PDA

View Full Version : Caiman+ - alway Input 4... Why?

Mr Nad
13-01-2012, 16:50
This is a small annoyance I have with the Caiman+. Perhaps StanleyB can offer a solution if nobody else can?

When I turn off the Caiman+, I always turn off the mains power to the PSU, too. When I next turn everything back on, the Caiman defaults to Input 4, which is the 2nd optical input. I would much rather it default to Input 1.

Is there any way to force it to return to Input 1?

Thank,

Lenny

keiths
13-01-2012, 17:00
I'm sure there is, but you'll need to get your soldering iron out...

Reid Malenfant
13-01-2012, 17:07
Is there any way to force it to return to Input 1?
You'd expect it to be random, so there must be something calling the shots at power up. So I think you should be able to change it.

Pretty sure bog standard 4066 type switching is used on the inputs, so it may well just be a case of finding out what at power up is forcing number 4 to be set & changing it to another switch :scratch:

Stan is the man to ask :)

You think that's annoying :eyebrows: Every time I power up my pre amp I have to dim the fluorescent display. It remembers everything except that :rfl: At least you only have to press one button once. I have to press one 5 times to get to the dimmest setting :steam:

keiths
13-01-2012, 17:08
Here you go - post number 215 onwards,,,

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3058&highlight=caiman+input+default&page=22

Reid Malenfant
13-01-2012, 17:10
I figured it'd be a capacitor taking one of the switches high :eyebrows:

Mr Nad
13-01-2012, 20:22
Wonderful. As least there is a solution, although with the soldering skills I possess, I think I'm might as well just press button 1 when I switch on the unit.

I'm going to have to practise this soldering lark, aren't I...

Alex_UK
13-01-2012, 23:46
There's an easy solution (my standard Caiman always defaults to 4 too - USB in my case) - just don't switch it off! ;)

MartinT
13-01-2012, 23:48
Mine defaults to all four lights on! Not a problem as I never switch it off.

Reid Malenfant
14-01-2012, 00:02
Mine defaults to all four lights on! Not a problem as I never switch it off.
Trust you to be different :rfl:

Nothing wrong with that though, I follow my own path to :eyebrows:

MartinT
14-01-2012, 00:53
It's probably a function of the different internal regs (Paul Hynes) and the way they power up. Made my heart stop the first time it happened, but pressing any of the inputs gets the desired single input selected :lol:

Mr Nad
14-01-2012, 09:43
Leave it on!? My electricity bill will shoot up! The moths in my wallet will die.:lol::lol::lol:

MartinT
14-01-2012, 09:49
LOL! The Caiman sips power. I doubt it would cost you a fiver to run all year. Also, it sounds better when thoroughly warmed up.

StanleyB
14-01-2012, 10:30
There is a mod somewhere in the TC-7520 DIY thread on how to modify the default input selection. I might have to put all these mods in one place on one of my sites just to make things easier to find..

The 4 LEDs will all light up together if you are using a linear power supply. Don't ask me why, but it does...

Canetoad
14-01-2012, 14:02
It's probably a function of the different internal regs (Paul Hynes) and the way they power up. Made my heart stop the first time it happened, but pressing any of the inputs gets the desired single input selected :lol:

My Caiman with Dexa regs does the same thing. Bothered me at first but doesn't seem to do any harm.

Paul Hynes
03-02-2012, 11:55
Martin,

The S17 regulators have a slow voltage rise on switch on. This can sometimes cause initialisation issues on equipment that requires defined fast output voltage rise time. Reducing the cap next to the adjustment pot to 10 uf usually cures the problem although it will raise the noise floor slightly.

The Dexa regs may have a slow run-up too.

Regards
Paul

MartinT
03-02-2012, 13:07
Thanks, Paul. I have noticed that they have a smooth voltage ramp up and it doesn't seem to be a problem with either the Caiman or SL-1210.