no mean feat. If you go down the second hand route, maybe even the Rondo Blue might be an option.

As another suggestion, I would also recommend the Grado's (Ref series). They have an enviable combination of talents and virtues, few weaknesses, and are a remarkably easy load (unlike the Denon).
Cheers!

freefallrob
16-01-2012, 12:10
Possibly a very different sound to the 103 but try a Goldring Eroica LX LOMC or HO (?).

In my personal experience the Eroica LX LOMC sounds superb (a few weeks loan from my Dad in my system and in his).

It tracks anything, sound totally confident across the side, even handed frequency balance, detailed, clean and has very nice stereo and focus, dynamic and has lightness of touch.

My only gripe would maybe be it's a slightly soft/lacking in slam at the bottom end, but to be honest that's probably more to do with the phono stage being used with it.

I'd have one in a shot, it doesn't get much press for some reason, perhaps it's not trendy;).

Rob.