PDA

View Full Version : Tera USB to SPDIF Converter

John
07-01-2012, 20:13
I just got this a fantastic bit of gear even makes Spotify sound almost analogue; a real step up in performance over the converter I use
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300543619480?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
With Jplay mini its pretty special

Reid Malenfant
07-01-2012, 20:31
Don't tempt me :ner:

:lol:

John
07-01-2012, 21:05
Lol well you know how the famous Oscar Wilde quote goes

John
08-01-2012, 12:45
Just a further update this is seriously good its burnt in more and even sounding better
So just using this on its own its takes Spotify to sounding like a serious bit of high end gear
With using it with JPlay in Hiberanation mode it takes my WAV files to a point where its the best I heard my system sound
Considering this costs less than most cables I say give into temptation Mark

Reid Malenfant
08-01-2012, 14:06
In all honesty John I only listen to MP3 files from my PC, what I may well do though is make use of the Oppo Universal players ESATA input & see how it sounds playing file based audio :) Hmmm, it also has a USB input :hmm:

Well, at some stage anyway..

John
08-01-2012, 14:16
Well even with Spotify its making a really big difference

Reid Malenfant
08-01-2012, 14:18
Are you a premium member John? If so you'll be getting 320Kbps, me I get the lowly stuff as I'm a skinflint :rfl:

John
08-01-2012, 14:40
yes premium but even stuff on apple losseless sounds prety good not in the same league as WAV but still really improves lossless and MP3

Welder
08-01-2012, 16:57
Okay, I have to admit this, i don't understand why people are converting USB to S/PDIF
I can only think of one good reason and that is there is no way to output S/PDIF from the computer.
If this is the case, then doesn't it make sense to make a change at one end or the other (sort out S/PDIF output or get a Dac that has a USB receiver chip)

Okay, on the plus side in this instance, this converter doesn't re-sample apparently.

Can anyone explain this to me? :scratch:

Reid Malenfant
08-01-2012, 17:04
You are right John, no S/PDIF output from the lappy ;) Much cheaper to fit a box of tricks in there to convert USB to S/PDIF than to either change the laptop or dCS Purcell :rfl: Though I see the new dCS Scarlatti does have a USB input, I just don't have near on 5 figures of spare spondoolics :eek:

Remember that I personally only have MP3 files on my PC, so it's not worth going daft & spending a fortune :D

Welder
08-01-2012, 17:16
Okay Mark, you're forgiven then ;)

I cant argue with the others who say their audio improves with the use of a converter but I cant help wondering if they had their computers set up properly in the first place.
There is enough re-sampling and crap affecting audio going on in computers without adding still more just to change data pipelines. :doh:

Reid Malenfant
08-01-2012, 17:22
This computer is used for over 12 hours a day John :eyebrows: It does ebay, paypal, AoS, speaker designing, emailing & even plays the odd bit of music every now & again :rfl:

Like I think I mentioned earlier, I may well see how the Oppo player does on streaming files as it has both an ESATA & USB input. But that is a good way off right now as I'm concentrating on other things.

John
08-01-2012, 17:26
Hi John I really understand where you coming from but it really works well on the USB side of things and like many people my laptop allows no other way
I could just go usb lead but there is no comparsion between sound and this is not my imgination or biased lisetening
I heard a lot of systems John and I state yet again this is the best I heard through JPLAY mini come down and listen in fact a open invention to anyone to listen and make their own mind up
I am sure there is a better way to do this I am open to hearing it in my system This is a cheap way to do it I heard some very expensive DACS and TT systems not sound as good as this

Welder
08-01-2012, 17:35
@John

I just don't know mate; here's me trying to strip as much crap as possible out of a computer operating system, swapping the crap internal components for something decent, sending audio through one processor core and the OS stuff through another and I've got people telling me that chucking a fivers worth of electronics and changing the data pipeline halfway through transfer makes music. :scratch:

I think I'll give up :doh:

I

John
08-01-2012, 17:46
well i have a philosophy if it works it works you have a purist approach
I am sure that pursits approach would pay off but I do not have the technical knowledge or the money to pull it off, this works really well in my system without costing silly money and I am open to others to hear for themselves

Welder
08-01-2012, 18:04
Not purist really John; just tight, indignant and inquisitive.

Yer JPlay man is going to have to do a lot more than package up an autoruns manager and processor optimiser to rush me for £100 :whistle::facepull:

I'm going to have a van for a bit in March John so I may try to get down to see you and have a listen.

DaveK
08-01-2012, 23:48
Hi guys,
You could get the same thing for half those beer tokens if you bought this: -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Native-24bit-96k-USB-Spdif-I2S-Converter-DAC-/300610795395?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fdccb783

and built your own PSU - it would probably sound even better too.
Now are you tempted? ;) .
Dave.

Not purist really John; just tight, indignant and inquisitive.

Yer JPlay man is going to have to do a lot more than package up an autoruns manager and processor optimiser to rush me for £100 :whistle::facepull:

I'm going to have a van for a bit in March John so I may try to get down to see you and have a listen.

John
09-01-2012, 05:14
John just let me know in advance as much as you can and I ensure I am off work if you decide to visit
Most of my gear is pretty resonable priced

Dave the power supply improves the Tera usb to spdif conveter

pete_mac
09-01-2012, 05:16
Okay, I have to admit this, i don't understand why people are converting USB to S/PDIF
I can only think of one good reason and that is there is no way to output S/PDIF from the computer.
If this is the case, then doesn't it make sense to make a change at one end or the other (sort out S/PDIF output or get a Dac that has a USB receiver chip)

Okay, on the plus side in this instance, this converter doesn't re-sample apparently.

Can anyone explain this to me? :scratch:

A decent quality USB to SPDIF converter will generally spit out a signal with lower jitter than the onboard SPDIF. To my ears the difference is certainly worth it - SPDIF outputs direct from the motherboard are not the greatest!

bobbasrah
09-01-2012, 08:47
A decent quality USB to SPDIF converter will generally spit out a signal with lower jitter than the onboard SPDIF. To my ears the difference is certainly worth it - SPDIF outputs direct from the motherboard are not the greatest!

We have the usb, spdif, async, non-async, i2s only, galvanic isolation, stripped down OS, minimal process, Linux, individual core, mp3, flac, wav, mains conditioning, replacement psu, digital cable quality etc (to name but a few) advocates, undoubtedly based on honest opinion from experiences with their own gear and hearing. Fascinating variations and solutions, though inconclusive in terms of generalisation, as no two setups are absolutely identical. :mental:
The same would apply to computer motherboards, and my own is running audio via asio /async/usb up to 24/192 to get best audio, falling back to the lower quality optical when I select video. It works, has no interference, and the computer is use normally for the net and work.:cool:
I doubt if a usb-spdif converter would improve things, but it is not impossible it might improve on the existing optical output. However, if the signal is at it's best already at usb, and the onboard optical converter is substandard, why should optical concern me?:scratch:
The next year should prove interesting with respect to the DAC market, but I have little doubt that the bits that make up the stew will stimulate endless debate.:eyebrows:

Clive
09-01-2012, 09:16
There are many ways to lower jitter. I happen to think that even though jplay is 90 quid for not a lot of code it's the most cost effective product I've come across so far. A stripped out PC with linear power supplies is going to cost way more.

I have a good async usb dac here plus my 7520. The dacs for sure make a difference, quite a significant one, but the place to spend the money is in the player first of all. I simply never heard redbook sound so good and on a par with a really good vinyl setup, no matter what CDP or transport is put into the equation, maybe except for DCS.

John
09-01-2012, 10:47
It only adds to Jplay and I get spotify to sound as good as Jplay Mini but not as good as Hibernation mode
Combine the two and takes things even further

pete_mac
10-01-2012, 05:27
We have the usb, spdif, async, non-async, i2s only, galvanic isolation, stripped down OS, minimal process, Linux, individual core, mp3, flac, wav, mains conditioning, replacement psu, digital cable quality etc (to name but a few) advocates, undoubtedly based on honest opinion from experiences with their own gear and hearing. Fascinating variations and solutions, though inconclusive in terms of generalisation, as no two setups are absolutely identical. :mental:
The same would apply to computer motherboards, and my own is running audio via asio /async/usb up to 24/192 to get best audio, falling back to the lower quality optical when I select video. It works, has no interference, and the computer is use normally for the net and work.:cool:
I doubt if a usb-spdif converter would improve things, but it is not impossible it might improve on the existing optical output. However, if the signal is at it's best already at usb, and the onboard optical converter is substandard, why should optical concern me?:scratch:

Each to their own in this regard. You will note that I said 'generally' as it is not possible to make sweeping absolute statements for the exact reasons you suggest above.

In my personal experience a high-quality USB to SPDIF interface like the Audiophilleo or Jkeny-modded Hiface performs noticeably better than the on-board USB implementations on most DACs. Your mileage may vary.

John
10-01-2012, 06:58
I hear the JKHIFACE performs really well too
I hope to compare in a few weeks
There are lots of pathways to decent sound and in my system this has made a sizeable difference to digital playback

bobbasrah
10-01-2012, 08:52
Sorry, Pete and John, I realise that we are talking of different setups and solutions.
What I am getting at is that IF the signal is good enough already at the usb, it is only the manner of onward transfer of the signal and how it's dealt with at the DAC which remains the variable, rather than the medium through which transfer takes place.

With usb to optical there are two conversions in that chain, but the optical input is better handled it would appear in your cases at the DAC, and John Kenny's converter does a better job in creating the optical signal than possibly the motherboard implementation on my machine.

It may be interesting to try a Hiface or similar with the next DAC to see what if any differences there are, since there appear to be conflicting opinions on the the two methods of transfer.

John
10-01-2012, 09:00
You maybe right Bob
Everything should be related into your own system
All I can say in my system its making a huge difference, it may do in other peoples it may not
But if you using USB ouput then this should be considered alongside other alternatives

pete_mac
10-01-2012, 11:24
Sorry, Pete and John, I realise that we are talking of different setups and solutions.

No worries!

What I am getting at is that IF the signal is good enough already at the usb, it is only the manner of onward transfer of the signal and how it's dealt with at the DAC which remains the variable, rather than the medium through which transfer takes place.

Indeed

The quality of the USB receiver incorporated into the DAC is key. Asynch transfer is only part of the equation - some implementations are very good and some aren't so good.

With usb to optical there are two conversions in that chain, but the optical input is better handled it would appear in your cases at the DAC, and John Kenny's converter does a better job in creating the optical signal than possibly the motherboard implementation on my machine.

It may be interesting to try a Hiface or similar with the next DAC to see what if any differences there are, since there appear to be conflicting opinions on the the two methods of transfer.

Converters such as the Jkeny hiface, the Audiophilleo, the OffRamp etc are USB to SPDIF coax rather than USB to optical. I think you'd find that the above devices create a superior SPDIF signal than 99% of the SPDIF outputs incorporated on any motherboard, sound card or similar device. They do a heck of a lot to reduce jitter levels. Whether or not the differences are readily apparent obviously depends upon the individual and the system being used.

bobbasrah
10-01-2012, 11:52
Thanks for that Pete.
No wonder opinions are so divided with so many variables....

roob
10-01-2012, 12:20
I used a Mk1 JK Hiface until a few weeks ago and can confirm its in an excellent bit of kit SQ wise, a substantial improvement over a std Hiface. The latest improved Mk3 version should be even better.