PDA

View Full Version : Salute to Mr Bowie!

Fi-Wi
08-01-2012, 17:01
Because surprisingly I've not found a relevant topic on AoS yet, I've created this one just to congratulate Mr Stardust with his 65th (:wow:) birthday today!

Thank you for all the enjoyment your music gave me the last 30 years and may you go on for many years :youtheman:

Now please don't tell me that he doesn't read this great forum! Every self respecting music lover does. :doh:

sparrow
08-01-2012, 17:28
Happy birthday Dave...been a big fan since 1977...so sad that he has more or less retired from music.

royzak
08-01-2012, 18:08
Ziggy's coming out to play.

Audioman
14-01-2012, 20:54
Unfortunately it isn't clear if Mr Jones will ever produce new music. Following his heart problem in 2003 he has only made the odd appearance and was assumed to have retired though never officialy announced. Let's hope he does a Paul Scholes and makes an unexpected comeback.

Fi-Wi
09-01-2013, 18:35
Great to read that after 10 years of silence the new (http://www.davidbowie.com/the-next-day) Bowie album is due for coming March!

Though I have to say that Where Are We Now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOyDTy9DtHQ) still has to grow on me. Well, it has been 10 years so I'll give it some time.

Speaking of, time seems to have influenced his voice or maybe it is just his appearance in the said video that suggests that. Well, he's timeless nonetheless.

John
09-01-2013, 19:03
I heard a few tracks on the radio very reflective, his voice has aged a bit but still Bowie

Tim
09-01-2013, 19:20
He's 66 not 65 ;)

Been playing him a lot over the last two days and only found out that I was at his last live appearance on stage! He performed two encores for David Gilmour during his 3 night series at The Royal Albert Hal in 2006, during David's 'On an Island' tour. DB didn't do any of his own stuff, but sang Arnold Layne and then the second vocal line on Comfortably Numb . . . what a night :) You should have heard the roar when he walked on stage too, as it was a complete surprise and a very well guarded secret.

Congrats David and thanks for all the music.

Fi-Wi
09-01-2013, 19:34
He's 66 not 65 ;).

When I started this thread he wasn't. :rolleyes:

Tim
09-01-2013, 19:35
just to congratulate Mr Stardust with his 65th (:wow:) birthday today!
;)

so roll away with the eyes Mr :eyebrows:

johnB
09-01-2013, 19:53
Like the new single, and it encouraged me to play Low, Heroes, Lodger, Scary Monsters back to back in the car....yesterday and today. Easy to forget how innovative and unique he is.

Tim
09-01-2013, 20:05
He is without doubt a class act - been doing pretty much the same myself actually and I have his Reality Tour double disc on at the moment, but he's been spinning all day today.

synsei
09-01-2013, 20:33
I am one of the few Bowie fans who actually like the Let's Dance album, which probably won't impress David as I remember reading that he absolutely detested it. I also enjoyed his soundtrack to Labyrinth... :door:

sparrow
09-01-2013, 22:19
DB is my all time fave male vocalist..love all periods in his career and I too enjoy Lets Dance...and Labyrinth..Nice to see him make a return and recent pics of him show he's aged well. I am sure he packed in a 60 fags a day habit sometime ago. Wish I could but if I smoked 60 a day I'd be dead by now.

Barry
10-01-2013, 00:16
Well it was sufficient to put it on the front page of a few newspapers today (and not the 'red tops').

The clip they played on the BBC News last night didn't fill me with enthusiasm. I'm not sure what I would have expected as I'm not a huge Bowie fan. Of the four records I have:

Ziggy Stardust (and the spiders from Mars)
Low
Heros

and

Scarey Monsters,

my favourites are from his 'Berlin' period: Low and Heros.

walpurgis
10-01-2013, 00:39
Bowie is one the all time greats. Who else could have done 'Drive in Saturday' for instance. But I just hope the new album is better than the last, it was terrible.

DanJennings
11-01-2013, 18:32
I own pretty much every Bowie album and I got 'Tonight' for christmas... I'm really struggling with it, it's pretty awful.

My faves are Hunky Dory and Aladdin Sane but apart from the aforementioned and maybe 'Never Let Me Down' I can't really think of a bad one, he's done classics in every decade!
60s: Space Oddity
70s: take your pick, any of them bar Pin Ups
80s: Scary Monsters / Lets Dance
90s: Earthling / Black Tie White Noise
00s: Heathen