PDA

View Full Version : The first album I ever had

JJack
06-01-2012, 06:05
I thought I'd lost it!

Did a bunch of rearranging over the last week. Today I stumbled across it: Traffic, John Barleycorn, I know every note of that LP. It is encoded on to my DNA.

Listening to Glad right now.

What was your very first album?

sparrow
06-01-2012, 11:23
Neil Ried - Neil Reid..was bout 7 or 8..got a copy for old times sake a couple of years ago for 50 p. Haven't listened to it yet and probably never will.

Werner Berghofer
06-01-2012, 11:34
Jack,

What was your very first album?

Free’s “Fire and water”, released 1970.

Werner.

prestonchipfryer
06-01-2012, 11:41
The Beatles: With the Beatles - 1963.

Roy S
06-01-2012, 13:28
Mott & Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Xmas presents 1973 along with an 'Ultra' Stereo to play them on.

Macca
06-01-2012, 13:39
Dire Straits -Love Over Gold - I was working at my Saturday job so I gave my mum the money to go and buy it for me - £4.95 IIRC - anyway got home that evening eager to give it a spin to find that my cousin had already unpackaged it and played it...which I thought was a bit cheeky.

Pete The Cat
06-01-2012, 21:35
A Readers' Digest LP - "Promenade Favourites". It features a range of cracking tunes including Rossini's "Thieving Magpie".

Straight after that young men with electric guitars took over. I think my next album may have been the first Queen album.

Pete

Artifolk
07-01-2012, 20:31
The Clash - London Calling 1979, bought this with my own money working as a paperboy, at the ripe old age of fourteen. This was the start of my love for music.

Joe
07-01-2012, 21:36
Rubber Soul by The Beatles. A Christmas present when I was 11. At first I didn't like it much, as it seemed less 'Beatle-y' than the other Beatles albums I knew (Help! and Beatles For Sale).

Marco
07-01-2012, 21:43
Bet it's worth a bob or two now, Joe (if you've kept it mint)! ;)

Marco.

WOStantonCS100
07-01-2012, 21:47
'Charlie Parker - Archetypes' given to me by my father. It is a reissue of 'The Essential Charlie Parker' which he kept for himself.

Joe
07-01-2012, 21:47
Ha! As it's been played hundreds of times on everything from a Dansette with autochanger to a Roksan Xerxes, I fear not. The sleeve's in reasonable nick, considering.

The first album I bought with my own money was The Beatles (aka The White Album). That's in better condition, mainly because my sister 'borrowed' it many years ago and AFAIK never plays it.

Marco
07-01-2012, 21:58
Lol - that one will probably be worth a couple of hundred quid... But I totally agree - records are there for playing and enjoying the music, not to collect like stamps, simply to accrue monetary value! :)

Marco.

Batty
08-01-2012, 00:48
My first 2 albums were purchased at the same time on cassette, Sgt. Peppers and Led Zep 1.

DanJennings
08-01-2012, 01:03
cassettes (bought on the same day with my first tape player some time in the late 80s) -
Michael Jackson - Bad
Queen - Night At The Opera
Led Zepp - II

first CD - Ugly Kid Joe - As Ugly As They Wanna Be

first CD album - Nirvana - In Utero

but I must admit the first music I owned was 'Spitting Image - The Chicken Song / I've Never Met A Nice South African' bought as a christening present by one of my sister's strange friends. I still have it for some reason

Haselsh1
08-01-2012, 15:40
'Stranded' by Roxy Music. I was fifteen at the time and just dating my first ever girlfriend who absolutely hated Bryan Ferry's voice and the whole 'glam' scene. This album was very quickly followed by 'For Your Pleasure' which was oh so much better. It is such a shame I discovered them the wrong way around.

Haselsh1
08-01-2012, 15:42
Lol - that one will probably be worth a couple of hundred quid... But I totally agree - records are there for playing and enjoying the music, not to collect like stamps, simply to accrue monetary value! :)

Marco.

I have a copy of 'Brain Salad Surgery' that has never had the seal broken on the clear plastic sleeve it came in :-)

Alex_UK
08-01-2012, 23:03
'Spitting Image - <snip> I've Never Met A Nice South African'

Just had to go to find that on You Tube, Dan - I remembered it vividly, even though it must be 25 years since since I saw/heard it last, and yet I can't even remember what I had for breakfast this morning... First ever record, ya say? Oh, let me think... Sure we've had a thread or two before on this... :wheniwasaboy:

;)

Jonboy
08-01-2012, 23:17
First single was BA Roberson Bang Bang Mummy bought it for me, can't remember my first album though:scratch:,

yes i think we've been here before with this thread

Alex_UK
08-01-2012, 23:27
First single was BA Roberson Bang Bang Mummy bought it for me, can't remember my first album though:scratch:,

yes i think we've been here before with this thread

Still got that on 7" single! And "to be or not to be" & "cool in kaftan" if I remember correctly. He may be a bit of a knob, though. :lol:

JJack
09-01-2012, 17:24
Well I see a common theme here, and that's that most of you started off with pretty darn good music.

Thought I'd pick out my own history with some of these:

Roxy Music: I used to play my sister's Roxy Music LPs as she was a big fan. I remember my elementary school teacher telling me not to sing "Love is the Drug and I neeeeeed to score"

Black Sabbath Christmas? - now THAT sounds like my kind of Christmas!

Promenades: I'm pretty sure I own this in a box set, deep, deep in that box in the basement that'll only get looked at if we sell the house.

London Calling: My #1 desert island rock set. I lost my copy during the 80s and found a decent one in 2000. Warped but playable.

Bwaze
09-01-2012, 17:37
http://s.dsimg.com/image/R-2477642-1286227002.jpeg

Agropop - Samo milijon nas je (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgRZ10o_KDI)

Really quite embarrassing, even here in Slovenia. Which didn't yet exist as a country in 1988 when this album came out...

baron
09-01-2012, 20:38
The Beatles With the Beatles

Reid Malenfant
09-01-2012, 20:44
I can't quite remember :doh: It'd be a toss up between OMD - Architecture & Morality or The Clash - London Calling, both on cassette :eyebrows:

aquapiranha
10-01-2012, 08:34
I cannot be sure of the order in which they were bought, but around the same time I went to buy Meatloaf's Bat out of hell, Rush's Power windows and Barclay James Harvest's Octoberon. I still love them all! Power Windows was released in '85 and it had just been released which means that year. I was influenced by friends and have been a hippy since!

bobbasrah
12-01-2012, 09:58
First single : Jose Feliciano - California Dreaming - LOST
First vinyl : (Rodrigo's Guitar Concerto - Yepes for my mum) Focus - Hocus Pocus
First cassette : Eagles - Desperado - LOST
First CD : Demon - British Standard Approved
First 24 bit - The Nordic Sound - 2L Audiophile Reference Recordings

morris_minor
12-01-2012, 13:55
A Hard Days Night. I'd just dragged my Mum to see the moptops at the pictures, and then spent all my pocket money on the mono LP. Still got it to this day, but it's a bit worn, having been subjected to the BSR record changer in my Dad's Ferguson radiogram. "And I Love Her" is still one of my favourite songs. :)

shane
12-01-2012, 14:34
First single Diamonds, Jet Harris and Tony Meehan
First album Shadows' Greatest Hits.

Bit of a theme going on here. Credibility slightly restored by the fact that backing guitar on Diamonds was played by one Jimmy Page.

First CD U2 Achtung Baby. 40th birthday pressie to go with the Arcam Alpha CD that came in the same wrapping paper.
Never owned a cassette player.