PDA

View Full Version : "Audiocom TENZING CD Players"

Audiocom AV
06-12-2008, 14:06
We have finished developing our own CD player based on the Marantz CD63KI player. The Audiocom player retains the chassis, transformer, display, servo, decoder & DAC of the CD63 but the core power supplies, regulation, clock system, passive parts, DAC filter, analogue stage are replaced. The CD player display circuitry is powered from its own dedicated power supply and independent from any digital & analogue circuits. We install the highest quality, pure Silver output coupling transformers (CD OPT’s) from Audio Consulting, Switzerland. The CD OPT’s replace the analogue stage in the CD63 which is directly wired to a pair of Neutrik RCA phonos’ with Audio Consulting enamelled pure Silver wire. We install Bybee Quantum purifiers for the AC & DC supplies. When the player is finished the entire unit is Deep Cryogenically Treated (DCT).

The Audiocom players with be available as two versions under the name ‘TENZING’ (TZG).

CD-63KI TZG mAster @ £1700.00

Special Features of TZG mAster:- Fully independent, isolated power supply for LCD display & display circuitry, modified, Philips VAM1202 laser, Jensen 4-pole, 4,700UF digital & analogue power supply reservoir, Silicon Carbide (SiC) diodes for digital & analogue power, Superclock 4-S ultra-low jitter master clock, discrete, “Super-regulators” for +/- analogue supplies, specially selected low noise 5V regulation, Bybee Quantum purifiers for AC & clock line, Audio Consulting Copper Output Coupling Transformers for analogue stage, Single Crystal (OCC) signal wires, Deep Cryogenic Treatment for CD-63 (excludes chassis, transformers).

CD-63KI TZG stEitment @ £2475.00

Special Features of TZG stEitment:- Fully independent, isolated power supply for LCD display & display circuitry, modified, Philips VAM1202 laser, Jensen 4-pole, 10,000UF digital & analogue power supply reservoir, Silicon Carbide (SiC) diodes for digital & analogue power, Black Gate NX, 2200UF regulation bypass, Superclock 4-S ultra-low jitter master clock, discrete “Super-regulators” for +/- analogue supplies, specially selected low noise 5V regulation, Bybee Quantum purifiers for AC input, Bybee Slipstream purifier DC supplies & clock line, Black Gate FK analogue filter decoupling, Audio Consulting Silver Output Coupling Transformers for analogue stage, Audio Consulting enamelled pure Silver signal wire, Neutrik RCA Phono connectors, Deep Cryogenic Treatment for entire CD-63 unit.

Notes:

The Tenzing upgrades can be installed into an existing CD63KI for £1600.00 for the mAster version & £2375.00 for the stEitment.

The Tenzing mAster can be upgraded to the stEitment version for £875.00.

Why an Audiocom CD Player?

Having upgraded countless brands of players with varying price tags for 15+ years we are well aware of inadequacies of digital playback through many systems. Our company is becoming increasingly active in upgrading all types of audio & video equipment and will continue to rigorously progress this area. We have been asked by customers to supply a CD player which includes our products, upgrades as a purchase option. The TENZING player is designed for such customer who is seeking a CD player that incorporates our ideas & principles. The goal behind the TENZING players was to create a CD player which captures the ‘essence’, of any recording, and convey the vitality, immediacy and flow of analogue replay. Our belief is that digital has the ability to be an alternative source of choice to vinyl rather than a poor second. The TENZING series of CD players deliver the life & soul of music with a natural energy that possesses a ‘freeness’ in the sound that makes the majority of digital sound ‘compressed and flat’. Areas that have been deemed absent from Compact Disc are there to appreciate in the music, such as the texture, colour and expression of voice, expansive range of tones in an orchestra, palpable feel of drums and bass guitar. Listening to the TENZING is about enjoying the music and is a player that is equally skilled at playing mono & stereo recordings whether Jazz, Classical, Rock, Grunge, Dance, etc.

The TENZING players will be available from early January 2009 and are custom, hand-built to order. We will have available the mAster & stEitment for loan so they can be evaluated in the customers system and purchased on approval (terms & conditions apply). Full details of the TENZING players will be available soon.

For enquiries please PM, or e-mail at the address below.

E : mbartlett@audiocominternational.com

W: www.audiocominternational.com

W: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Audiocom-International-Ltd

Best Regards,
Mark Bartlett

Marco
06-12-2008, 16:42
Excellent stuff, Mark. I look forward to reviewing the first test unit :)

Marco.

John
06-12-2008, 16:50
Years ago Mark upgraded one of my CD Players he did an amazing job and his knowledge around how to get the best out of CD equipment is really good. I imagine these players will be very special

Audiocom AV
06-12-2008, 17:27
Thanks John.

Refresh my memory, which player did we upgrade?

Best Wishes
Mark

Covenant
06-12-2008, 17:55
Marco,
Have you reviewed the Squeezebox with Audiocom modifications? (or has anybody?)

Ali Tait
06-12-2008, 18:21
What mods do Audiocom carry out? I've been musing on the purchase of one of these for a while.I'd be using it with an Audio Note dac,so mods to the SB dac would not really be of interest.I like the look of the Duet,any mods on that?

Covenant
06-12-2008, 18:32
Have a look on their website www.audiocom-uk.com-yes they offer mods to the Duet as well. If you use a dac you can get the digital section upgraded only which is only about £120. :)

Audiocom AV
06-12-2008, 18:37
What mods do Audiocom carry out?

Hello Ali

We have upgrades for the Squeezebox Duet receiver; there are digital only, analogue only, and digital + analogue upgrades depending on how you use the Duet in a system. With your setup I recommend the digital upgrade with the Deep Cryogenic Treatment, details are available here;
http://www.audiocominternational.com/mod_inner.asp?id=59

Best Regards,
Mark Bartlett

Marco
06-12-2008, 18:37
Your link doesn't work, Covenant. Where are you trying to link to? If it's Audiocom International the correct link is at the bottom of Mark's original post :)

No unfortunately I've not reviewed the Audiocom Squeezebox modifications.

Marco.

Ali Tait
06-12-2008, 18:55
Thanks for that chaps.

John
06-12-2008, 20:30
Hi Mark about 3 years ago you did about £2000 worth of upgrades to my Nu-vista turned it from a lamb in wolf clothing to a full blown wolf

Marco
06-12-2008, 23:24
Mark knows as much about digital technology as Anthony Matthews knows about valves... Both are experts in their respective fields.

Notice how I use components from both in my system ;)

Marco.

Gazjam
07-12-2008, 08:50
Hello Ali

We have upgrades for the Squeezebox Duet receiver; there are digital only, analogue only, and digital + analogue upgrades depending on how you use the Duet in a system. With your setup I recommend the digital upgrade with the Deep Cryogenic Treatment, details are available here;
http://www.audiocominternational.com/mod_inner.asp?id=59

Best Regards,
Mark Bartlett

Hi Mark,

Im a Squeezebox owner and have been looking at your mods on your website.

The Deep Cryogenic Treatment......can you tell me a bit more about it please?

Also, do you offer a home trial service for previously modded units, or a money back offer if not satisfied?

Thanks very much.

Audiocom AV
07-12-2008, 09:35
Hi Mark,

Im a Squeezebox owner and have been looking at your mods on your website.

The Deep Cryogenic Treatment......can you tell me a bit more about it please?

Also, do you offer a home trial service for previously modded units, or a money back offer if not satisfied?

Thanks very much.

Hello Gazjam

Here is some information on the cryogenic processing applied to the Duet receiver;

Deep Cryogenic Treatment or DCT for short is a process that involves the cooling of metals and other materials to very low temperatures, typically around -190°C. When metals such as Copper or Silver are drawn they develop a distorted ‘grain’ structure which leads to tiny voids, disruptions and discontinuities in the conductor as the metal is compressed and contorted by the drawing process.

The DCT processing leads to the development of a more refined crystal structure of the metals, drastically reducing voids disruptions and discontinuities in the conductor. The result is a metal with reduced skin effect, lower resistance; improved electron flow.

We have the DCT process completed to the Duet receiver when we have installed the component level upgrades. What we hear is a reduction in system noise, music has less background noise, they are quieter, blacker. The low frequencies have better definition, solidity; the sound opens up with improved spatial qualities, focus. The overall tonality is more natural, the highs have reduced glare, spotlighting.

Feedback from a customer who had the Duet digital upgrade + cryogenic process commented that the sound using the Duet Receiver as source is much, much nearer to that from the Cyrus CD6S transport.

We plan to start offering Duet units Jan/Feb time for home trial on a customer approval basis.

Best Wishes
Mark Bartlett

Ali Tait
07-12-2008, 12:38
I'd certainly be interested in trying one Mark.

Togil
07-12-2008, 12:52
I've heard of cables sounding worse after the treatment ( Colloms on Black Rhodium ? )

StanleyB
07-12-2008, 12:58
What does Deep Cryogenic treatmant achieve ?

I've heard of cables sounding worse after the treatment ( Colloms ? )
Snaring a gullible consumer. The 1st generation of cryogenically treated humans have yet to show signs of life;). If it didn't work on the basic building blocks of life, how could it possiblly work on inanimate objects?

Marco
07-12-2008, 13:02
You've been watching too many episodes of 'Dr Who' ;)

Stan, you guys could probably learn from each other. Some shared insight on 'digital shenanigans' from you both would I'm sure be mutually beneficial, not to mention for everyone else also :)

Marco.

StanleyB
07-12-2008, 13:27
Stan, you guys could probably learn from each other. Some shared insight on 'digital shenanigans' from you both would I'm sure be mutually beneficial, not to mention for everyone else also :)
I shared my secrets with a few, and then watched them getting rich whilst leaving me poor. I even reluctantly share data and info with some of my manufacturing contacts these days. It is an ocean full of sharks out there.

Marco
07-12-2008, 13:36
True, but I'm just talking about general info, not your darkest 'secrets', whatever they may be :eyebrows:

Marco.

Steve Toy
07-12-2008, 14:48
I guess at one end of the scale there is the trusting fool who shares his darkest industry secrets to his peril and at the other is the ultra defensive who takes swipes at his (potential) competitors at every turn.

Somwehere between these extremes we have AOS contributors sharing a common goal.

StanleyB
07-12-2008, 15:46
It is a fine balance. But I now believe in keeping the ingredients secret, and only discuss the taste:).

Stan

leo
07-12-2008, 16:01
Makes sense not to share too much, even us diyers don't share everything ;)

Audiocom AV
07-12-2008, 18:33
I'd certainly be interested in trying one Mark.

Hello Ali

When you are ready send me an e-mail I will contact you when the we have the Duet receivers with upgrades & cryo available.

Best Wishes
Mark

Ali Tait
07-12-2008, 22:03
Thanks Mark,let me know when they are available and we'll sort it out.

Regards.

MartinT
08-12-2008, 03:47
Hi Mark

Some years ago you performed (in two stages) the full set of upgrades to my Sony SCD-1. You certainly made that player sing - I still remember the crestfallen look on my friend's face when it outperformed his Linn CD12. I remember that machine very fondly.