PDA

View Full Version : Be Bop Deluxe

Haselsh1
06-01-2012, 16:14
ALBUM: MODERN MUSIC

BAND: BE BOP DELUXE

YEAR: 1976

During the year 1976 I became 17 years old and bought my first ever motorcycle, a Honda CG125 that cost me £325 brand new. At the same time, I discovered Be Bop Deluxe and the album Modern Music which came to represent all of the freedom I had now found and the excitement of being just 17 years old.

This album is quite unlike anything else but if I had to draw any parallels I believe it would be with David Bowie during that same period of time along with possibly early Roxy Music and maybe Queen. I just love the sound of Bill Nelson’s Gibson ES335 through Mesa Boogie valve amplification which his playing style enhances no end. He has a fluid way of playing that I have never heard since and this album shows that up to perfection. OK, by today’s standards this album is very dated but then I would rather involve myself in this than most of the drivel that purports to be ‘Modern Music’.

In addition to this album I also absolutely adore ‘Sunburst Finish’ which forms a perfect earlier companion to this collection of music but the one thing I do need to do if possible is to obtain digitally remastered versions of these two CD’s as my present copies are very old transcriptions.

The songs form a fluid progression through the whole of the album with each one obviously being carefully chosen to fill in with the whole but my favourite just has to be ‘Forbidden Lovers’ with its driving rhythm and forceful bass/snare combination. I love those early 1970’s Mini Moog sounds as well just to remind us all that it had only just been invented and this is where I draw the parallel with Brian Eno and his VCS-3 used extensively with Roxy Music.

In short, I am indeed living in the past but I make no excuses for that given the current situation with breakthrough rock bands and the dire, awful shite that is around at the moment. This album is exquisite and given its age it is recorded at a very sensible level of volume. Bill Nelson is still around I understand but no longer creates masterpieces like this one.

I find that such a shame.

sparrow
06-01-2012, 17:00
There is an excellent 5 disc set of all 5 Be Bop Deluxe albums with bonus material available now for under £15..I bought it late last year and the remastering is superb. A bargain if ever there was.

Modern Music was also my first album of theirs and remains my fave.

Thing Fish
06-01-2012, 17:16
I have Sunburst Finish on vinyl and I love it. Great cover too...!

Modern Music and Axe Victim were also favorites of mine...:)

wiicrackpot
06-01-2012, 17:42
There is an excellent 5 disc set of all 5 Be Bop Deluxe albums with bonus material available now for under £15..I bought it late last year and the remastering is superb. A bargain if ever there was.

Modern Music was also my first album of theirs and remains my fave.
John, any chance of a link to the deal?, i only have Sunburst Finish so that 5 disc set would be ideal.

jazzpiano
06-01-2012, 19:32
Nice remembrance ShaunH. I love it when folks pull out personal connections like that - it's like comparing attempts at objectivity in "Greatest Ever ____" lists (boring, usual suspects) w/ "Desert Island" picks (more fun). I remember, that sound was very unique, nobody had a sound like that. And your description of a "fluid" guitar is right on. He was hard to categorize, and the music was interesting yet nicely upbeat, if I remember.

Best,
Barry

DSJR
06-01-2012, 20:21
Only got Drastic Plastic on LP and an old CD collection of bill Nelson solo stuff. the LP is excellent I thought.

sparrow
06-01-2012, 21:02
John, any chance of a link to the deal?, i only have Sunburst Finish so that 5 disc set would be ideal.

Just have a squint on Amazon. It's called Futurist Manifesto and it's only £13.99.

Whooo Hoooo..

1000 posts.

bobbasrah
07-01-2012, 11:54
Just have a squint on Amazon. It's called Futurist Manifesto and it's only £13.99.

Whooo Hoooo..

1000 posts.

Compared to HMV's 27 quid :mental:, a bargain....

wiicrackpot
07-01-2012, 12:46

Whooo Hoooo..

1000 posts.
Thanks Sparra, ordered.:cool:

Congrats on your thousandth. :champagne:

wii.

stewart
07-01-2012, 14:35
I remember coming back from a holiday in Newquay, in 1974, saturday morning, at the age of 15, sat in the front seat of my dads car listening to Stuart Henry on radio 1.
He played a track from Axe Victim and it was like, "bloody hell, got to get that".
I also remember hearing Between the Worlds, from Futurama, on the radio when I was sat in the bath and having that same feeling.
Don't ask me what I did last week, I can't remember!