PDA

View Full Version : those crazy Vantage feet...

1000RPM
06-01-2012, 23:32
ordered a quad of replacement feet for my SL1210 from Vantage. extremely helpful chaps, inc a phone call from them just to ensure that the parcel had made it through the xmas rush.

As to the improvement the Vantage feet bring to the SL1210 party, I can only say that this is an absolute bargain. Detail is enhanced a little, background noise is down a touch. But the real gain is this - everything sounds more natural, more real. It really does. I expected the difference to be minimal but the difference is very obvious. There is a much more natural, organic feel to vinyl I know very, very well. Marvellous stuff!:)

Gromit
07-01-2012, 09:21
They certainly do work very well - had mine for a few weeks now and occasionally swap them out for the Isonoes (which I really ought to give back to Theo!) just to re-confirm my findings. The VA feet just sound so much more natural, 4/8/16 bar phrases in music (they're the usual building blocks present in most Western music) begin to appear more obviously out of the mush, giving music direction and purpose.

At 25 quid, a stone bargain if there ever was one.

Richard at VA, as you say, is a top chap to deal with. He clearly knows these turntables inside out.

Artifolk
07-01-2012, 10:31
Just one question, what are you placing your Deck on once the feet have been fitted, Glass or Wood etc?

chris@panteg
07-01-2012, 11:13
Richard fitted a set of these feet to my SLQL1 last summer , I was startled at the improvement , it seemed as big an improvement as anything else he did to the QL1 ?

Its sat on a wall shelf (not a great one) but seems to work with a chipboard top and mini granite coasters under each feet , it feels more stable ! I feel the original floppy feet that Panasonic fitted to most of the Technics decks are a real letdown and should be replaced where possible .

On my 1210 I did try them briefly and it is a very different sound compared to my Isonoes , I need to try them again when my deck finally gets a new PSU .

The VA feet are a no brainer for the money though.

morris_minor
07-01-2012, 12:07
+1 to the VA feet on my QL1 too :). This reminds me, I need to see when Richard can bring my SL7 back - serviced, with new feet...

1000RPM
07-01-2012, 18:35
Just one question, what are you placing your Deck on once the feet have been fitted, Glass or Wood etc?

because of building work, my TT shelf is off the wall, so the SL1210 sits on a target turntable stand, with 10mm Mana glass under the VA feet.

once the building work is done, I have either a Target or Mana wall shelf to work with. I also have a gyrodec waiting for the dust to settle (quite literally!)

1000RPM
07-01-2012, 18:37
Gromit /Chris - you both refer to the different characteristics between VA and Isonoe feet. can you expand on the difference?

Gromit
07-01-2012, 19:58
Gromit /Chris - you both refer to the different characteristics between VA and Isonoe feet. can you expand on the difference?

Hi Philip - I'm a tad busy at the moment and will need an hour or so to gather what I've been learning about the repsective merits of these 2 different sets of feet. I've been swapping them in and out now for a period of nigh on 3 weeks now and have some fairly conclusive observations.

Will get back on here in the next day or 2 when I get some time. :)

chris@panteg
08-01-2012, 10:44

Hopefully my 1210 will be back in action this Thursday , and all being well , I can perhaps do a little comparison between the VA and the Isonoe feet !

Tarzan
08-01-2012, 12:34
Hopefully my 1210 will be back in action this Thursday , and all being well , I can perhaps do a little comparison between the VA and the Isonoe feet !

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts Chris:)

MWalt
13-01-2012, 11:12
Could someone please provide a link to the Vantage website?

AAshton
13-01-2012, 12:12
http://www.vantageaudio.com/

Andrew

chris@panteg
13-01-2012, 13:01
It would be interesting to hear your thoughts Chris:)

Hi Andy

Richard did a superb job rebuilding my 1210 , removing unwanted bits and installing the new PSU , I think he was shattered though as it was nearly 1 am when he left , so not much of a listen so far with Isonoes but I did play Murmur this morning before work .

It sounded pretty good , nicely open and out of the box with great tempo and timing , the 550 ML only has a few hours use though so early days and I was running it through my Yammy receiver.

MWalt
14-01-2012, 22:55

Andrew

Thank you, Andrew.

RochaCullen
07-02-2012, 11:13

Andrew

Can't see any feet listed on that site.

Nathan

Stratmangler
07-02-2012, 11:16
Can't see any feet listed on that site.

Nathan

Click on Technics, then prices.

chris@panteg
07-02-2012, 12:03
Click on Technics, then prices.

Fancy a set then Chris ;)

Gmanuk101
07-02-2012, 13:20
ok ok I am having difficulty in understanding (doh) why these feet would make a difference to the playback of the record.

My deck is situated on a solid coffee table (bought especially for this) with the amp on it's lower shelf. The speakers are a good distance away and not on the same surface as the turntable.

Is it a resonance thing? unsure....

Stratmangler
07-02-2012, 13:56

Yep :)

Stratmangler
07-02-2012, 13:57
Fancy a set then Chris ;)

I might give 'em a go ;)

chris@panteg
07-02-2012, 15:06
ok ok I am having difficulty in understanding (doh) why these feet would make a difference to the playback of the record.

My deck is situated on a solid coffee table (bought especially for this) with the amp on it's lower shelf. The speakers are a good distance away and not on the same surface as the turntable.

I know it's hard to understand ? Can't figure it out myself to be honest , but I have a set under my QL1 and they ain't coming off again :) Sometimes you just have to try things , at 25 squid it's a low risk .

MCRU
07-02-2012, 21:00
They are actually very good for the money, I have a set!

Marco
07-02-2012, 21:56
They're definitely another excellent and cost-effective option. Like I've always said, choice is good! :)

Marco.

Tarzan
16-06-2012, 09:39
Mine arrived this morning- really quick service btw, and will have a good listen to them over the course of the weekend:)

1000RPM
20-06-2012, 23:15
will be interesting to hear how the VAs compare against the Isonoes

Tarzan
21-06-2012, 21:02
will be interesting to hear how the VAs compare against the Isonoes

Rather well! More thoughts later when l put the Isonoes back in.

The Grand Wazoo
21-06-2012, 23:22
I'm sorry but you just can't have a thread called 'Those Crazy.....' anything and go for three pages without a photo. What do these feet look like & why are they crazy?

Tarzan
22-06-2012, 04:38
I'm sorry but you just can't have a thread called 'Those Crazy.....' anything and go for three pages without a photo. What do these feet look like & why are they crazy?

Price/performance ratio l would guess:)

morris_minor
22-06-2012, 07:41

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_250/MI0001/420/MI0001420023.jpg

DSJR
22-06-2012, 08:41
:lol:

The Grand Wazoo
22-06-2012, 08:57
Yeah, and Hamish has a crazy foot too!

Tarzan
24-06-2012, 12:07
Yesterday l put an Audiofile Base under the 1200 with the Vantage Audio Feet and this added audibly a good lift in Sound Quality- l could not do this with the Isonoes as the Audiofile Base was too small, this combo looks quite cool,more music very detailed and musical:)

1000RPM
29-06-2012, 12:29

'Those crazy...' was more a play on happy dancin' feet, rather than the very sedate look of the vantage feet. The do make a very positive improvement mind!

http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q467/1000RPM/images.jpg

The Grand Wazoo
30-06-2012, 00:02
Ahhhh OK, thanks for that. Now I'm on the bus!

Tarzan
30-06-2012, 18:22
Further musings on the VA feet................ the top of the feet are metal and so are the threads on the Techie, so l had a brainwave and put a plastic washer on the threads of the VA for a bit of damping and also minimising contact area and also cutting down on the metal to metal contact point, this provided a very worthwhile improvement in all areas of the decks performance, noticebly surface noise taken down a notch and the music was louder if you like, the Techie has never sounded so good... not bad for a free tweak and if you do not like easily reverseable:)

1000RPM
01-07-2012, 21:35
Tarzan - thanks for the tip. will give it a go.

so we are now tweaking the tweaks. where does it end?????? ;)

MCRU
01-07-2012, 21:37
Further musings on the VA feet................ the top of the feet are metal and so are the threads on the Techie, so l had a brainwave and put a plastic washer on the threads of the VA for a bit of damping and also minimising contact area and also cutting down on the metal to metal contact point, this provided a very worthwhile improvement in all areas of the decks performance, noticebly surface noise taken down a notch and the music was louder if you like, the Techie has never sounded so good... not bad for a free tweak and if you do not like easily reverseable:)

reverseable is that reversed you can see? :lol:

Tarzan
02-07-2012, 08:06
Tarzan - thanks for the tip. will give it a go.

so we are now tweaking the tweaks. where does it end?????? ;)

Report back Phil!:)

Qwin
17-01-2013, 19:07
The picture of VA feet - they look a lot like top suspension bump stops off a mini?
Now theres a thought :eyebrows:

joniakaidiot
19-01-2013, 12:50
The picture of VA feet - they look a lot like top suspension bump stops off a mini?
Now theres a thought :eyebrows:

Hi Ken,

Did you get a chance to check the size of the threads in those mini parts?
Would it fit SL-1210 own feet nuts?

Those mini parts are quite reasonably priced, a bit over £5 - so it'd be a nice DIY invest.
And it wouldn't be too big of a process to chance the feet nuts in SL-1210 bottom chassis. ;)

synsei
19-01-2013, 13:31
I think the composition of the rubber might be an issue on the Mini bump stops. The VA feet rubber compound is actually quite squishy, but I would expect the compound on a suspension bump stop to be somewhat more solid as it needs to cope with a fair bit of mass. Just a thought ;)

Qwin
19-01-2013, 14:27
I was suggesting it a bit tongue in cheek, they will almost certainly be an imperial thread size. I don't know the Techie thread size, presumably M6 or M8?
The after market upgrade bushes from people like Polybush are usually available in three different hardness levels but unless you have a very heavy table I doubt that even the softest version would be complient enough.

synsei
19-01-2013, 14:45
Ah, light dawns on marbled forehead :doh: I have my serious head on today Ken as I have been fighting with Linux again... (so far Linux is winning by two falls and a submission) :lol:

joniakaidiot
19-01-2013, 16:32
Ah, might be too stiff rubber then.

Or, how about adding some weight into SL-1210? :eek:
About 200kg?
More?
;)

vacdac
19-01-2013, 16:57
Ah, might be too stiff rubber then.

Or, how about adding some weight into SL-1210? :eek:
About 200kg?
More?
;)

:lol:...Lol, luvin' it, really made me smile!