PDA

View Full Version : Cork & Vinyl Platter Mat.

Primalsea
07-12-2008, 14:42
I needed something a bit thinner on my platter as the rubber mat I was using was too high. I quite liked the mat as it produced no static at all and sounded very good. I prefer felt but can stand the static it generates which then causes problems with noise and dust that just gets irritating.

I peeled some 1mm thick cork from its cardboard backing from a cheap pin board. I stuch a layer of the cork on an old cheap, thin record that was flat.

I have to say its very good:):):):)

The old record?? well it was Azwad, Too Wicked EP. When I first played it, it was so bad I thought "Don't turn around" but now it has a new lease of life.

Beechwoods
07-12-2008, 15:36
The old record?? well it was Azwad, Too Wicked EP. When I first played it, it was so bad I thought "Don't turn around" but now it has a new lease of life.

Sometimes you've just "Gotta Find A Way" :lol: :mental:

Marco
07-12-2008, 16:10
Who remembers Azwad when they were good, well before their 80s chart twaddle? :)

Marco.

Rare Bird
08-12-2008, 02:25
I used a varnished Cork platter mat for yonks on a Garrard '401' was greet. :)

The Grand Wazoo
28-05-2012, 23:04
From The Grave

Rare Bird
28-05-2012, 23:19
There's me saying a bit back i've not used a cork mat before when i really had i'd forgotten :o it was indeed a loricraft mat, i forget now what diameter it was, if anyone knows tell us..

hornucopia
29-05-2012, 19:33
Cork is my secret weapon in hi-fi! Use CORKS as 'Stillpoints', for example. Plus you can dampen vibration on cables (if you think it matters) with split corks. Also use as turntable support/amp/etc.
It has great characteristics . Was even used on a Space shuttle.
And I love Iberian cork oak forests........