PDA

View Full Version : Rega Re Wire

Primalsea
06-12-2008, 14:02
I've just re wired my Rega again as the previous wire had damaged insulation that I didn't notice when rewiring.

I made a plug by putting a coil of waxed paper inside the mounting. I then used a pair of helping hands to hold the interconnect wire inside the mounting and then pushed epoxy repair putty inside.

This made a nice bung that fits inside the arm mount which can be secured by the grub screw. Its not the best pics but you should get the idea.

If anyone rewires a rega I can recommend this method.
The card is just holding the silicone sealant I squirted in to insulate the tonearm wires. The card will come off once it's dry.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f23/primalsea/Plug.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f23/primalsea/TonearmWire.jpg

Beechwoods
07-12-2008, 07:46
So you've got that rumbling when the tonearm moves problem sorted out now? It must have been gutting to get your slatedeck up together and find that something wasn't right. Your idea of creating a silicone bung is one that's probably useful for other 'arms as well.

I got my Lenco properly wired to your old plinth base last night, and sorted out a permanent solutions to the tonearm earthing that had been bugging me for ages. I also fitted and set up a new lightweight Lenco headshell, with an old Shure M75ED Type II cartridge. I think I've got more top-end now vs the M55E I had before. It took that long getting it set up though I can't be 100% sure! I hope I'm not the only one without a phonographic memory!

PS. I like the way your organise your workspace. Very tidy. Nothing more frustrating than not having what you want to hand!

Primalsea
07-12-2008, 09:40
Hi Nick,

Earthing a turntable and arm is more important than most people realise. I normally earth the turntable to the mains or pre amp powersupply earth. The tonearm I normally connect to the preamp earth or use a croc clip on one of the interconnect plugs if they're metal.

I also go to great pains to earth the spindle and the platter if its metal too. This really helps to fight off static. I've been looking at one of those cleaning arms with the carbon fibre brush that you leave on the record while playing.

Has anyone got any exprience of these??

Beechwoods
07-12-2008, 09:58
The tonearm I normally connect to the preamp earth or use a croc clip on one of the interconnect plugs if they're metal.

I also go to great pains to earth the spindle and the platter if its metal too. This really helps to fight off static. I've been looking at one of those cleaning arms with the carbon fibre brush that you leave on the record while playing.

Has anyone got any exprience of these??

I connected the tonearm to a bridge across the the shield side of the phono plugs, that way the tonearm earth is routed back through the pre-amp and amp, in a long chain. Some say it's worth running all your kit off the same mains supply as well. Mine is currently same spur, but different wall socket. It sounds dead silent to me as far as hum is concerned.

I've got an original dustbug, but I've not had enough experience of it to say what the affects are on static suppression. One thing that I do find bothersome is that at the low levels I tend to listen to stuff in the evening, the musical 'interference' from the nylon bristles (acting as mini gramophone needles) that sit in front of the cylindrical anti-static pad is distracting. So I only use it at good listening levels.

I'll do some pictures of the Dustbug sometime 'cos it a nice little item, it was unopened when given to me so came with all the original packaging including a container of 30 year old anti-static fluid :)

Beechwoods
08-12-2008, 23:40
Another thought... poly-lined record sleeves. I swear these make a difference to the static build-up on records. I'm moving all my decent LP's over to poly-lined sleeves. It saves that horrible sound as you slide an LP into a rough paper sleeve as well!

Primalsea
09-12-2008, 08:10
A packet of antistatic sleeves was the best £15 I spent.