PDA

View Full Version : Resistor types?

goraman
12-01-2012, 12:43
Do resisters make a huge difference in a speaker xover for example'

Some like Mills some like Mundorf,I have only ever had sand cast so I don't really know if it makes any difference?

Z-A
12-01-2012, 20:51
Getting into this stuff aren't you?
Basic answer is yes, anything in the signal path will affect the sonic output, the types you mention are all good, til you use the Duelund cast, which seem to have no audible effect on the signal. They are £££, but worth it.

Reid Malenfant
12-01-2012, 21:27
Once again it depends on what it's doing. If it's shunting to ground then it won't have as much effect as a resistor that carries signal to a driver.

In the case of some resistor feeding a tweeter look for low inductance (though you have to be careful as this might have been taken into account on the original design) :)

Z-A
12-01-2012, 22:38
Further to above, I would not describe the difference as 'huge' though, it is more of a final clean up after high quality caps.

sq225917
12-01-2012, 23:47
Maybe the Deulunds sound so good because they are made out of pencils? Maybe they just 'draw' the music out.... ;-)

goraman
13-01-2012, 04:24
Once again it depends on what it's doing. If it's shunting to ground then it won't have as much effect as a resistor that carries signal to a driver.

In the case of some resistor feeding a tweeter look for low inductance (though you have to be careful as this might have been taken into account on the original design) :)

I got Mills resisters ordered today'
6 in total and yes I got some for shunting the tweeters,but I couldn't get the same 50 ohm so I got a couple 47 ohm instead.
I wonder if it will make much difference.

I will never spend $25.00 each for the Duelund resisters $150.00 plus tax and shipping! for 6 resisters!
And they look like doobies,badly rolled doobies with 2 built in wire roach clips.
LOOK! IT EVEN GETS CRAZIER! http://www.partsconnexion.com/resistors_duelund_cast.html OVER $300.00+ tax and shipping!!!

Reid Malenfant
13-01-2012, 13:42
50 ohm to 47 ohm, let me think :hmm:

I'd be amazed if you could tell the difference, it'll be less than half a decibel & at a frequency where human ears are not so sensitive :)

So not really - no.

DSJR
13-01-2012, 16:56
Some very fine and expensive passive speakers in past decades were wired with standard resistors and fed from the amp with garden grade mains cable at a notable audio show - I'm thinking of the Quad 57's, which really don't need all this bullsh*t to sound great :D

spendorman
13-01-2012, 17:03
Some very fine and expensive passive speakers in past decades were wired with standard resistors and fed from the amp with garden grade mains cable at a notable audio show - I'm thinking of the Quad 57's, which really don't need all this bullsh*t to sound great :D

+1

Z-A
13-01-2012, 23:22
I got Mills resisters ordered today'
6 in total and yes I got some for shunting the tweeters,but I couldn't get the same 50 ohm so I got a couple 47 ohm instead.
I wonder if it will make much difference.

I will never spend $25.00 each for the Duelund resisters $150.00 plus tax and shipping! for 6 resisters!
And they look like doobies,badly rolled doobies with 2 built in wire roach clips.
LOOK! IT EVEN GETS CRAZIER! http://www.partsconnexion.com/resistors_duelund_cast.html OVER $300.00+ tax and shipping!!!

You asked wether resistors made a huge difference, perhaps you meant to ask 'what should I buy?'. In your case I'm sure mills are fine. It's all relevant to where you use them of course. What they remind you of when you see a photo of one is a poor indicator of how they will sound in a crossover..
Ps, things have moved on a bit since the 57's.

goraman
13-01-2012, 23:48
You asked wether resistors made a huge difference, perhaps you meant to ask 'what should I buy?'. In your case I'm sure mills are fine. It's all relevant to where you use them of course. What they remind you of when you see a photo of one is a poor indicator of how they will sound in a crossover..
Ps, things have moved on a bit since the 57's.

I have to agree with you on the 57's ,I have owned Sound Labs.
And what the resister looks like really doesn't matter but they are an odd looking duck.
I went with the Mills just to see if there is any difference between sand cast and metal,I really don't think there is going to be $45.00 difference between
the Mills and the Big Black Doobie looking duelunds.