PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Finchampstead

MartinT
07-02-2008, 21:33
Hi All
I'm new here but not new to hi-fi, having had music as a passion since childhood. I won't bore you with a list of my equipment since the main components should show up in my sig and, anyway, equipment choice is such a personal thing. I can tell you, though, that my system's synergy is the best I have ever achieved and I love relaxing to music every evening after a day's good work. Very happy to chat about anything to do with hi-fi and music.

I also moderate the hi-fi conference on CIX Conferencing.

Marco
07-02-2008, 21:35
Hi Martin,

Welcome to the forum and for the introduction :)

Please have a look around and contribute to whatever discussions you want.

Regards,
Marco.

MartinT
07-02-2008, 21:39
Hi Marco

I notice you have an Audiocom modified Sony XA-777ES SACD player. I had a similarly modified Sony SCD-1 which I only just recently part-exchanged for the Ayre. I have a great deal of respect for the Sony, especially build quality. The sound of the modified player was also very impressive; I once compared it with a Linn CD-12 on my system and it was the equal of the much more expensive player.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome.

pjdowns
07-02-2008, 21:42
Hello Martin,

I was looking at Finchampstead when we were moving over this way

Thought I would just tell you that LOL

P.

MartinT
07-02-2008, 21:50
I was looking at Finchampstead when we were moving over this way

And I'm now looking at Basingstoke as my son will go to Queen Mary's College starting from September.

Marco
07-02-2008, 22:01
Hi Marco

I notice you have an Audiocom modified Sony XA-777ES SACD player. I had a similarly modified Sony SCD-1 which I only just recently part-exchanged for the Ayre. I have a great deal of respect for the Sony, especially build quality. The sound of the modified player was also very impressive; I once compared it with a Linn CD-12 on my system and it was the equal of the much more expensive player.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome.

No problem, Martin :)

Yes the Audiocom International-modified X777ES/DAS-R1 combo is absolutely superb and outperforms everything I compare it with, and that includes some very expensive CD players! I intend to have the internal components of the DAC cryogenically treated, as per Mark's recommendation. Apparently the difference this makes is stunning!

Yes, normally cryogenic treatment is reserved for cables but Mark reported quite frankly amazing improvements from doing this with PCBs, etc. I guess it makes sense if you think about it... I intend to do a feature on the Sony soon so look out for it :cool:

Good to have you here. I'm sure there are lots of interesting discussions ahead!

Marco.

Vinyl Grinder
08-02-2008, 05:26
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj292/ELPFAN/777.jpg

Pitty you aint got the matching Transport to the DAS-R1!

http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyesprit/CDPDASR1/CDPR1DASR1.html

http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyesprit/CDPDASR1/CDPR1-inside.html

http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyesprit/CDPDASR1/DASR1-inside.html

Filterlab
08-02-2008, 11:19
Hi Martin, nice to have you here. :)

Marco
08-02-2008, 11:53
Andr'e,

The DAS-R1 is what I use, although modified by Audiocom International. It really is stunning. I used to have the R1 transport, too, but a diode malfunctioned that prevented the CD drawer from opening, which Sony had discontinued and was therefore irreplaceable, so I had to sell the R-1 for parts to Mark from AI.

However that paid for the X-777ES I bought from Ebay, and when I then had that modified too, its combination with the DAS-R1 was even better than that of the original R1 & DAS-R1! :)

I paid £450 for the X-777ES, the DAS-R1 cost me £1500 originally, and overall I've spent about £2k on internal modifications for both, so in total I've spent just under £4k - a lot of money - but what I've got competes with and betters in many respects CDPs up to £10k and beyond.

Frankly, CDPs just aren't made that way anymore (just look at the build quality and internal spec of the X-777ES and DAS-R1 above) and I wouldn't part with it for anything. It's the only CDP I've heard that doesn't sound 'digital' (in the bad sense that people hate) and that gives a similar presentation and performance to computer audio done well, like you've been discussing elsewhere. Honestly, the modified Sony has to be heard to be believed.

If Steve's reading this, I'm sure that he will offer his opinion having heard it do its stuff on numerous occasions...

Marco.

Vinyl Grinder
08-02-2008, 12:21
Seen as we hi-jacked Martins opening hello i may as well carry on...

I hear you marco.Sony are the only CDP i've stuck with.I understand the cheap end are a tad rough & ready but the more expensive ones sound well..I don't listern to CD to much, more convenience in the spare room more than anything (When our lasses mother comes visit :().I was all in for buying a more expensive machine than the one i have now, but i can't live with loading drawers...I'm too used to this fixed lazer mech/puck arrangment on mine (Naim/Meridian etc)..I just feel they are a better affair.It's only a QS 'XB-930E, UK Special edition but it had trichord clock & Psu's fitted as well as black gate caps here & there.....Sound bloody good as a transport & your right about sounding un CD like...I had ARCAM 'CD72' with 'CD92' upgrade before, this SONY leaves it even tho that ARCAM has Sony bits.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj292/ELPFAN/Picture008.jpg

Bit dusty never really listern to CD..

pjdowns
08-02-2008, 21:56
Sorry to anyone from Basingstoke but I really wouldn't recommend it Martin.

P.

Marco
08-02-2008, 22:49
What's wrong with Basingstoke, dude? :dance:

Marco.

pjdowns
09-02-2008, 00:02
It's more of a question of what is right with Basingstoke... We were looking that about the same time as we were looking in Finchampstead and it's just not that nice ... It's a New Town you see and well they ain't great ...

Marco
09-02-2008, 08:21
I know exactly what you mean, Paul, although I've never been to Basingstoke or Finchampstead, for that matter :)

There were quite a lot of 'new towns' in Scotland where I used to live. Here in north Wales, though, it's almost completely rural - not a new town in sight!

Marco.

greenhomeelectronics
09-02-2008, 09:13
Hi there OP, we are just down the road in Bracknell. Our town is much like Basingstoke but with a much better class of roundabout, I think we also have more of them. The best way to see it is from the bypass, preferably at high speed so it becomes slightly blurred. It's best to stay above 40 MPH anyway, otherwise the locals will have your wheels off. Finchampstead is much nicer :-)
Welcome.
Dave.

pjdowns
09-02-2008, 10:20
Dave,

Brilliant post ......

Bracknall has a slight reputation but I would never add it in the same context as Basingstoke which is more in the Crawley league.

Sorry, Finchampstead is really lovely, that was never meant to be placed into the comments about Basingstoke etc....

P.

Marco
09-02-2008, 10:36
Hey you guys are really selling your district to me! I think I'd take the fastest road out :hotrod: to...

:sheep:

No 'concrete jungles' here!

;)

Marco.

greenhomeelectronics
09-02-2008, 18:47
Tell you what Marco, I would love to move to Wales. Years ago I used to be a service engineer in the sawmill industry, I used to install and service huge sawmill machinery for a Swedish company. Most sawmills were in Wales or Scotland and I came to love both countries. Unfortunately I then went in to the Call center industry and both companies I worked for were in the M3 / M4 corridors. Bracknell is actually great if you are in to sport, we have more football pitches than any other town I have been to, we have two huge sports centers, a water world, a ski slope (I jest not) tennis courts, squash courts, a cricket pitch - the list is endless. Sadly I am old and fat and have the hand / eye coordination of a one armed blind bloke that did too many drugs in the 60's so sports facilities don't appeal to me.

Marco
09-02-2008, 23:28
Hi Dave,

I like sport. As far as playing it is concerned I like racquet sports such as tennis, squash, badminton and table tennis. Of them all I'm probably best at badminton, and used to play it to a reasonably high standard when I lived in Glasgow, entering competitions, etc, although I've let this go since I moved down to north Wales.

I also like cycling and do a spot of clay pigeon shooting (and hunting) now and then :)

My main love though is football, and my favourite team is Celtic. Unfortunately I can't get to watch them play live now, but I get all their games shown on Setanta Sports, or listen to the games live via satellite on Radio Scotland. I also sometimes go to watch Everton play, as one of my friends is a season ticket holder. I admire Davie Moyes as a manager - well he used to play for a Celtic. I probably have more of a soft spot for Liverpool, though!

North Wales is cool. I miss Glasgow (and Scotland in general), particularly the shopping in Glasgow city centre, as in my opinion it is the best of any UK city outside of London. There is also a big Italian community in Glasgow, which I miss. However, I don't miss the hustle and bustle of city life and the general 'rat race' I was part of when I lived there. These days I have a pretty chilled out life operating a nice little business from home where I can work as many hours as I like or instead just sit all day listening to music! :guitar:

The scenery locally around where I live is stunning and apart from the town of Wrexham itself the area is very rural with lots of sleepy little villages all with a local pub where many an afternoon is spent relaxing in peace and quiet miles away from the rat race many people are part of when living in big cities like London. Nope, Welsh ‘sheepy-land’ is just fine as far as I'm concerned! :)

Marco.

greenhomeelectronics
10-02-2008, 12:16
Ah - Wrexham, home of JCB. I worked on a big automated production plant project there, where they make the gearboxes. I used to stay at the Milestone motor inn at Bylchgwyn (not sure of the spelling there, most likely miles out), beautiful scenery. I hate cities and big towns, everybody is always in such a hurry and never have any time for anybody else. Still at least where we are we have a superb view of the Fujitsu building and that nice Mr Prescott gave the go ahead to completely erode the green patches all around us. Any concrete fetishists out there want to buy a house?

MartinT
10-02-2008, 22:28
I don't have a choice about Basingstoke since my son is going to Queen Mary's College in September so I need to live close enough. Since I work in Ascot, which is next to Bracknell and up the M3, that makes my potential commute ok.

By the way, Finchampstead is fine but the closest town is Wokingham and that is the armpit of Britain. I can't think of a single good thing to say about Wokingham and can't wait to get away from it. So you see, Basingstoke doesn't seem that bad :-)

MartinT
10-02-2008, 22:30
I meant to add, I will post a photo or two of my updated system in the gallery section. I am also contemplating an upgrade of either power amplifier or speakers later in the year and would like the team's opinions. Shall I start a new thread somewhere?

pjdowns
12-02-2008, 00:11
Ah Wokingham,

My cousin lives there .. he always gives me the impression that it is really nice and it did come quite high up in the town poll thing last year !

P.

I suppose Basingstoke isn't so bad ....

MartinT
12-02-2008, 16:03
When Radio 2 announced that Wokingham was one of the nominated towns I nearly crashed the car!

pjdowns
20-02-2008, 17:20
LOL

Sorry if I was in any way offensive earlier in this thread. I was just trying to advise ....

Paul.